No announcement yet.

Average Cost of J-Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not saying the current size is right or wrong.

I can tell you that I feel the .500 is too small and not good for the sport. OMC's were getting beat but 1/2 a lap or more. Maybe the current size is to big, I don't know.

If others feel the way you do, then you should get together and do some detailed testing and share it with the committee. Or if it's just you, then you may have to test it by yourself. Just basing it off who won, who passed who, won't even be given a thought.

As an example. I'm sure you heard and if not, I'll tell you. Joe Pater wanted to test how drilling out the water passage performed. He loaded up his trailer, drove down to Florida for 1 day of testing then drove home. That data was shared with the SORC and witnessed by several others so it would not be questioned. He didn't have to do this. He did it for maybe 2 reasons. 1 to help out the SORC and sport, and maybe, and maybe in some eyes to know how it performs if we chose to go that route. I only bring that up because there will be some that will question Joe's motive and say it was to help himself. I know Joe has already tested this and the water pick up, so he didn't have to do this. But we didn't have good data on the drilling so Joe took it upon himself to do that. All I'm saying is, if you think something needs to be changed you need to provide some test data.
    "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

The 562 OMC plate has an allowed open area of .248 sq in. The current Mercury J plate is .249 sq in.

As witnessed in the A class, the OMC likes rpm's and can outrun a Merc with the same prop on the straightaway... The handout J prop doesn't have enough pitch to bog the motor which is why we tach our J motors religiously...rpm's rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Team 222R View Post
        I'd be willing to sell (2) converted Mercury fishing motors for 1000.00 bucks each. These are loosened up but not blueprinted but ready to race. All that's needed is the BTM kit (700) and the gearcase from sidewinder (1500).
        As long as the unsupported approval of the 562 OMC restrictor stands, your best bang for the buck is one of the many complete 30 year old OMC 15's for sale for 2000 (or less) complete with gearcase.
        In Region 10 the fastest motor last year hands down was a 15 bought from Gary Pond. The kid won several races and just rented it from our club (look it up). It's a shame the APBA has allowed this to happen as lots of parents have spent the 3k and then untold amounts blueprinting the "motor of choice" to get waxed by 30 year old borrowed equipment.
        The 2 Mercs I have look like new. I had big hopes of helping new kids with mercs for a great price but slickery took the wind out of my sails.

bill.dingman@gmail.com
        Mr. Digman, APBA did not allow any of this, the J class is controlled by the J committee and seeing how a majority of the members of the J committee own sidewinder motors it is just a matter of time until that will become the J motor and obsolete all other current engines currently being used and the cost will only go up. I guarantee you there is conversation going on behind the scenes on this issue, it may not come up this year in LA but trust me the issue is forth coming ----AS for the OMC issue the new restrictor plate size has allowed region 10 J class to continue to grow and get old OMC motors on boats and kid racing! That is a good thing as I see it! The real problem facing the J class is the J lower units not being available/produced so a new driver can order and get a unit within 30 days, and I hope the J committee leader and his team will address this issue in LA.
        Last edited by hshawwpba; 01-19-2017, 07:28 PM.

Comment

• Racerkyle20
          Racerkyle20 commented
          Editing a comment
          Pat Gleason Owns a SW? yes
          Andrew Tate Owns a SW? Not any more, runs inboard, unlimited, and CSH
          Billy Allen Owns a SW? No
          Chris Fairchild Owns a SW? No, OPC Driver
          Dan Kanfoush Owns a SW? No, No retired inboard driver
          Daniel Wilde Owns a SW? Yes
          Fred Hauenstein Owns a SW? No, runs MOD
          Jeff Williams Owns a SW? No, runs MOD
          Jerry Davids Owns a SW? No, runs MOD
          Jim Nilsen Owns a SW? No, runs PRO
          Jim Sweeney Owns a SW? No, family runs MOD and yamato Stock

2/11 own Sidewinders....

I guess I'm confused on what the definition of 'majority of the J committee own sidewinder motors' is....
          Last edited by Racerkyle20; 01-24-2017, 02:29 AM.

Bill: I suppose I am a little confused as to what you have your panties in a bunch over....yes, I understand that the Mercury is the motor of choice in J....the last OMC J motor was produced in the mid 90's I think. Somebody correct me if I am wrong. Are you upset because the OMC beats the. Mercury out here sometimes? Is that such a horrible thing? I do see that you are not happy with the Adams family's conclusions testing wise...if so, you should arrange your own test sessions, much like other racers have done. I agree with Don....basing complaints on who wins a heat at a race simply does not have any merit. For example, at Silver lake Everett DSH heat one, Gweedo beat both Darren and myself, both of whom run a Tohastsu D, fair and square. Gweedo was running a 44xs..he has done his homework and made the thing fast. Neither Darren or myself complained in the least...we both congratulated him on a job well done. Respectfully, Dave

Comment

I'm going to ask a stupid question (knowing that there is no such thing):
          How does one tell of these "fast" OMC Js with the .562 restrictor plate is really a 200MOD motor with a .562 restrictor plate?
          Please keep in mind that I'm am an northeasterner and don't really have any idea what a 200MOD motor is.
          I have an APBA OMC in the cellar and don't know if it's stock or MOD. It was purchased for the gearfoot.

