Passing of Ralph W. Yost JR. (Red)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passing of Ralph W. Yost JR. (Red)

Dislike telling of the passing on the death of Reds Yost numbers 66-P and 166-P. Racing from 1951 until 1977. Rich Crafts to Sid-Crafts to Speedliners and back to a Rich Craft when he won the 1976 Nationals at Hinton. AU, BU and he even had Charlie Bachelor's DU for a year. Also breaking a number of Kilo records, in the Sid against such others as Craig Dewald and Bob Hering at Beloit, WI. 1960.
    He spent a short time in a hospital with advance cancer of throat and bone.
    He was one the most interesting man I have ever know. We would share how to make a Mercury 'Mark'-H engine faster. We shared interest in car, motorcycle and anything motorized or mechanical. We drove to the Indy 500 when Bobby Rahal won and went to Reading (PA) for dirt track racing.
    Until a week before his hospitalization, we would call each other and converse about the car race on TV was good or bad as far as a broad cast and if the race even good.
    I have lost a good friend. For the few left who raced against him or know him, let us remember those times.
    R. C. Hawie

I remember cheering for Red in "B" at the '76 nationals in Hinton, may have even won a little wager on that one!

Comment

Condolences to his family and friends. Being from opposite sides of the country, I didn't know him well, but I for sure knew of him.

I was thinking that he won the "BU" Nationals in 1976 at Hinton, WV in a Hedlund runabout... Is that correct?
      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Originally posted by DeanFHobart View Post
        Condolences to his family and friends. Being from opposite sides of the country, I didn't know him well, but I for sure knew of him.

I was thinking that he won the "BU" Nationals in 1976 at Hinton, WV in a Hedlund runabout... Is that correct?
        Red drove a Rich Craft in BSR at Hinton in 1976, Dean.

Red Yost Hinton 1976-cropped.jpg
        Last edited by Heliarc; 06-30-2017, 10:11 AM.

Comment

I think he won the 1959 Nationals on Green Lake, Seattle, Washington too. He ran a Sid Hornet.
          Sean Byrne

Comment

Originally posted by Heliarc View Post

Red drove a Rich Craft in BSR at Hinton in 1976, Dean.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n456318[/ATTACH]
            Thanks. Was "Joltin Jane" a boat that was previously owned by Jane Smith?
            sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• dwhitford
              dwhitford commented
              Editing a comment
              I wondered the same thing, Dean, but I never knew Jane to drive anything other than hydroplanes. She handed me my a$$ in A Alky Hydro a few times when we were both running Loopers..
              Last edited by dwhitford; 07-01-2017, 04:35 AM.

Originally posted by DeanFHobart View Post

Thanks. Was "Joltin Jane" a boat that was previously owned by Jane Smith?
            Named after his wife

Comment

Originally posted by John Schubert View Post
              Named after his wife
              Thanks John. I see another famous boat racer in the picture... 24-P.
              sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

I ended up with the "B" Sid "Bathtub" named "Joltin Janie" which was his wife's name. I believe the boat was about a 1953, I totally restored the boat & ran it, great handling boat, in fact I liked it better than the later 1955 Sid "Hornet" I had. I also talked with Rich & he agreed that he liked the Bathtub better than the later Hornet he drove. I sold it many years ago & it sold again & now sits in a collection at Utica, N.Y. with a friend of mine.
                ​Ronald

Comment

Picture of Red Yost boat "Joltin Janie" as I found it many years ago & also a picture of it restored & running & pic of it in my friends collection.

Comment

Working...
                  X