What is being used for Starting Line Videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is being used for Starting Line Videos

I know this has been discussed, but what are folks using to Video tape the starts now? Region 5 is looking to get a better setup and wants your input.

I have seen all kinds of combinations and would like input on what works and what does not.

We currently have an Android Tablet (about 10" screen) and just using the Video Record and Playback does not seem to give the officials frame by frame footage or the ability to zoom in without losing clarity.

I know the I-pad has an app that helps with this is there anything for Androids?

What about older school ---- Video Camera, DVD/VHS, that connects to a larger screen tv?

Thanks
    444-B now 4-F
    Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Howie,
    SOA uses an I-pad and it works excellent. 30 frames per second and clear! Ron Magnuson will have more details on how we have ours set up.

Comment

Howie, what ever system they had at Jesup Georgia this last race was a super nice set up. I know you have the contact information on them.

Comment

That was the IOA system. It is a Sony video camera playing to a DVD recorder. At our races we have that camera on the line and a second one shooting the face of the clock. That way the "call" is based on the same clock face that we see as the drivers. There is no secondary light or signaling device for zero. I have checked the synchronization of the two cameras at work and it winds up virtually dead on.

Steve Roskowski

Comment

iPad - no brainier, does not get any easier or more accurate. The new ones shoot HD at 60FPS - VCR were only 24FPS - and there are a dozen aps that record small amounts of video with edit and picture taking ability - think coaching and videoing your kids golf swing and then slowing it down for analysis - the tech on the tablets will just continue to improve because of that use case. I am sure android has to have something similar.

Comment

GoPro Hero 5 Sessions is worth a look. 4K Video at 30FPS. Compact, Waterproof (no case), with Video Stabilization. Voice Activated with Bluetooth and WiFi. Whats nice is you set it and don't touch it. Play back on your phone with an app. Retails for 299.99.

Comment

I also think that with the technology it's time to get rid of the rule that the camera is "only an aide". At least it should be changed for only and aide for starts with no gun jumpers.

Comment

• Matt Dagostino
                Matt Dagostino commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a good idea! The modern electronic recording device (camera) is more accurate than the human eye. It should be the camera that has the final say!

Big thing to remember is regardless of resolution/zoom and all the fun stuff to pick out a boat number/driver...
              30 frames per sec is not enough. An ASH is traveling almost 3 ft per frame, and a DSH is traveling about 4 ft per frame.
              I'm still a fan of the old Still Camera - Loved having those shots where i'm aired out and in the lead by 2 boat length figured i nailed that start only to come in and have a beautiful picture of the 2" i jumped by!
              Video needs to have a high frame rate, even 120 which is common gives you a 1.5 foot margin of error per frame...
              This get compounded by the instant on LED lights we use...Incandescent bulbs used to turn on over two or three frames...gave you an educated guess of where the boat would have been at first glow.
              ----
              Graham18ce
              Team Canada ThunderCat
              Facebook - www.facebook.com\fralickracing
              Twitter @FralickRacing
              Instagram @FralickRacing

Comment

• csh12M
                csh12M commented
                Editing a comment
                Kinda, except that the trigger for the Polaroid was a mechanical connection between the a trigger on the actual clock hand. With the MHRA clock that trigger was a thin piece of metal that could be bent ahead or behind to try and replicate the drag encountered when it hit. Not to mention most were using a 1RPM motor. The combination of the digital clock with a new iPad at a min. frame rate of 60FPS is WAY more accurate then we were in the past. There are aps. out there that cal also take the 60 to 120 or 240. I do agree that one frame is about a foot, but that is much more accurate and consistent than we were in the past. Its just with a single picture you could not measure how inaccurate the system really was.

Use a current I pad order the after market holder and camera lense to get better close up it is easy to use and easy to rewind to review plus you can save the starts into a file for later review if needed. The review of the start is crystal clear and stop frame pictures are very clear. simply hook a light that goes out or on at 0 and have it in the picture lower corner.

Comment

• Lee Sutter
                Lee Sutter commented
                Editing a comment
                That really works well.

Thanks for all the input.

Is everyone using a special app with the iPad or the normal camera that it comes with?
              444-B now 4-F
              Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

• csh12M
                csh12M commented
                Editing a comment
                There are 50 different aps you could choose from - most are geared for coaching and capturing a small burst of video for analysis. MHRA is usually using the Slomo app., but I think there are even better ones out there. This is just the one we have become comfortable with.
            Working...
            X