X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deeougee
    started a topic Class Realignment

Class Realignment

Once again we continue to do the circle jerk! Since it was brought up in the Y321 cooling issue topic I figured I would start a separate post on the 20SSH versus CSH debate again so as not to take away from the cooling issue. It has been suggested that the 20SSH boats be slowed down, they are running almost C speeds, in fact some of us are with our Y80's and some with the restricted 302! Now the engine of choice for the 20 class is the Y321 and 302 both 25 ci engines. The 20 class started with the Y80 a 20 ci motor. So if both classes are running the same speeds why do we keep running both classes?! What mph would you want to slow the 20 class to? Restricting the C motor for 20 has never made any sense to me! If I want to go 55-60 I'll run ASH or 300SSH. Everyone keeps trying to fit the square peg into the round hole here! The APBA class structure really needs to be reviewed from top to bottom! What is the plan with the classes moving into the future? Are classes being defined by engine displacement or by speed or by some other factors that I don't know about? This make it up as we go is starting to get frustrating!!! What is the 1,2, 5 and 10 year plan? Having to take a motor out of the box and start modifying it to get it to cool is ridiculous! We've been on that topic now for how long? I've never had an issue cooling a Y80, 102 and 302. Back in the day we use to run the 80 above the bottom of the boat! Here's a novel idea maybe the people who have the cooling issue figured out can share it with everyone else so we can all move on! Now a little experiment has been going on in Ontario (TORC) this year. Some of you know that BSH in Ontario consists of the SW 20 and Hotrod at 1/2" below the bottom and 400lbs (same as APBA 25SSH if you run the SW 20). The Y80 was added to BSH as a probationary engine to the class because of the cost of purchasing a SW 20 right now with the money exchange, try to help boost numbers. Now the feedback on the course has been that the Y80 can hold its own straight up against the SW 20. In fact the 20 driver that competed twice in the class stated that it was easier to compete in B than 20 and could out corner the SW while the SW held an edge in chute speed. This was a stout #2 Y80 (150lbs compression both cylinders) outfit going up against 2 top boats in the class. So think about that one. Maybe the SW 20 should be allowed to compete in 20 at 1/2" and 400lbs? Anyways the current APBA class situation is a mess!

• Flatiron
    commented on 's reply
    I believe 300SSH is 420 lbs. As far as weight For a 300 runabout clas's I would probably go 440 as it seems like most of them have a lot of ballast added to make the CSR weight of 475

• DeanFHobart
    replied
    I'm all in for a 300 sealed type class for C size Runabout's. I would order a engine tomorrow.
    That is a great idea. What would be the weight? The 300 SSH is 400 lbs,,,,,,,,,.. Correct? Maybe the 300SS Runabout would be the same.

Leave a comment:

• Flatiron
    replied
    I'm all in for a 300 sealed type class for C size Runabout's. I would order a engine tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• deeougee
    commented on 's reply
    With more entries per class with realignment you could end up with a format similar to a supercross format where you have qualifying heats and last chance qualifying heats and a final etc. You could definitely get creative with the heat structure to make things more interesting. I don't know why you couldn't adjust the entry fees to reflect the change in class format. If we combine redundancies and increase the number of heats I suspect many people may run just one class and therefore save money on buying another different engine and boat to run another class to pick up more running time. We are doing it now with the yamato being able to run multiple classes with one motor. People could spend the extra money in other areas like more props, etc.

• Racerkyle20
    commented on 's reply
    I've always been for realigning classes. Personally I would like to see us run less classes, with more heats. Why do we need to race with only two heats a day. Why not three or four? Instead of me running four classes (CSH, 20, CSR, 25ssr) at two heats per class, I could run two classes with four heats. Still same amount of heats. If clubs think they'l lose money then charge a little more to recoup the loss of classes. Money for clubs and heats for me racing didn't change.And a far more fun format emerges in larger classes that combined (20 and CSH) with more possible elims and a final every race day.
    Last edited by Racerkyle20; 09-25-2017, 06:02 AM.

• reed28n
    commented on 's reply
    Please dont suggest that we would keep a new racer by putting them in the worst ride in the sport, a 100 lbs motor with a two blade propeller on an 11 foot boat. ugh

• reed28n
    commented on 's reply
    I left out the 321 because I left out the 303,304,305,306,307,308,309,310......318,319 and 320 - it is a model change by the manufacture. APBA is not required to make changes to the C class or the 20 class outside of its rules right now to accomodate a model change unless you see the new model dominate within the current rules. Pumping, drilling, cool tool etc. are all distractions from racers working to figure out what they need to run to compete. If your 321 doesn't cool at 1/2 then don't run it at the limit. Sheep are being herded into making external motor changes without changing set ups, making sure their bottom is flat, checking air trap depth, transom angle, trying different props, or checking internal clearances within the power head. This is racing and by its nature someone will figure it out and someone will be faster and parity will not exist. Until APBA buys back a super 102 or a known super 25 merc that dominates the class don't come after the rest of us for parity.

• Tunnelman801
    commented on 's reply
    Ryan & Reed, Why did you leave out Yamato 321? What classes will they run in? Or was the Y321,intentional left out?---William

• deeougee
    commented on 's reply
    Hydro's are running 60, I would think a runabout would be about 56-58 on a CSR. The CSR's run 68+. You can roll up a CSR, I rolled up Butch's Wings and they were a big boat and I weighed 170-175 lbs.

• deeougee
    commented on 's reply
    Don, been thinking about the marathon situation for awhile now also and adding up all the marathon races lost over the years. Marathon is the only way I would run runabout. Biggest bang for the buck. I'm wondering why marathon racing isn't more popular? It use to be big. Is there any marathon racing outside region 6 anymore? I would imagine a series could be built around marathon racing, especially with Top O being such a big race. Anyone have any thoughts on the marathon situation?

• ryan_4z
    commented on 's reply
    Wacusee Speedboats will build one!

• ryan_4z
    commented on 's reply
    Not at all sarcastic Don. We have no true runabout racing outside BSR and Marathon. Participation in closed course runabout classes is laughable at many local races.

• Big Don
    commented on 's reply
    Just what we need another class for Pater to kick everyones ...

• Big Don
    commented on 's reply
    Ryan with that structure could we bump entry fee lets say 10.00 and run 3 heats?

I know people get all hung up on entry fee's but it's the cheapest part of the weekend. It amazes me that if you bump entry fee 5.0010.00 how many scratch that second or third class. I just don't get it.

I'd spend 10.00 more for another heat.
Working...
X