Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeanFHobart
    replied
    Hello John Runne..... Please call me Dean Hobart... 425-503-1882.

Thank You.

Leave a comment:

• csh-2z
    replied
    I can't believe I killed another thread with this announcement!

Leave a comment:

• ricmontoya
    commented on 's reply
    I second the warmer climate idea ;-)

• abbypond
    commented on 's reply
    Yes! Let's stick to the warmer regions so I can pack a cooler and sleep in my car like normal.

• csh-2z
    commented on 's reply
    I hope so. A lot of work is going into this.

• GrandpaRacer
    commented on 's reply
    Good job, I am sure these will be well attended!

• csh-2z
    replied
    BOD members do have to pay $50.00, which I was very disappointed about but, I guess is fair. Since this thread is hear, let me show you all one of the things a small group of us have been working on for the National Meeting.

The UN-CONVENTIONAL: The 2018 APBA National Meeting
    January 24 – 28, 2018. Chicago IL.
    The 2018 APBA National Meeting will be well worth attending. This year we are making some changes to just the standard group of meetings we’ve had in the past. Last year you the members asked, “What does APBA do for us?” You sent the message that changes must be made in the organization. The Board of Directors heard your plea.
    We created a committee to explore how to reverse the trend of shrinking APBA membership and better serve both the members and the clubs.
    The APBA Promotional Committee was established to identify areas where changes could take place and to develop a path to growth. The very first step is to deal with membership retention. We needed to provide the membership and clubs the tools necessary to succeed at the local level. Now, there are many resources available for local race promoters and clubs on our updated APBA website. Among the documents available are:
    • APBA Demographics
    • Event Checklist
    • Coast Guard/DNR support document
    • Sample documents: Event Budget, Host Site Proposal and Host Site Agreement, Sponsor Proposal, Sponsorship Agreement, and Ambulance/Vendor Agreement

The 2018 National Meeting will offer, for the first time, six seminars available for all.
    Come and learn how to improve your racing program, and that of your region.

Race Promotion Seminars (Two) – Learn some tips from the experts on how to generate income for your race through promotion. Learn how to approach a community with confidence and show the decision-makers how their community can benefit from an APBA event. Learn how to attract new members to the world of boat racing.
    Driver School Seminar – We will have a brainstorming session with the most successful facilitators in all categories, working together to teach clubs the best methods to hold a successful driving school at your race. We will develop a template of do’s and don’ts and a step-by-step outline toward success. Remember, all of us are responsible for the preservation of this sport.
    Data Logic Seminar – A representative from AIM Data Acquisition will present a 90-minute seminar on how best to use the Mychron Data Acquisition System. Many of us use the Mychron system to aid us in improving our performance on the water.
    Fuel Seminar – A Sunoco Racing Fuel representative will teach us how we can get the best performance out of our fuel.
    Propeller Seminar – Learn from some of our most experienced propeller builders about the science that goes into making your propellers work. Find out what information your prop builder needs to get the most out of your reworks. [CAN WE LIST ANY MFG NAMES?]
    Motor Mechanics and Inspection Seminar – Visit with factory representatives and builders of your motors. Learn from the best how to get the most out of your motor. Ask questions and present the issues that you have had with your motor. Learn how to troubleshoot problems when they arise and get tips from the winners’ circle to improve your motor’s performance. We expect to have representatives for most of the motors currently raced in APBA to be there to help you with all things technical. [CAN WE LIST ANY MFG NAMES?]
    Also, take this opportunity to learn how to inspect motors so you can pitch in at your local races and take the Inspectors tests to help the overworked local inspectors in your region.
    As you can see, the 2018 National Meeting has something for everybody to enhance your racing experience. All seminars will be held Friday and Saturday, January 26 – 27, 2018.
    Be there or get left behind the competition!
    Thank you,
    John Runne
    Promotional Committee Chairman

Leave a comment:

• ryan_4z
    commented on 's reply
    I did not go to the meetings last time because of the fifty.

I was very sad.

I went to the bar instead.

• Matt Dagostino
    commented on 's reply
    Adam...............now that you are on the BOD i guess you will find out. CONGRATS

• adamallen
    commented on 's reply
    I believe that the BOD also pays the entry fee.

• Matt Dagostino
    commented on 's reply
    Reno sounds like fun! Cheap airfare too!

• Big Don
    commented on 's reply
    I'm in for Reno/Vegas again.

• mercguy
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Dagostino View Post

Ryan.................National Meetings in part have been about making money hence you pay for EVERYTHING. If you remember years ago APBA Clubs bid on hosting the annual event and made big bucks. If i recall the New Jersey club decades ago made enough money to buy a new safety boat and motor!
    APBA then took control of the national meeting back in house and to this day control every aspect of it from location to its agenda and of course pricing for all the events. You not only have to pay to watch the SORC in action but the elected SORC members have to pay the same fees you do to come and keep APBA on track! I believe the only folks that get a free ride are the Board Of Directors.........the average cost to a SORC member to do the 4 day gala is around $1000-1200 which includes airfare, hotel, meeting and banquets and of course food and beer!!

If APBA is concerned about increasing attendance at National Meetings (which they should be) perhaps for first time attendees they can waive ALL fees and give the average member a taste of the political side of APBA in action! You are correct, it is ridiculous that a member (or non member) can not sit in on the meetings to see APBA in action without paying.
    ​1000-1200 is a fairly light estimate, plus add in the time you have to take off work!! I agree, there should be no charge for members to attend the meetings. I know it is expensive to put on this meeting, but maybe the BOD should find a way (sponsorship, etc or whatever) to pay for the Meetings and Awards Banquets............

​and have them in a warm climate!!! Sorry you Midwesterners/east coasters..............but Chicago, North Carolina, Detroit, etc is NOT where I want to be in the winter, especially when I am paying to attend.................I thought Reno/Vegas was a good place, warm and not super expensive................

Leave a comment:

• Big Don
    replied
    Not saying we should or should not charge to attend. But is the 50.00 really keeping anyone from coming? It's like entry fee's...it's the cheapest part of the weekend.

Plus it is pretty cheap entertainment. Where else can you watch us idiots argue about HOC points, over lap rule, DSR weight, boat number color, re-naming classes, reinstating engines we have already eliminated, engine parity, if we should eliminate 25SSH, pickle forks, lifting rails,

Leave a comment:

• Matt Dagostino
    replied
    Originally posted by ryan_4z View Post
    I love the Stock Commission meetings but I think it is ridiculous that as a member I cannot attend without paying!

I also love the idea of having race related informative seminars. Particularly regarding promotion because it is the common goal of those who attend this meeting to grow our sport.

Ryan.................National Meetings in part have been about making money hence you pay for EVERYTHING. If you remember years ago APBA Clubs bid on hosting the annual event and made big bucks. If i recall the New Jersey club decades ago made enough money to buy a new safety boat and motor!
    APBA then took control of the national meeting back in house and to this day control every aspect of it from location to its agenda and of course pricing for all the events. You not only have to pay to watch the SORC in action but the elected SORC members have to pay the same fees you do to come and keep APBA on track! I believe the only folks that get a free ride are the Board Of Directors.........the average cost to a SORC member to do the 4 day gala is around $1000-1200 which includes airfare, hotel, meeting and banquets and of course food and beer!!

If APBA is concerned about increasing attendance at National Meetings (which they should be) perhaps for first time attendees they can waive ALL fees and give the average member a taste of the political side of APBA in action! You are correct, it is ridiculous that a member (or non member) can not sit in on the meetings to see APBA in action without paying.
    Last edited by Matt Dagostino; 09-21-2017, 06:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X