Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAKE BOAT RACING GREAT AGAIN

red hat.jpg Let’s make boat racing GRATE AGAIN,
    It’s getting harder and harder to next to impossible to find places to test anymore, and with this being said don’t you guys think its time to start adding testing to the schedules? Even as little as 30 minutes before the race would be a tremendous help to those of us who drive for miles and have questions and or worries if our motor is going to preform or not.
    I understand that many clubs do have testing on their race schedules and that is awesome, but we need more.
    As clubs and originations (APBA,NBRA and USTS) we need to join together and help one another out before the interest and numbers dwindle down to nothing.
    It’s my understanding that recently some mod guys were told they were not welcome to test with the pro guys because the noise hurt their ears! WHAT!!!
    We give the J boats time to test to see if the prop they picked out of a hat will plane their boat out, and when you think about it, when are we going to let the J parents just buy their props so they know what to expect out of their boat or just change the rules to lower the motors to insure planning, or maybe give everybody on plane testing?
    With Dayton record runs coming up, not sure if myself and some of my racing buddies are willing to drive the distance wondering what our motors, boats, props are going to do when the green flag drops.
    Last edited by modsquad; 07-24-2017, 03:16 AM.

While I don't disagree with you on testing at race sites, some places just can't do it with the schedules on Saturday or Sunday. I can speak for Seattle Outboard and tell you we barley have time to run all our own heats during the weekend.....That's a good and bad problem to have at our races. BUT it's an even bigger issue at bigger races like Yelm and Dayton. Yelm has always had testing on Friday, then racing 40+ heats on Saturday and 40+ heats on Sunday. It's pricey too. We have to pay for ambulance and Sheriff at Yelm, with the sheriff being a huge expense. It's SOA's most expensive race of the year, by a long shot. Pretty sure Dayton is similar to Yelm with the amount of heats run and expense.

While APBA does give clubs the option to have a test day on Friday and not pay for additional insurance, club's are still responsible for other expenses. If I were you and you want sanctioned testing at a race site on Friday, why not contact the race director (well in advance mind you) and see how you can help make it happen.

Besides expenses the other barriers are time off work for volunteers to be there and the race committee planning for it well ahead of time.

If you want to test at Dayton, I would pick up the phone and call the race director if it's not too late already (5 weeks until that race). Or test on your own time before the race as well....
    Last edited by Racerkyle20; 07-24-2017, 04:37 AM.
    Kyle Bahl
    20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Kyle makes an excellent point. TRORA has had Friday testing at Franklin and we will have some at Kittanning after the driver school. While there is an additional expense to be aware of and a long schedule that you need to get through, the biggest issue is your already stretched thin race workforce now have another day of labor at the races. At Franklin, I had volunteers there on Wed to start setting up and I am going to have to take off both Thurs and Friday to make sure everything is set up at Kittanning. Then the majority of those same volunteers (who usually don't test because they are too busy working to make sure everything is ready for Sat) end up working all weekend putting on the race. And yes, if we didn't want to do it, we wouldn't do it but the flip side to that is at some point those workers get tired of busting a** all weekend and then what happens to the race/ club?

So I say to everyone who wants to test before the races, you need to show up a day early with ALL of your buddies to help set up the race site and then volunteer to man the course boats during testing. Then also volunteer to help during the weekend (and not just turnboat) but race site work. Set up and tear down, making sure there is gas in every boat and plenty of bouy's made, etc! Those that put on the race have a list a mile long of things that need done and never turn down help.

Race Committees would be more willing to do extra stuff if there are extra bodies to help lessen the workload.
      Brian 10s

Comment

Other than the APBA nationals and races on the west coast. there is no Pro races to turn them down. USTS doesn't run Mod classes, But the USTS let mod drivers test at Constantine last year or the year before ( not sure )...They just had to join for insurance purposes. I doubt it had anything to do with noise
        sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

• john527
          john527 commented
          Editing a comment
          I was turned down to test with you guys this year at Constantine, I guess my 750 mod last year was too much noise for someone!

• DiGia54D
          DiGia54D commented
          Editing a comment
          This i did not know and its pretty unfortunate that one person had the problem
          Last edited by DiGia54D; 07-24-2017, 12:58 PM.

