Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat Racer's Glossary of Terms

Hello Racers and Fans,

I thought it might be fun to compile a list of terms that are unique to boat racing. Some of you may be familiar with urban dictionary (warning!: that site is not safe for work or younguns. Kids, ask your parents for permission before logging on). The site has a plethora of slang terms defined. I am curious to see if our boat racing language varies by region as does the English language. So please post your terms and definitions along with your location and maybe even who you learned the word through.
    -Nick Hooten

ALKY: Noun - methanol for fuel; Adjective - boat, driver, engine, fuel, race, racer . . . Presently in East Virginia

Comment

Screamers, the nervous reaction boat racing has on the digestive system on the way to a boat race.

Comment

• ricmontoya
        ricmontoya commented
        Editing a comment
        Also known a butterflies.

Arsehole: the guy inside you going into the first turn.

Comment

Here are a couple of terms I used to hear a lot back in the 70's when I was racing JSH, I would hear my Dad and other racers using these. Once in a while I'll use them or hear someone else as well, but not much any longer.

Wheel: Slang term for a propeller.
        Rollers: Slang term for waves, generally rolling waves before turning into "white-caps".

Chris Johnson
        111-Z
        Region 4

Comment

S_ _thouse or S_ _tter - slang for a bad flip.

Chicken fin - A fin mounted on the back of a runabout.

Jack it up - Raise the motor on the transom. (more common prior to 1987)

Tuck it under - Change the angle of the motor. (more common after 1987)

Roll it up - That is how you are supposed to turn a runabout. (more common prior to 1980)

Chop - Cutting off the guy slightly behind you on your inside as you enter and proceed around a turn. (since 1903 - current)

Barrel roll - Flipping sideways in a turn. (usually after getting chopped)

Brain bucket - Helmet

Cooler bobbing - Inserting your head into a large cooler filled with ice water and one beer bottle for the purpose of retrieving the beer bottle with your mouth.

Comment

• ricmontoya
            ricmontoya commented
            Editing a comment
            Yard Sale; the debris floating about after item #1 on your list.

Chip fin; West Coast term for item #2 on your list.

Hacked = Chop

#5; Wishing we could see more of this on the West Coast.

Dumb A$$ - When you and the entire beach knows this racer is going to dump..... 1903-current

Hammerd it, nailed it... Hitting the start right on

Comment

Originally posted by csh-2z View Post
            S_ _thouse or S_ _tter - slang for a bad flip.

Chicken fin - A fin mounted on the back of a runabout.

Jack it up - Raise the motor on the transom. (more common prior to 1987)

Tuck it under - Change the angle of the motor. (more common after 1987)

Roll it up - That is how you are supposed to turn a runabout. (more common prior to 1980)

Chop - Cutting off the guy slightly behind you on your inside as you enter and proceed around a turn. (since 1903 - current)

Barrel roll - Flipping sideways in a turn. (usually after getting chopped)

Brain bucket - Helmet

Cooler bobbing - Inserting your head into a large cooler filled with ice water and one beer bottle for the purpose of retrieving the beer bottle with your mouth.

Great entries 🤣
            -Nick Hooten

Comment

Hydroplane - Runabout with training wheels

Comment

• ricmontoya
                ricmontoya commented
                Editing a comment
                Runabouts require better body English, a big hit with the ladies.
                Me Three ;-)

Originally posted by krazy karl View Post
              Hydroplane - Runabout with training wheels
              Runabout - pleasure boat for drivers scared of hydroplanes

(meant no disrespect, just having a little fun!)
              When it comes to boat racing and the wife, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission, and of course I spent a number of nights sleeping on the couch!

Comment

• krazy karl
                krazy karl commented
                Editing a comment
                Me too.....

Rev Stick: Thin wooden shims to "Jack Up" the motor on the transom.
              sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

"Fart-stone,"

a block of pumice, usually about two feet square and maybe 4" thick, cut very flat. Used to take off high spots from the aft end of the bottom of the boat, and reveal low spots that might need filling. The process of grinding the bottom with this pumice block sometimes gave off an odor of hydrogen sulfide (the pumice being of volcanic origin), hence the popular term . . .

"Bounce-pipe,"

slang term (at least in the NW) for a 2-stroke expansion chamber in their earlier days, 1960s; semi-descriptive of the action of the acoustic waves "bouncing" around inside the chamber.

"Tipping the can,"

adding some percentage of nitromethane to your tank of alky (see dwhitford, above), thought by many to be a "speed secret" (see below)

"Speed secret,"

one of a great number of little alterations that might be made to a perfectly good racing outfit in hopes of making up for your (MY) usual lousy starts . . . .

Last edited by Smitty; 09-04-2017, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• ricmontoya
                  ricmontoya commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've still got a boat load of them. Please buy them up they're stinking up the garage.

AKA.... Stink Stone or Stink Block !!!!!!!!!!
                sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Smoke---Speed As in"he smoked him."

Comment

Steaming.....The water vapor that has turned to a gas due to high heat, usually seen from shore, right before ....
                    Mushy.....The feeling the throttle gets when a motor is running to hot, right before....
                    Ring Job....The work done after heating one's motor past the normal point.
                    When it comes to boat racing and the wife, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission, and of course I spent a number of nights sleeping on the couch!

Comment

• GrandpaRacer
                      GrandpaRacer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Steaming happens just before 'he stuck it!'
                  Working...
                  X