What's going on in the garages for 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gsb-503 View Post
    In my garage, Triangle Racing Team has added the decking to the trailer, and installed the carpeting. Motor box will be built this weekend. POW!
    Nice work, a neat solution for the deck, are they 2 x 6 tongue and groove pressure treated boards? Is the black outdoor carpet the one with the rubber back?
    "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
    No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

• gsb-503
      gsb-503 commented
      Editing a comment
      The deck boards are T&G 2x6, regular Doug Fir. I cut each board, then primed/painted all edges. I hate PT lumber. The original plan was to get nice wood, Mahogany stain w/ white inlays, to match a original wooden boat, maybe next time. The carpet is of course outdoor, rubber backed.

Agree, interesting choice for decking. I'd also like to see more detail of the back end and construction of the inset area for the box.

Right now I'm planning on using that 23/32" pressure treated ply from Homedepot for my decking. Sealed and painted (no carpet on the decking). Since I only have one boat, it'll ride on the rails above the deck and then I will use the deck to put other weekend needs (cooler, pop-up, dolly, etc). Box will just be engine, tools and that sort of stuff.

​Of course, all this work depends on whether it ever stops snowing in western PA and we ever see temps above 28 degrees again. I have a lot to do on my trailer: trailer frame needs a couple cross members welded on, a couple areas need some weld beads, then it needs blasted, primed and painted, new decking, sealed and painted, new rails, rails covered in carpet, box needs rear door latch/handle fixed or replaced, a few holes sealed up, sanded, primed and painted, a couple marker lights replaced, and it needs new wheels and tires. Then it has to get through PA's draconian laws for getting it registered and plated in PA. I'm starting to feel I'm not going to get it all done by race time in Franklin.
    Last edited by Ram4x4; 04-08-2016, 12:50 PM.
    Dane Lance
    700-P
    CSH/500Mod

Comment

Originally posted by Ram4x4 View Post
      Agree, interesting choice for decking. I'd also like to see more detail of the back end and construction of the inset area for the box.

Right now I'm planning on using that 23/32" pressure treated ply from Homedepot for my decking. Sealed and painted (no carpet on the decking). Since I only have one boat, it'll ride on the rails above the deck and then I will use the deck to put other weekend needs (cooler, pop-up, dolly, etc). Box will just be engine, tools and that sort of stuff.

​Of course, all this work depends on whether it ever stops snowing in western PA and we ever see temps above 28 degrees again. I have a lot to do on my trailer: trailer frame needs a couple cross members welded on, a couple areas need some weld beads, then it needs blasted, primed and painted, new decking, sealed and painted, new rails, rails covered in carpet, box needs rear door latch/handle fixed or replaced, a few holes sealed up, sanded, primed and painted, a couple marker lights replaced, and it needs new wheels and tires. Then it has to get through PA's draconian laws for getting it registered and plated in PA. I'm starting to feel I'm not going to get it all done by race time in Franklin.
      I assume you mean regular Fir ply, that is a good choice for decking but be aware that Fir ply will grain check even with sealing and painting. I have used Fir ply before and used Fiberglass 6oz and polyester resin to seal it then color. Not sure what sealer you plan to use but If you don't want to FG do 2 coats polyester resin on the plywood (top and bottom and edges) then paint a color, grain check still will happen but much less than with no poly resin.

Suggest A/B grade ply or 2nd choice A/C and keep the football patches down. For any filler for holes etc. I use polyester resin mixed with fine pressure treated saw dust, when cured sand level. Great for DIY wood repairs around the house.

make sure pressure treated ply is thoroughly dry before any sealer and finish coats
      No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Yeah, I'm aware of the checking issue. I've been kicking around ideas for coatings or coating plus a top layer of something. I don't want to do carpet. I've considered a layer of 1/8" skirtboard rubber (synthetic SBR stuff). Cost is not much more than marine carpet.
        Dane Lance
        700-P
        CSH/500Mod

Comment

Yeah, I'm aware of the checking issue. I've been kicking around ideas for coatings or coating plus a top layer of something. I don't want to do carpet. I've considered a layer of 1/8" skirtboard rubber (synthetic SBR stuff). Cost is not much more than marine carpet.
          You said no carpet but I have used this carpet on boat trailer bunks, boat decks, etc in lieu of marine carpet and it is much better, has a rubber back that prevents fraying and costs less than marine carpet. At Home Depot for $4.50 per linear foot in 6 ft wide runs:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Beaulieu-...0-MB/100656078

Have you considered MDO (medium density overlay) or the more expensive HDO (high density overlay) plywood? These have overlays on fir ply and are used in exterior highway signs, reused concrete forms, etc and are very resistant and durable to sever weather. More expensive that exterior fir ply but can be easily painted right away and they do not grain check. I used exterior Fir plywood for my trailer mod but next time I will consider the MDO since it will not check like standard exterior Fir ply (unless you fiberglass it). MDO and HDO can be hard to find.