Comment

A good 200m has been cut on and smoothed out on the inside. A stock OMC is a mess inside with all of the casting marks. From the outside you would not know unless they added additional water outlets. Have them bring it to a championship race and win, then you will know.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Don View Post
              I'm not saying the current size is right or wrong.

I can tell you that I feel the .500 is too small and not good for the sport. OMC's were getting beat but 1/2 a lap or more. Maybe the current size is to big, I don't know.

If others feel the way you do, then you should get together and do some detailed testing and share it with the committee. Or if it's just you, then you may have to test it by yourself. Just basing it off who won, who passed who, won't even be given a thought.

As an example. I'm sure you heard and if not, I'll tell you. Joe Pater wanted to test how drilling out the water passage performed. He loaded up his trailer, drove down to Florida for 1 day of testing then drove home. That data was shared with the SORC and witnessed by several others so it would not be questioned. He didn't have to do this. He did it for maybe 2 reasons. 1 to help out the SORC and sport, and maybe, and maybe in some eyes to know how it performs if we chose to go that route. I only bring that up because there will be some that will question Joe's motive and say it was to help himself. I know Joe has already tested this and the water pick up, so he didn't have to do this. But we didn't have good data on the drilling so Joe took it upon himself to do that. All I'm saying is, if you think something needs to be changed you need to provide some test data.
              You're 100% right Don. I will have identical boats this summer. My biggest frustration with this whole subject is that LESS data than my race results and opinions from guys that have both motors like me were used to make the change to start with. The 562 was approved with no gps or side by side testing. The decision was made by the J committee based on 3 drivers saying the new restrictor allowed them to be competitive with the Mercs. That Don is total crap. A change was made without good information now I need to provide that information to fix their shady deal.

I'm done. I have been asked by a few people to be the guy to "get my panties in a bunch" as they know I don't give a **** what people think about me. I call a spade a spade and the 562 is too big and shame on the J committee for not addressing it properly.

Have a great racing season...
              Bill Dingman "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Team 222R View Post

You're 100% right Don. I will have identical boats this summer. My biggest frustration with this whole subject is that LESS data than my race results and opinions from guys that have both motors like me were used to make the change to start with. The 562 was approved with no gps or side by side testing. The decision was made by the J committee based on 3 drivers saying the new restrictor allowed them to be competitive with the Mercs. That Don is total crap. A change was made without good information now I need to provide that information to fix their shady deal.

Have a great racing season...

Bill................glad to see your passion coming out. There is nothing more frustrating than decisions being made without overwhelming data substantiated by multiple sources and teams to support a position. My children have run both OMC's and Merc's in J Hydro and J Runabout. When this restrictor thread was brought up on Hydroracer last year it had the same arguements as made here now. Many feel' The Motor of Choice' should be respected and hence doing things to undermine that doesn't seem appropriate. Teams from all over the country should have been involved in the resrtictor plate testing, were they?? That being said i have to refer back to what Big Don stated in his earlier post regarding speeds. Calling it like it is i have to agree with him that most good J Merc's run well over 40 mph nowadays. Val's J Merc always ran 42-43 mph back in 2004-05 before you could plug em. So trying to establish parity with the OMC's is no doubt a slippery slope if that's the agenda?

Bring your issue to the attention of the J Committee and go to the National Meeting and make your voice heard. I imagine you don't have a issue in voicing a opinion...))

Comment

Originally posted by daveracerdsh View Post
                  Bill: I suppose I am a little confused as to what you have your panties in a bunch over....yes, I understand that the Mercury is the motor of choice in J....the last OMC J motor was produced in the mid 90's I think. Somebody correct me if I am wrong. Are you upset because the OMC beats the. Mercury out here sometimes? Is that such a horrible thing? I do see that you are not happy with the Adams family's conclusions testing wise...if so, you should arrange your own test sessions, much like other racers have done. I agree with Don....basing complaints on who wins a heat at a race simply does not have any merit. For example, at Silver lake Everett DSH heat one, Gweedo beat both Darren and myself, both of whom run a Tohastsu D, fair and square. Gweedo was running a 44xs..he has done his homework and made the thing fast. Neither Darren or myself complained in the least...we both congratulated him on a job well done. Respectfully, Dave
                  Dave,
                  I'm only acknowledging your stupid post because you are making this look like something personal between me and John. It is not personal. I totally disagree with how the change came about and the lack of solid data was used to allow the 562.
                  I don't want to hear about good driving and how Guido beat you. This isn't about good driving or the 44XS. It's about J motor parity.
                  Now that you know what this conversation has been about, go away before I make you cry.
                  Bill Dingman "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

This did not start out as a post for J motor parity.. Joe just asked a simple question. Most of the rest of ya'll got your kevlars on too tight.
                    ​Think about eliminating ----25XS, 44XS,Yamato 80, Yamato 102, OMC 15, Hot Rod 15 & 20, and all classic Mercs. Is this what you want?
                    ​It's really neat to be part of the "Legand" team(s), but there are still drivers that are happy to be US 8-12.. Don't run them off. I was one of those and was quite happy. Why,,,I didn't want to test that much or spend that much money. This is a GREAT sport and my family started in 1933.
                    ​Thank you for reading. Davey Viola,,,, NOT Barry.

​Happily retired in Ft. Myers.

Comment

Working...
                    X