No announcement yet.

321 heating issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guedo, If I recall you did win an elimination heat or two, not easy at the Nationals. Maybe it is a different topic but I think we should slow the 20ssH down. At Lawrence we can go nearly the same speeds as CSH due to the weight and height differences. The 20ssH class should be a stepping stone to CSH, a natural place for A drivers to migrate through on their way to CSH or DSH.
    John Adams

Comment

• Ram4x4
      Ram4x4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I understand the premise, but not sure I agree that 20 is a stepping stone to C. It's just a different class. The fact the speeds are similar is coincidental to the lower weights and height allowances. Realistically you don't see larger guys running 20, and if they do, they're not particularly competitive.

I do see 300 as more of a stepping stone between A and C though. I think 300 and C have more in common: same displacement, same hulls, closer weight requirements. Sure, 300 sits deeper and runs the stock 2-blade, but if you really wanted to, a 300 engine just needs a 3-blade prop and mounted a little higher to become a C boat.

I'm the new guy in my rookie season looking at buying another engine so I can run 2 classes without swapping engines. could someone please post a photo of a nose cone.

Comment

• Shane_B
      Shane_B commented
      Editing a comment
      Nose cone they are referring to is currently only allowed for mod classes (e.g., 500MH). Epoxied or welded on and then profiled, extends Yamato foot nosecone and has a water pickup in the front just above the skeg. Sorry, I don't have a photo but at next race look at the 500MHs and you'll see (they usually also extend the skeg).

I was taught at a young age a life lesson, KISS.

K. KEEP
    I. IT
    S. SIMPLE
    S. ST*****

The cool tool is simple. And as I have said in the past, my 302 runs at 330 degrees, up front or back in the crap.

Joe Johnson

Comment

In my opionion, if we don't get the 321 engine to cool under all racing circumstances, all the Yamato classes (other then 300ssh) will eventually die. Why, because they are not competitive in the 20ssh class at a lower height then the 302. And, for most don't cool very well with competitive set-ups.
      Solution? Cool Tool.
      Why? 1) It works, 2) easy to install, 3) only $50.00 and, 4) one system.

Oh, we have overheated 20 time this year! Our CSH went well over 400 degrees Last Sunday.

Lee Sutter

Comment

Originally posted by flatsmoke View Post
        In my opionion, if we don't get the 321 engine to cool under all racing circumstances, all the Yamato classes (other then 300ssh) will eventually die. Why, because they are not competitive in the 20ssh class at a lower height then the 302. And, for most don't cool very well with competitive set-ups.
        Solution? Cool Tool.
        Why? 1) It works, 2) easy to install, 3) only $50.00 and, 4) one system.

Oh, we have overheated 20 time this year! Our CSH went well over 400 degrees Last Sunday.

Lee Sutter
        I totally agree............ Yes, Yes, Yes.... The COOL TOOL is the way to go....... Simple, Cheap, and Fixes the problem.
        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Ah, I remember the good old days when I got back into C Stock racing and the only new motor was the 302 which was considered inferior to the omnipresent 102. The transom height was level with the bottom. It took some doing but we eventually got to that point with some interesting propellers and other tricks. But then the rule makers got involved and used the crutch of a safety rule to implement a technical solution to put in the low height without having the drivers vote on it as a technical rule change. And now you all want them to arbitrarily drop the height more, drill out water holes, add water picks or sprinkle pixie dust on the motor to magically cool it. I suppose they will say that any of those changes are "safety" rules as well instead of technical rules as they really are. How about some solid proposals and let the drivers vote on them as APBA rules require. This ain't NASCAR where the administration makes weekly rule changes.

Comment

Here's your solid proposal: Let drivers cool Yamatos however they want to.
            Dane Lance
            700-P
            CSH/500Mod

Comment

Matt,
              Have you discussed with Sam how to get your boat/motor to cool better?

Comment

• Matt Dagostino
                Matt Dagostino commented
                Editing a comment
                Of course Sam and i talk about cooling solutions............problem is the model 321 is hopeless. It needs much more water than is being provided..........the 302 is better but still on the edge. We have done all the little air trap, setback, lead positioning tricks blah blah blah. It helps but in the end the 'overheating' issue won't just go away. It shouldn't be this difficult....

Maybe Pater will share with everyone how he's figured it out , then share the prop numbers that he uses?
              "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

Why not just ask the Millers about the cool tool instead of a 2nd year of posts on here. They ran one in Depue..I am sure he has all the data you need
                sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

It's my opinion, the cool tool is a little fix to a big problem. A New racer will want to buy a new motor and 321s are not competitive. We set our boats to go around the course, turning and not blowing out. APBA selected to prevent blow out and cooling by limiting the height. UMI, USTS and NBRA do not have height restrictions. Guys and gals raise the motor where there little water coming to the motor down the straight a way. It only gets water in the turn when the boat is not lifting in the back. The longer the course the less water and it's especially bad in a race because of rough water. NBRA's courses are short, many .6 of a mile, so it has a chance to cool. We still run our 302 at 3/4 of an inch, because hot motors will slow down on the third lap. Some racers will cut the air trap in the back to reduce the lift. Others put 45 lbs(like us) right on the transom to reduce lift thus increasing the depth the motor. Large guys really can't transfer the weight to the very back. There is something to running 1/2 "tuck, allowing you to raise the motor. You see boats with less down force to counter act the tuck. By using any device(it will slow you down) to cool and give you peace of mind is worth something.
                  Last edited by Hydro doc; 09-15-2017, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Team B&H View Post
                    Ah, I remember the good old days when I got back into C Stock racing and the only new motor was the 302 which was considered inferior to the omnipresent 102. The transom height was level with the bottom. It took some doing but we eventually got to that point with some interesting propellers and other tricks. But then the rule makers got involved and used the crutch of a safety rule to implement a technical solution to put in the low height without having the drivers vote on it as a technical rule change. And now you all want them to arbitrarily drop the height more, drill out water holes, add water picks or sprinkle pixie dust on the motor to magically cool it. I suppose they will say that any of those changes are "safety" rules as well instead of technical rules as they really are. How about some solid proposals and let the drivers vote on them as APBA rules require. This ain't NASCAR where the administration makes weekly rule changes.
                    Sam,

I've been trying to contact you thru this medium & others to no avail. I have a question about an older Aristo-Craft & if you might be interested in lofting/building it for me. Please contact me att jschubert19j@gmail.com. If I don't hear from you, I'll assume there is no interest.

Comment

I saw a bone stock 321 win a heat, second overall, with a 12 boat field.

Looks like someone was able to conquer the beast. Problem solved!
                      Last edited by adamallen; 09-16-2017, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• flatsmoke
                        flatsmoke commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Don't you think a water cooled engine should cool when you buy it from the manufacturer?

Joe, Iam with Dennis, Please share with us how you changed the discharge tube to accommodate the 302 cooling system?---William

Comment

The 321 WILL without question overheat on marathon runabouts. Even with the inlet being drilled out.

Comment

Working...
                        X