Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I see a picture please?

Comment

My original KG7Q, in 1958, ran 29 mph first test run on a 10' A/B runabout similar to the one in the post above. $40 with hardware! By the end of the day, fine tuning trim and transom height, it was breaking 40 mph. With additional fiddling I finally got to touch 42 mph on a basic AquaMeter speedo. Some bottom straightening work helped, too. A quick time check across a half mile run verified it was pretty accurate...

Lots of good fun, ripping around the lake, but in reality, it wasn't fast enough to run with the best APBA AU's of the day. Then, it was old, obsolete boat, hardly state of the art, I had just one brass prop and even then, I'm sure I was way overweight. Yet, it was great fun and I was one of the fastest boats on our lake in a rig I paid less than $100 for... and I learned a lot about bottom shape, setup and rough water running, all of which helped in my later racing.

So get a good motor and start running. You'll be glad you did. 40 mph in one of these is way more exciting than 40 mph in some big heavy powerful boat.

Comment

My dad built my first boat and it was similar to yours in 1952; the plans came from Speed and Spray magazine, it was called Bee Yew because it was a Class B Utility, or class BU. Back then there were lots of plans in magazines for this style boat. And, each month there was a publication called How to Build 20 Boats that almost always included at least one racing boat. Regardless of who designed it or who built it you have a Classic. Congratulations and good luck on your restoration project.

Comment

Working...
        X