good old days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good old days

just heard from Bill Hoctor, one of the Jersey boys, who had that sweet running C Crescent. All the best. Phil Lord One of the alky bunch from Ogdensburg, NY

Yes I for sure remember those Super "C"s. Those stock Hydro outfits would run in the 90's. They were fun to watch.
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Originally posted by DeanFHobart View Post
      Yes ver I for sure remember those Super "C"s. Those stock Hydro outfits would run in the 90's. They were fun to watch.
      Dean Mine was the "allky" version. Super "C" was the gas version, about 40HP difference !

Comment

Originally posted by bill hoctor View Post

Dean Mine was the "allky" version. Super "C" was the gas version, about 40HP difference !
        And yes I do also remember the alky version. They were rocket ships.
        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

I was impressed by the silence . Good Design!

Comment

The Ogdensburg racers I remember are.
            You Phil, I met you once or twice.
            Sovey; the last time I saw him he was building an inboard - 5 litre I think.
            John Hannan. I bought a 6x9 Record A Anzani wheel from him and worked it into my best ASR wheel. $25.
            Buzz Godfrey. I hung around with him racing and skiing.
            Wayne and Chick LaRose were always glad to give me advice when I started out.
            Ed Desere.
            Bill Villhauer. The last time I saw him he was running a Marchetti ASH ' Kathy's Clown'. I heard he got a deflector B alky that was faster than it should have been later.
            There may be some I have left out, but thats a lot of racers from one place.

Comment

• bh/
              bh/ commented
              Editing a comment
              Was Redmond not from near there ?
              He entered a Hubbell PR on a McDonald cab-over ,
              'Wee-Willie-Go" in the 1961 John Ward races in Picton, and made the finals out of 90 some entrys

• dwhitford
              dwhitford commented
              Editing a comment
              Brian, there was an Al Redmond, a tavern owner from Gouverneur, NY, 35-40 miles away from Ogdensburg. He raced with that crowd. Al had a McDonald cabover in the mid-1960s, but then was running a 2-cylinder FC Koenig on it. I never recall his running a PR.

But I think another guy named Redmond (not Al) also raced out of the Midwest somewhere. I do recall Al racing his FC cabover rig at an inland lake near Picton, ONT in summer of 1964 or '65.

• rumleyfips
              rumleyfips commented
              Editing a comment
              There's a picture of 'Willie Go " in rough water somewhere but I can't find it. I thought it was on the Fishers Landing site but no luck.

Some O'Dea Adds;
            Brian Hendrick, #66 F
            "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

Holy crap, 90mph in a C boat? I'm guessing these "super" C's were a bit larger, closer to a D today?

What happened to the super C class? Go away due to lack of engines or drivers?
              Dane Lance
              700-P
              CSH/500Mod

Comment

• rumleyfips
                rumleyfips commented
                Editing a comment
                I think the Crescent cylinders were chrome plated on aluminum. The chrome had a bad habit of flaking off and ruining the engine.

• dwhitford
                dwhitford commented
                Editing a comment
                No, Dane, the Crescent Super Cs were 500cc gassers with Bing Carbs. The alky Crescents had bigger Amal carbs, if I'm not mistaken (Bill Hoctor, correct me if I'm wrong). And Brad Snow's Super C really would run 90+.

The last time I ran on the Connecticut River in East Hartford, 1979, I think only one other guy besides Brad had a Super C to run, so the officials grouped 'em in with us A (250cc) Alky guys. Brad won one heat going away. Mike Schmidt and I diced it out for 2nd & 3rd, and there were a couple of exciting place changes between Mike and me during that heat. Mike took 2nd.

Some 145 Inboards raced there that year too. At the post-race party, a 145 driver asked me, ''Dave how fast do you go?''

''Probably top out in the middle-high 80s on a course like this,'' I replied.

''We run in the mid-90s,'' the 145 guy said,''So why are you Outboard guys turning so much quicker lap times???''

It was at about this time that Volvo-Penta bought Crescent, and my understanding is that Volvo was not interested in any longer supporting the racing program. So the engines and parts supply dried up.
                Last edited by dwhitford; 05-15-2017, 06:59 AM.

• Ram4x4
                Ram4x4 commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah, thanks for the history lesson. I like hearing/learning about these things :-)

What a shame on that engine. I looked at the ads bh/ posted above and it shows some of the specs. That looked like it was a nice engine. Super C would be a really fun class.

This pic , by Mike Rorke c1965, Valleyfield.
              Any one know who Crescent V-F 60s.jpg it is ?
              May be a stocker by the BING carbs .
              Last edited by bh/; 05-14-2017, 04:24 PM.
              Brian Hendrick, #66 F

Comment

• rumleyfips
                rumleyfips commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks like the T shirt says stock outboard nationals Beloit.

Dick O` Dea came to a KC Speedboat Assn. race at St Joe Mo. brought Billy Seebold a alky Crescent tp drive. Billy killed them in the C alky race then proceeded to step up to the D- F combined race and did the same thing. First time any of the Midwest folks had seen one. I was totally amazed. Art K

Comment

Originally posted by Art K View Post
                Dick O` Dea came to a KC Speedboat Assn. race at St Joe Mo. brought Billy Seebold a alky Crescent tp drive. Billy killed them in the C alky race then proceeded to step up to the D- F combined race and did the same thing. First time any of the Midwest folks had seen one. I was totally amazed. Art K
                Can't get much better than Dick O'Dea and Billy Seebold.
                sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Brian : You posted a picture of 108N Al Redmond Willie Go on a Ted Jones Hydro thread on boat racing Facts. I could only find it on something called vbulleten and could not bring the picture up.

Comment

Brian: You posted a picture of 108N al Redmond Willie Go on a Jones Hydro thread on Boat Racing fact 11 years ago. For some strange reason I could only find it on something called vbulletin and the picture would not come up.

Comment

when i raced back in the 70's region 4 had 2 of them, tommy barrett and his racing buddy(can't remember his name but we called him captain since he was a capt in the army). they were very fast and very very quiet. a stealth engine, it would pass you and you still didn't hear it.

frank novotny
                      52-E

Comment

John; -here is that pic of Al Redmond in Picton, 1961.
                        He probably was so impressed with Konig's new 2cyl FC
                        [that won] he bought one .
                        Pic taken with my mother's (old) Kodak 620
                        Brian Hendrick, #66 F

Comment

• rumleyfips
                          rumleyfips commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I had not seen the first picture but I found it through Google images today. There's one of Willie Go in rough water but I can't find it and its driving me nuts. I like the high teck camera.
                      Working...
                      X