good old days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good old days

Al Redmond was from Gouverneur, NY. His aunt ran Ninas Tavern. When he wasn't operating his backhoe business, he was a bouncer at his aunt's tavern. In the 1960's, he did well in alky racing and was an excellent driver. Charley Redmond was from Savannah, Ga. He raced in NOA in F hydro. He was one of the first to run a 6cyl. Alky deflector on a marchetti. Bill Rucker Sr. Did the same. Now back to the crescents. I remember Chuck Howgate in his konig vc racing against the Dutchman, Willy Kerjes in his alky crescent going down the backstretch bumping chines with each other. No love lost there. Phil Lord, Ogdensburg NY. Cabover 2

Lot of good racers out of New York. Chick LaRose at one time now in Florida. And is on here by the way and goes by Chicks, and Mitch Meyer are a couple I know. Bill Rucker Jr showed his dad's six years,ago.

Comment

Not NY but Armand Hebert coming from the other side of the bridge at Valleyfield and hitting the start right on was magic.

Comment

• dwhitford
        dwhitford commented
        Editing a comment
        Armand was from Ville de Lery, PQ, almost a suburb of Valleyfield. He was always a force to be reckoned with, and won numerous Canadian and American championships. He was also comical. He stuttered when speaking English, but not in French. He's been dead (prematurely!) lo these many years. The story I heard was he got drunk with buddies one late night in the 1970s, dove into the Saint Lawrence, hit his head on an underwater piling, and thus exterminated himself . . . age less than 40.
    Working...
    X