• Bob Rusnak
          Bob Rusnak commented
          Editing a comment
          Nothing to do with noise. The USTS will be at Depue for their nationals and any exhaust is welcome as Constantine.. Actually, the Mod/Pro nationals were pretty good. Too bad to much politics are involved and the Pro's elected to not go. In some of the Pro classes there are very few boats to really make a race or put on a show. I know it would never happen but maybe a few of the strong Mods, (750/850) could add to the event. Just my opinion.

John527, don't know who you talked to, but I know we had a mod testing with us a few years ago at Constantine and at Depue both. Noise???? A lot of the guys still racing with us raced the Quincy's as I did and I don't know if you have heard a 4 cylinder Konig or Konny fire up, Noise, problem, not a chance.

Comment

• modsquad
          modsquad commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Kurps said NO!

• john527
          john527 commented
          Editing a comment
          Bill Kurps said his ears are still affected from last years testing at Constantine, as a referee he should know to wear ear protection.

Wayne, We put pros 125's on at the Franklin, PA race and have them scheduled again at the Kittanning, PA race. If another class (non-capsule boats) would commit to showing up, I would be happy to put them on our sanction and since we have testing on Friday at both sites, they could then test.

Jeff
        5-P

Comment

Jeff, I meant PRO only races...there is none for APBA. Reg 1 has 125 and 250 on the schedule all the time... but its ME and Jones and Cronin..lol

sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

Originally posted by modsquad View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]n456917[/ATTACH] Let’s make boat racing GRATE AGAIN,
            It’s getting harder and harder to next to impossible to find places to test anymore, and with this being said don’t you guys think its time to start adding testing to the schedules? Even as little as 30 minutes before the race would be a tremendous help to those of us who drive for miles and have questions and or worries if our motor is going to preform or not.
            I understand that many clubs do have testing on their race schedules and that is awesome, but we need more.
            As clubs and originations (APBA,NBRA and USTS) we need to join together and help one another out before the interest and numbers dwindle down to nothing.
            It’s my understanding that recently some mod guys were told they were not welcome to test with the pro guys because the noise hurt their ears! WHAT!!!
            We give the J boats time to test to see if the prop they picked out of a hat will plane their boat out, and when you think about it, when are we going to let the J parents just buy their props so they know what to expect out of their boat or just change the rules to lower the motors to insure planning, or maybe give everybody on plane testing?
            With Dayton record runs coming up, not sure if myself and some of my racing buddies are willing to drive the distance wondering what our motors, boats, props are going to do when the green flag drops.
            For those of us who can remember the 1960's (hey day of stock outboard racing) not much has changed in terms of the number of classes (probably more now than back in the day) but what is different is the fact that many of today's classes run obsolete engines aka OMC 15, Merc 15, Merc 25SS, Yamato 102, Merc 44SS, etc,. It would make sense if the classes for these engines were growing in numbers but I think history says otherwise. Sidewinder, Yamato and Tohatsu are the only "current" engines that have a chance of building a base with basic A,B,C,D classes. J-class is unfortunately problematic because of the obsolescence (aging engines) and scarcity of parts. Maybe not all classes need runabouts? Maybe runabouts run on Saturday and Hydros on Sunday allowing both days for some testing time? Maybe its time to re-think stock outboard racing from a traditional perspective to a future look perspective?

We have seen what obsolescence has done to OPC racing...45SST, SST-60, SST-120, Mod-U, etc,. Hardly anyone left and declining each year not because people didn't enjoy OPC racing but because engines and parts dried up. Same could happen in Stock outboard if you hang-on too tightly to the past. Just my opinion after running both divisions.

Comment

Testing on Friday is a great idea. We've been doing it at Rock Falls, IL for the last few years. Everyone gets more boat time, people from the town come out to watch, and we have a great time!
              Friday testing is a great option if clubs can make it happen.

Comment

• Racerkyle20
                Racerkyle20 commented
                Editing a comment
                We've done it at Mt. St. Helens the past few years besides the above mentioned Yelm. Has worked great if weather cooperates. Good luck this week! Miss you guys.

Testing in Depue is Wednesday and Thursday. It works out good

Comment

Working...
              X