Helmets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmets

What should I look for in a new helmet? What brand or models are best for boat racing? Thank you.

Bell Full Face, Go with the best you can afford.
    Kegs

Comment

Arai and Simpson top my list, although I am currently wearing a Scorpion EXO-R410. It's budget priced, but meets SNELL requirements for our racing and is actually pretty dang nice.
      Dane Lance
      700-P
      CSH/500Mod

Comment

I have always liked the Shoei's. Just bought one for 2016 - Quest. Very happy with it. Looked at the RF1200 but it was way too much $$. Hope that helps
        Brian 10s

Comment

What NOT to get in a new helmet, a white interior! You'll get a reflection of the white interior on the inside of your face shield. Been there done that!
          Most helmets have a black interior, that's what you want.

Comment

I did a bunch of research buying a helmet this spring. When it comes to overall quality and safety its shoei, simpson, and bell at the top. I know a large majority of helmets from the other brands do not meet apbas snell requirements for 2017 so make sure you look into the rule and do your research when buying.

I went with the shoei rf1200 and love it. Lightweight and great fit. the few extra bucks were worth it

Comment

• hoosier
              hoosier commented
              Editing a comment
              I bought a Shoei rf1200 at the beginning of last season and love it also . Although its a bit pricy , the fit ,ventilation and light weight makes it well worth the price . Like the old Bell advertisement used to say , " If you have a hundred dollar head , buy a hundred dollar helmet " .

• LarryR
              LarryR commented
              Editing a comment
              Are the APBA 2017 rules newer than the "Snell 2010" requirement?
              Agree the Arai RF1200 is an excellent choice.

• Ram4x4
              Ram4x4 commented
              Editing a comment
              The only documentation on APBA's site for approved helmets is the one for the 2016 year:

(http://www.apba.org/resources/helmet...list-2016-7788)

According to that document:

"1. Unrestrained drivers: SNELL 2000, 2005, 2010, 2015 SA, M, K - SPECIALNOTE:SNELL 2000 until 01NOV2016"

Where, SA=Automotive Sports, M=motorcycle, K=karting.

That means SNELL 2005 and up is valid, at least for this year with SNELL 2000 valid until 1 Nov.

Further, the document shows SNELL 2005 no longer valid after 31 December, 2018 (that appears to be SNELL standards own limits, not APBA's, although it isn't clear).

Interestingly, APBA approves SNELL 2000 until 1 Nov, 2016, but the document shows SNELL's limit as 12/31/2014 while other racing sports say 1/1/2012.

Snell's 2016 standards are posted on their site for EA, E, and CM categories (EA= Elite Automotive Sports, E= Horseback Riding, and CM=Children's Motorsports), so apparently they've changed the category nomenclature as well.

I am only guessing, but if APBA updates approved helmets, the rules will state SNELL 2005 up to SNELL 2015 for categories SA, M, and K, and also SNELL 2016 standards for the appropriate categories will be included.

Thanks for the info on what you like and dislike .

Comment

Under the current APBA rules, buy a Snell 2015, look inside for the Snell 2015 sticker with serial # then the best helmet that fits tight that you can afford.

Jeff
              5-P

Comment

Working...
              X