Need Photo of vintage Stock Outboard JU rig running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Photo of vintage Stock Outboard JU rig running

I am working on some trophies and would like to use a photo of a vintage JU rig. Would need permission to use the photo also.
    Cooper Jess
    good1@goodprinting.net

Look at boatsport.org There is sure to be a photo there that you can capture.

Comment

Cooper, Here's a couple circa 1966,1967 , the next year was not as good, obviously I was going backwards in points!
      Hope these help
      Thanks
      Herb

Comment

• rumleyfips
        rumleyfips commented
        Editing a comment
        Is that a Casta?

go look on Junior outboard racing on facebook....there are a bunch of them

Comment

There were lots of JU Runabouts back in those days all over the country. J Stock Hydro started in 1966. The Mercury J-60 Motor was first raced in 1968...... I think. Am I correct? Anyone, Anyone, Anyone? Was the correct model name J-60 or 60-J?

What were the Mercury models besides the Mark 5 that were used for the J classes, before the J-60 came out?
        Last edited by DeanFHobart; 05-05-2017, 05:45 PM.
        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• bh/
          bh/ commented
          Editing a comment
          -the motor I recall being used most was the KF-5, which preceded the Mark 5. (which had the neutral clutch)
          The KF-5 always seemed to be more popular, possibly because of a one tooth difference in l/u
          gear ratio. Some (all ?) of the Mark 5s had Phelon mags, although that Bendix mag did not seem to
          have the issues one found with it on the KGs and Mark 20s .

Cooper,

Mike Helm won the J National Championship in 1954 at DePere WI. His dad was a PR guy (photographer) at Mercury and I know he has a stack of great 8 x 10 photos of the race. I can't imagine there there aren't any of his own son. I don't have a phone number for him but know he lives in Waukesha

Comment

THANKS for the great response. I think I have what I need.

Cooper

Comment

That boat is a Craig Craft built by Craig Selvage. Thanks for the question. That was probably the nicest price of furniture I ever drove! I wish I could find it!

Comment

Originally posted by Team B&H View Post
              Cooper,

Mike Helm won the J National Championship in 1954 at DePere WI. His dad was a PR guy (photographer) at Mercury and I know he has a stack of great 8 x 10 photos of the race. I can't imagine there there aren't any of his own son. I don't have a phone number for him but know he lives in Waukesha
              Actually Mike's Dad, Sterling Helm was an engineer involved with the Quality lab in Cedarburg for Mercury. I think there was a picture of Mike in his J in Hank Bowman's Stock Outboard Handbook. I know that Mike raced AU with a Sid bathtub which was on E bay recently restored. Mike always had very good engines as Sterling always set perfect engine parts aside for Mike. I also got a perfect crankshaft for my 20H when I broke the original one. I can remember a bunch of us, Keith Stippich, Deny Berghauer, and some others I can't remember, Helped Mike rig the very First Mark 70 H on his Swift big D at the Pabst trophy race at South Shore Park where they ran the free for all on Lake Michigan inside the Breakwater. It was Rough so Mike couldn't really get it dialed in and I thought it was top heavy, really a handful to handle in those waves. Jon Walters 65W in those days as odd numbers were for amateurs, even for pros.
              Jon Walters

Comment

Originally posted by jon66w View Post

Actually Mike's Dad, Sterling Helm was an engineer involved with the Quality lab in Cedarburg for Mercury. I think there was a picture of Mike in his J in Hank Bowman's Stock Outboard Handbook. I know that Mike raced AU with a Sid bathtub which was on E bay recently restored. Mike always had very good engines as Sterling always set perfect engine parts aside for Mike. I also got a perfect crankshaft for my 20H when I broke the original one. I can remember a bunch of us, Keith Stippich, Deny Berghauer, and some others I can't remember, Helped Mike rig the very First Mark 70 H on his Swift big D at the Pabst trophy race at South Shore Park where they ran the free for all on Lake Michigan inside the Breakwater. It was Rough so Mike couldn't really get it dialed in and I thought it was top heavy, really a handful to handle in those waves. Jon Walters 65W in those days as odd numbers were for amateurs, even for pros.
                Lots of really great racing history here. Can anyone answer my questions above if you can please.

Thanks.
                sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• champhotrod
                  champhotrod commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dean,
                  The Merc 60-J came out in 1968 like you said. They fire-saled some in the early 70's as they didn't all sell and I bought one then, Can't remember where it went. The only one time I ran J hydro I ran a Mark 6 in 1967 on a "A" Hansen Hull to fill in for the Mack girls. I did not pay much attention to the J stuff early on
                  but it seemed the hot engines where a combination of parts from all 3 engines, KF5 gearcase, and Mark 5 and Mark 6 powerhead parts, both the Phelon and Bendix ignitions seemed to work.
              Working...
              X