Outboard Motor Test Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outboard Motor Test Tank

Just wondering what people are using for a test tank for their racing engines? I had one but unfortunately it wound up in the scrap bin as a result of not storing it at my location. Now I have to fabricate another one, not happy about it, but such is life. Was thinking someone may have better ideas than me. Pictures would be most helpful. Can email me at dw.andrews1@yahoo.com if that is easier. Thanks.

I take one of those blue plastic 55 gallon barrels and cut 1/2 of the top out with a jig-saw. Then I put a 2x6 board on the outside and bolt thru the barrel. As you tighten the bolts, the 2x6 will flatten out the rim of the barrel making a flat spot for the engine clamps.

Would post a picture, but keep getting "Invalid File Data" message... This site needs a "tune up"..?

Comment

• dwhitford
      dwhitford commented
      Editing a comment
      I did something similar with a steel drum in the 1950s to run my 1937 3.5-horse Evinrude Fisherman. My dad used that same drum for burning trash in the backyard.

The drum normally sat upturned on the burn pile when not in use. One day, stepmom Frannie told me, ''Big Bob'' is fixin' to burn trash this weekend, so you best tip up that barrel and git it ready.''

When I upended the barrel, I discovered inside the biggest black widow spider I'd ever seen. Most of you are too young to remember the size of a half-dollar coin, but this black-widow's leg spread was bigger than that.

I went back into the kitchen and got Big Bob's Ronsonol lighter fluid and liberally hosed down the spider. When I assumed it was dead, I plucked it outta the barrel and wrapped in Saran Wrap, which was pretty new then.

My next-door neighbor, Martha (a ''babe'' 2 years younger than I) was then taking biology in Ms Overby's biology class. Ms Overby always ran a ''bug wall'' in her classroom each spring: collect bugs & spiders, look up the biologic phylum and such identification, write it on an index card, and pin it with your specimen onto the corkboard at the side of the classroom.

Martha got an ''A'' for her presentation on the bug wall because the spider revived and writhed inside the Saran Wrap for almost a week.

I took Martha to the prom later. Nothing evolved. End of Story. Good memory. She got her AA at Averitt in Danville & moved on, as did I into PRO racing.
      Last edited by dwhitford; 08-27-2016, 05:46 PM.
Working...
X