Question for boat builders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for boat builders

I'm in the middle of building frames for Hal Kelly's Madcap. The prints call for lapped joints on the transom. I don't have a very good way to make quality lap joints at the moment, especially not at the odd angles that would be required. My question is, would a transom frame with gusset plated butt joints be any worse strengthwise?Thanks

Originally posted by lftmx3 View Post
    I'm in the middle of building frames for Hal Kelly's Madcap. The prints call for lapped joints on the transom. I don't have a very good way to make quality lap joints at the moment, especially not at the odd angles that would be required. My question is, would a transom frame with gusset plated butt joints be any worse strengthwise?Thanks
    No. Just butt the various frame members. Gussets on the inside, and the outer plywood on the back side (transom's outside) when all epoxied together provide plenty enough strength. Remember that when Hal drew those plans, he had little or no epoxy gluing experience, just the old Weldwood and (maybe) Resourcinol glue technology.

Comment

Hi,
      Are you working from full size plans?
      Thank you

Comment

ALL of Hal Kelly's Boat(s) plans are available free of charge in PDF form here...

* scroll down on this link --- http://boatsport.org/kelly.html

Comment

Please send us build pictures and of course pictures of the completed project. What motor are you going to run?

The Madcap is the C/D version of the Foo Ling.... correct?
          Last edited by DeanFHobart; 09-11-2018, 06:57 AM.
          sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

The Gougeon Brothers ie. The West System, has a quality plywood scarfing tool that attaches to a skill saw. They also have a great Tech. Dept. that will answer your questions. Just Google them up.
            sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Originally posted by DeanFHobart View Post

Please send us build pictures and of course pictures of the completed project. What motor are you going to run?

The Madcap is the C/D version of the Foo Ling.... correct?
              Correct:

This from the boatsport link above, not yelling the copy and paste font comes out big

]Around the time that FOO-LING appeared Kelly Also introduced a boat named MAD-CAP which essentially is a C/D Class version of FOO-LING
              "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
              No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

I use butt frames cut edge on correct angle to the bottom. I then use a Freud Biscuit cutter at the matching butts and put in a good size biscuit wafer to hold every thing in line. Then use thickened West epoxy to glue it all together to the transom Okume ply, Then used a good size gusset glued and screwed at the corners. Then clamp it to the ply correctly aligned an put in Silicon bronze screws. When dry. trim to proper angle and glue on outside trim pc on transom to cover notches for stringers and keel. Remember, This is the most important part of the boat as it transmits all the power of the engine to the boat. If this starts twisting or loosening up, not only dangerous but your bottom as well as the boat's goes out of alignment and well not trim properly especially on a flat bottom!
                Jon Walters

Comment

Working...
                X