Need promotion help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need promotion help

I need some advice on promotions. When an Unlimited hydro team...or a Nascar team etc presents a proposal to a prospective sponsor....they have a formula for how many "hits" , or impressions, the team will generate over the course of a racing season. I know there is a formula for this....where would I find it? Any information you all might have would be appreciated. Thank you.

Note sure I follow or understand the type of information you are looking for. The two terms you used "hits" or "impressions" are terms used when calculating web site traffic or Web Analytics. Sponsors don't really care how much traffic a web site will generate. Could you explain a bit more what your objective is? or what exactly it is your looking for.

Thanks

Dan
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

I don't know how they figure it out but sponsors know how many times their logo or image is looked at during a particular event. Mainly NASCAR, Formula 1 or NHRA. The amount of sponsorship leveraged can be determined by this figure.
      kk

Comment

Dave go back to the 60es all clases 8 to10 in the water and i mean 10 averge every race A B C D F HYDRO & Runabout & hydro today D class hydros
        your lucky to put 4 on the water~ECT~~ECT drop a few classes there are 5 or 6 ctype classes( how about 10 d mods yea they will draw a croud) a class of 4 d stock is a joke~~
        ~~~~~~~just an old racer WHO ran DU DS DRR FRR~~~~~~~~ YOU BUILD A CLASS OF NO LESS THAN 6OR7 THEY WILL COME~~~~~~~~~TRU CRAGIN R100

Comment

when a race trailer is towed to an event with a sponsors name plastered all over the boat and trailer...I would assume those would be called impressions. People driving down the highway looking at trailer and boat. At this point I am not looking for TV stuff or internet...just real time visual stuff. Dave

Comment

• mdaspit
            mdaspit commented
            Editing a comment
            Advertisers use metrics to try to track how their advertising effort is being delivered.
            Traditional media is usually measured by Reach & Frequency measurements... who, and how many are being reached with the message (Reach) and how many times they are exposed to it. (Frequency). Think of a print ad in a magazine... You estimate how many people have the opportunity to see your ad, by knowing the publication's circulation numbers... Plus you estimate how many people see your ad casually...they may not buy it, and aren't included in the circulation numbers, but may flip thru the mag in a doctors office, waiting rooms, offices, a friends house, etc. Hits, click thru numbers are an online ad measurement. But since you put Hits in quote marks I assume you probably mean basic Exposure to the messaging, logo, or whatever.

For a racing sponsorship you would need to look at Exposure much like the measurement of an Outdoor Board, or Billboard as some people call them, there are no circulation numbers, but Traffic Count is estimated by the Outdoor media provider. Since a truck traveling down a highway at a given time of day can be seen by traffic, every car assuming at least 2 people per car could be estimated to be an Exposure x 2... An outdoor media company could help you gather the traffic numbers, or the State Department of Transportation. Then of course there would be the obvious...people at the event. Remember, each time an exposure is possible, (like walking by a sponsors banner) it counts. So several exposures even to the same people counts as multiple exposures. Anything with the sponsor message on it that's given out and taken home gets seen by multiple people who didn't even attend the event, so it's kind of impossible to be accurate with the numbers until you really understand how the messaging is being consumed.

A lot of guessing, a lot of estimating. I don't think you're going to find a simple formula, but if I were trying to figure it out, I would visit with an outdoor media company and try to glean their numbers in the area of the venue, and of course the organizers of the event itself.

The more evidence you have, the more you can make an argument of Quality Exposures versus a big ass guess.

At the end of day it's going to be a big number of exposures but any sponsor worth his salt will be skeptical. The hard question to answer is... How does that number translate to direct benefit to the sponsor.

A more persuasive pitch might be to show the sponsor how you can extend his reach by multiplying his exposure thru social media. Ownership of the event thru Twitter, Youtube, Instagram, etc. etc. don't just stick his logo on a key chain.

Go big and integrate a persuasive brand message in everything you do.
            Last edited by mdaspit; 11-23-2015, 05:52 PM.

Sorry Dave its 2015 no one is looking out of the car window on roads trips except for the driver. .. and the old rolling highway billboard theory is all but dead considering the fact that the driver of the car is the only one with his or her head up and looking straight ahead at the road. Everyone else in the car is on a smartphone or tablet with there heads down buried deep in Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.

Social media is reinventing how business is done

Facebook is now serving 8 billion videos views a day!

http://marketingland.com/facebook-is...s-a-day-150550
          HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

• blueskyracer
            blueskyracer commented
            Editing a comment
            You are so right Dan, Our grandson once he gets in the motorhome or car is on the phone playing games and the wife is texting so I am the only one looking down the road

• Big Don
            Big Don commented
            Editing a comment
            Dan, half the drivers are not paying attention either. They have their faces buried in their phones.

I think I get the idea......thanx for the help folks

Comment

• GrandpaRacer
            GrandpaRacer commented
            Editing a comment
            Funny Dave, if you used your sponsor as your avatar you would have over 300 hits already!
            John

• Smitty
            Smitty commented
            Editing a comment
            Dave, don't let them talk you out of trying to land a good sponsor. Everybody would like to defray some of the racing expenses; maybe you can provide an example for others. What these guys have said is not wrong, but not the whole story. For instance, people who work in the motorsports marketing business will tell you that a lot more is involved than just cold calculation of payback in sales. Long ago I clipped a good article about this subject from an issue of Hot Rod in which they interviewed the head of marketing for an oil company; possibly I can still find it and pass it along.

Maybe here is a place to start:

https://www.ssapubl.com/productList....ty=Sponsorship

If you get one or both of these books, and they prove useful, let us know. I bet all the post-ers who poured cold water on your idea will be highly interested.
            Last edited by Smitty; 11-26-2015, 10:27 AM.

• mdaspit
            mdaspit commented
            Editing a comment
            Look Dave, I wasn't throwing cold water on your idea...you were asking for traffic numbers, and 2 of the best places to get them are 1. Outdoor Media Companies 2. The State Department of Highways. They keep track of those numbers by day and time of day, drive time etc.

If McDonalds wants to put a burger joint on the Interstate, they want to know with a high degree of accuracy how much traffic goes by that location, by day, night, hour by hour.

Your situation is a little different, because you will also be displaying your sponsors ID at the event, and because of that, you have the opportunity to give your sponsor additional Reach by using today's social media.

If you want your sponsorship to last more than one summer, the more you give him for what he gives you, the more likely he may see some benefit to paying you to go race your boat.

No cold water here.
        Working...
        X