information on a craig craft hydro probably A stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• information on a craig craft hydro probably A stock

Hey all, I joined to see if I could find some more information on a Hydro my Uncle picked up the other day. It has been sitting for a long time and the family He bought it from said that their father bought it from his friend Ron Messenger while he was visiting in florida. I posted up some pictures on screamandfly and boatracingfacts so far and found out that this is a craig craft hydro and that by the 70's Ron was mostly Doing alcohol races. does anyone have anymore information?? I have reached out to Mark Demaray who built and raced the original Craig Craft hydros. He seems to think this particular boat is probably built from plans that Craig was selling as it is a little different at the front from the boats he built.

More information on the boat is that the family thinks it was the #23... probably F23 and painted black when they got it.

also, My uncle would "like" to make this a period correct boat. from what mark says these boats were designed for ASH. what would a correct circa early-mid 70's ASH motor be and cost to setup. not necessarily a full race setup but something that looks the part and gets "good" performance. on the other flip side, if there is a more modern drive that will get this boat on the water while the vintage motor is being found what would you suggest for that??
    Attached Files

How long is this boat? Need more pics of the front & sides & cockpit?

Comment

Hoping to get some more this weekend. my uncle has it at his shop and only sent me a couple from his dying phone. it is exactly 9 feet from nose to transom.

Comment

The merc kg-4 engine or MK 15 probably was used in ASH in the 70's. Until you can find one for restoration I would use the OMC A or sidewinder for a ride. You might base that decision on cost. You really need to hear from the guys who ran that type equipment back then.

Comment

• Graham
          Graham commented
          Editing a comment
          Also, if you can locate someone who has a collection of the old Boat Sport Magazine's circulated during the late 50's into the 60's you may find mention of Ron Messenger.

• revkev6
          revkev6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Graham, my uncle is Tim Chapman. He runs a body shop in the Springfield mass area that specializes in hot rods and antique car restoration. We did a 71 correct craft separator many years ago. What class is AU and BU? Did he have children? Some people suggested on other sites that they didn't think he ran A class boats at the time this boat was built.

• Graham
          Graham commented
          Editing a comment
          Today, AU is ASR and BU is BSR. Both are runabout style hulls which can be referred to as Utility's. Hence, AU is A Utility, etc.. Both classes in my day were Stock. The AU engines used were Merc KG-4 and MK 15 (aka: a pumper). BU engines used were Merc 20h and Champion Hot Rod. FYI - I do not know any personal information concerning Ron Messenger.
          Last edited by Graham; 06-17-2017, 12:51 PM.

I have a fully restored KG-4, but I want top dollar for it on the collector market: $1000 . . . price negotiable for a racer. Other pics are available, + a full pic history of the rebuild & resto. The balanced ASH prop from Tom Barrett (thru Craig DeWald) and the factory steering bar come with the little engine.
        Last edited by dwhitford; 06-16-2017, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• Graham
          Graham commented
          Editing a comment
          Motor looks great. Brings back many good memories.

definitly looks like a craig craft. Most all of them had a ventalated transom like it shows in the pictures
        mike ross

Comment

Managed to swing by the shop for a couple minutes before diagnosing the ignition on a vintage stock car.

Comment

I really doubt that Ronnie ever raced that boat. I first met him in 1962 and he owned some A Stock stuff but raced alcohol burners himself. I don't think there has ever been a Konig bolted on that boat. So yes, a KG-4 would be the correct engine. - Tim Chance

Comment

Originally posted by T Chance View Post
              I really doubt that Ronnie ever raced that boat. I first met him in 1962 and he owned some A Stock stuff but raced alcohol burners himself. I don't think there has ever been a Konig bolted on that boat. So yes, a KG-4 would be the correct engine. - Tim Chance
              thanks Tim, did he have others driving the A stock boats?? this being a craig craft would not have been built until probably the mid 70's??

Comment

Originally posted by revkev6 View Post

thanks Tim, did he have others driving the A stock boats?? this being a craig craft would not have been built until probably the mid 70's??
                Ronnie got an A/B Swift from me and it was raced in Florida as an A Stock in the 60's. After that I don't know I only saw him at Pro races. I know his last Pro 250 Hydro (formerly know as an A Outboard Hydro) was a Pugh. Its history was Messenger to Hooten to Bradley to me to the bonfire.

Comment

Originally posted by T Chance View Post
                  Ronnie got an A/B Swift from me and it was raced in Florida as an A Stock in the 60's. After that I don't know I only saw him at Pro races. I know his last Pro 250 Hydro (formerly know as an A Outboard Hydro) was a Pugh. Its history was Messenger to Hooten to Bradley to me to the bonfire.
                  thanks, anyone know bud gann out of florida?? I've seen him post that he built boats for Ron and Hooten?? wondering if he may have more information?

Comment

• dwhitford
                    dwhitford commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Winnard ''Bud'' Gann advertises on this forum as Aero Marine Design. His ad with contact info normally appears right below the list of topics on the Home Page.

• revkev6
                    revkev6 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    thanks Dwhitford! shot him an email

Just for the Halibut, for future reference...here's every issue of BOAT SPORT magazine, and more !

http://www.boatsport.org./

Comment

Working...
                  X