Truly Stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truly Stock

With all this talk about resurgence of the OMC and further confusion about modified Yamatos I just wanted to remind everyone that there is a truly stock option in outboard racing. Repeat: Stock is not dead! Sidewinder racing engines allow for box stock racing in the A and B classes. When you get tired of constantly modifying your Yamato, give Racing Outboards a call! They provide the only (non-sealed) truly stock option our sport has had in decades!
    Ryan Runne
    9-H
    Wacusee Speedboats
    ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Well said Ryan. I received my A SW late last year, broke it in, and went testing. Jetting was spot on out of the box and from what I can see, speeds are there too.

It was really nice to strap on the motor and know that I didn't have to do anything except general maintenance to go fast and have fun.
    http://vitalire.com/

Comment

• guedo499
      guedo499 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sure I'll have to, but I've tested at density altitudes from -100 to 1500 and as a whole, wouldn't change anything. Perhaps if I get to the Mid-west and DA is 2500 +, I'll go a bit leaner, but that's no different than any other 2-stroke motor.

• dwhitford
      dwhitford commented
      Editing a comment
      David, the necessary jetting changes on gas & oil are not as radical as on our alky engines because they pass only about half as much fuel.

• Howie Nichols
      Howie Nichols commented
      Editing a comment
      David we have run both of our A Sidewinders from FL to Maine, to Washington and every where in between. The timing and jetting stays the same regardless of where we go.

Amen!

Comment

The manufacturer has the authority to prevent the SORC from making any changes to the technical rules in regard to their motor. The motor was designed with very tight specifications and tolerances that will make it very difficult to improve the performance of the motor without being very obvious. The motor was designed by a long time APBA Stock Outboard inspector that has no intention or possible reason to allow a change in this product.

Comment

Broke in and tested our second SW20 motor two weeks ago! If anyone in region 10 wants to try one, please talk to Pat or I. We'll get ya a ride!
        Kyle Bahl
        20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Just curious, has "claiming rule" ever been considered for SO ? For instance, the winner's motor can be purchased for a trade of a competitor's motor plus $XXX.XX.
          David Weaver

Comment

• Racerkyle20
            Racerkyle20 commented
            Editing a comment
            They talked about that originally for the 300SSH class. It was never implemented though....

Absolutely the best ride in stock outboard racing right now BSH/BSR. In Ontario, BSH consists of the SW 20, 1/2 below the bottom at 400lbs. Guys literally, took the motor right out of the box, put the motor on the boat and ran 67.4 mph. No engine blueprinting, etc., put the prop on and go. Speeds are around 70+ mph now. As close to a spec class as we are going to see. People really need to weigh the cost added to blueprint a Y321 versus a SW 20. The price of the yamato engine is pretty close to a SW after all the blueprint work is done. Beautifully shaped foot really adds to the easy driving experience. You can concentrate on racing versus concentrating on keeping the dry side up. Nothing but good things to say about the SW engines. You also have the electric start option. Manufactured in the US, as close to going down to the local dealer and buying a new racing engine these days. Don't have to keep wondering when that Y321 is going to be delivered. Hopefully we see updates, engine options and other things in the pipeline on SW website soon.

Comment

Update:
            First race out with the SW15, we set a 1 2/3 record. Granted, it was a 95% record, set at 51.2 a full 1.5 mph off the existing record of 52.7 set by Amy Sweeney; but my *excuse*, it was very poor conditions (just kidding, Amy's record was super fast).

I will say again, it's just been really nice to buy an engine, strap it on a new Pavlick and be competitive with only two testing sessions. I ran the motor exactly with the jets that Ron and Ed put in, at the same timing and even used the spark plugs that were originally sent. Only thing that I did was restrict the water-flow slightly to increase the motor temp as we were racing of snow-melt-run-off, but that's the only adjustment I had to make.

Thanks Racing Outboards, I've been very pleased and hopefully can get back to the races soon.
            http://vitalire.com/

Comment

Love this thread .. Sidewinder approach to truly "Stock Outboard" racing is spot on.
              Untethered from reality!

Comment

Can someone post an update as to availability of new ASH engines?
                Untethered from reality!

Comment

At one time years ago,, weren't the Yamato racing engines truly stock? Just curious. No fighting dogs here.
                  ​I can briefly remember doing nothing to my 2 Y-80's. But then again 30 years ago. Probably why I was US-17.
                  Last edited by runabout333; 05-20-2017, 06:17 AM.

Comment

I guess the question is, is an engine that is built for racing to begin with really "stock"?
                    Dane Lance
                    700-P
                    CSH/500Mod

Comment

One explanation is that the word "Stock" means something different now than it did in the late 1940's when "Stock Outboard Racing" was started. Prior to then the APBA outboard racing was mainly OMC motors like PR, KR and they ran on methanol. Carl Kiekhaefer of Mercury went to APBA and started the "Stock" division. The power heads were exactly like the "fishing" version of the Motor. So except for the racing tower housing and gear case they were truly stock. The only one that was special for Stock racing was the converted 20-H. The Champion Hot Rod was a Special Motor as well, although very similar to their "fishing" counterpart.

Nowadays we need to utilize any Motor that can fit into our category. The Mercury, OMC, and Tohatsu fit into the above category of "Stock" power heads with racing towers or gear cases. The Yamato of course is used for "Stadium" racing in Japan.

So we need to use motors like the Sidewinder, even though it doesn't fit into the "original" definition of "Stock". They are manufacturing motors that fit into our category and you can buy a new one.

That is why "Stock" means something different now than it did way back when. 1950 is 67 years ago... that is along time ago.
                      Last edited by DeanFHobart; 05-20-2017, 01:53 PM.
                      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

And that all makes perfect sense. You have to source engines where you can and if it means we've moved away from truly stock, to what we have, then so be it. It is racing after all and if a "racing" engine fits in the class, great. I think the names "stock" and "modified" are just thresholds today. Stock isn't truly stock any more than a NASCAR "stock car" is stock, although arguably our stock class is much closer. Even modified has limited modifications allowed and is still based on the same engines. 500cc Mod, for example, runs Yamatos, which aren't anywhere near 500cc. I guess it might be more technically correct to call it 400cc Mod. And not to confuse mod with PRO (which does run true cc classes), someone might think 500cc mod would mean any engine up to a maximum of 500cc, or allow Yamatos to be bored to 500cc, but I get the intent and not looking to start any sort of argument over it.
                        Dane Lance
                        700-P
                        CSH/500Mod

Comment

Originally posted by Ram4x4 View Post
                          And that all makes perfect sense. You have to source engines where you can and if it means we've moved away from truly stock, to what we have, then so be it. It is racing after all and if a "racing" engine fits in the class, great. I think the names "stock" and "modified" are just thresholds today. Stock isn't truly stock any more than a NASCAR "stock car" is stock, although arguably our stock class is much closer. Even modified has limited modifications allowed and is still based on the same engines. 500cc Mod, for example, runs Yamatos, which aren't anywhere near 500cc. I guess it might be more technically correct to call it 400cc Mod. And not to confuse mod with PRO (which does run true cc classes), someone might think 500cc mod would mean any engine up to a maximum of 500cc, or allow Yamatos to be bored to 500cc, but I get the intent and not looking to start any sort of argument over it.
                          Expertly written and you are exactly correct. I had no intention to argue over this issue.
                          sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Working...
                          X