old vintage lower unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old vintage lower unit

smaller.jpg This old boys Uncle used to race and brought this down for my collection, question what is it for? An old OMC?

Originally posted by noodles View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n433991[/ATTACH] This old boys Uncle used to race and brought this down for my collection, question what is it for? An old OMC?
    it looks like a unit for a Speeditwin C-Service motor or a PR .

Comment

• Al Lang
      Al Lang commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like an old Johnson L/U with the water pick up. Mabe a SR or PR?

Modified pre 1933 SR/PR/VR Johnson Lower unit

This is a basically stock PR-55
    Image24.jpgImage25.jpg

Comment

• bh/
      bh/ commented
      Editing a comment
      Don's PR does not have it, but note the 3/8" hole crossed drilled thru the housing above the cav plate .
      This was commonly done to these motors to attach a safety cable, in order to retain the l/u and prop in the event the l/u came off. I guess it was before Loctite and happened often ? I acquired a few of these motors from an estate sale and all had the l/u's drilled . Some had cables attached, but separate from the motor, and all had the props still on,
      double lock nutted. It was thought easier to take the l/u off and leave the prop on the shaft .
      What I am seeing of Yamatos these days, it may be a practice to re-consider ?
      Probably not legal though, AOF only
      Last edited by bh/; 06-01-2015, 07:30 AM.

That looks like the 2 PR lower units I had and gave to Bruce Summers for his collection.

Comment

Thanks fellas, neat old piece

Comment

Working...
      X