Details:
          http://murphyplywood.com/pdfs/softwo...uct_Guides.pdf

Comment

The MDO/HDO, isn't that just a thin layer of MDF on the plywood? Doesn't it absorb water, swell and start flaking if it gets wet?

How abrasive is the pile on that rubber backed carpet? Does the rubber back prevent water from soaking through? My biggest aversion to carpet is it acting like a sponge and holding water when it gets wet which in turn keeps the wood underneath wet.
            Dane Lance
            700-P
            CSH/500Mod

Comment

• bh/
              bh/ commented
              Editing a comment
              I saw a construction trailer fir ply deck done in pick up box spray on liner.
              Skid resistant, durable, sun proof , expensive ?????
              Holy-stoned Burma teak left natural is nice too.....

The MDO/HDO, isn't that just a thin layer of MDF on the plywood? Doesn't it absorb water, swell and start flaking if it gets wet?

How abrasive is the pile on that rubber backed carpet? Does the rubber back prevent water from soaking through? My biggest aversion to carpet is it acting like a sponge and holding water when it gets wet which in turn keeps the wood underneath wet.
            Did you look into the link I attached on MDO/HDO it is not the same as MDF. They use MDH on highway signs and construction forms for concrete and the forms are reusable many times and the Overlay does not absorb water and swell.

The rubber backing is tuff, abrasive? It is installed rubber down. Like I said I use it on my trailer bunks and decks of boats. The pile is very short and dense water does not go thru the carpet. based on my use it is better tna the marine carpet that has a woven back and shreds easily.

Comment

Yeah BH, I considered that truck bed stuff too, but any of the brands that are UV resistant are expensive ($100+ per gallon). Even those don't stand up to UV for that long (according to reviews, anyway), or require semi-frequent coating with a UV resistant top coat, which is expensive too.

Another option is to use Trex planking, but holy crap that stuff is expensive, and it's not nearly as rigid as plywood.

I'm going to have a look at that rubber backed carpet. Probably easier to put that over the pressure treated ply and be done with it.
              Dane Lance
              700-P
              CSH/500Mod

Comment

• ZUL8TR
                ZUL8TR commented
                Editing a comment
                I have only found that rubber backed carpet at Home Depot here in Orlando. You do not have to glue it down, just stretch and secure at the edges with stainless 1/2" leg staples and a finish cap strip to look pro. Place drain holes in the deck at locations where water will get trapped like where the motor box butts the ply deck, etc.

• runabout333
                runabout333 commented
                Editing a comment
                None of the brands of composite decking,, including TREX have any structural integrity.. They need to be braced underneath at 12" on center. Composite decking is made up of wood flour and milk jug like material and made using an extruder.. The company that I just retired from has made the extruders for TREX and other brands.

This is what we did
              Keith Kampen

Comment

• ZUL8TR
                ZUL8TR commented
                Editing a comment
                What did you use?

• gsb-503
                gsb-503 commented
                Editing a comment
                What's the red shinny stuff?

• kampenracing
                kampenracing commented
                Editing a comment
                We used some 1/4 plywood and covered with red sheet metal. It turned out very nice.

ZUL8TER, I read up on the HDO and MDO. Interesting stuff. Menards carries MDO...$65 for a 4x8 sheet of 3/4".
              Dane Lance
              700-P
              CSH/500Mod

Comment

• ZUL8TR
                ZUL8TR commented
                Editing a comment
                It is expensive but very tuff stuff.

Day 7 of the C Mod Boat... 4.jpg
              5.jpg

Comment

C Mod ready to go.......... IMG_2468.jpg

Comment

In my garage, Triangle Racing Team continues the trailer build. Just need to figure out how to hang 3 or 4 motors..... I'm thinking horiz 2x10 with lots of braces.
                  From "Greg S. Brown" aka GSB-503

Comment

Comment

• jordie1792
                      jordie1792 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Any help would be greatly appreciated

What kind of help are you looking for

Comment

Working...
                    X