Oroville Kilo / Quarter Milke Straightaway Results Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oroville Kilo / Quarter Milke Straightaway Results Please

Any results from the weekends Kilo / Quarter Mile runs??

Thanks............................................ ..................
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

After being blown out on sat. we got the first boat on the water at 8;14am sun. That first boat was Bob Wartinger osy 400 uim new record. That was only the first of what would be some 12 records set. These are my results from memory and not official so will not include speeds but here goes, Joe Johnson driving for Rich Fushlin 350ccr, Jim Neilson CservR and CRH, Dean Wilson CMR, John Peeters CSR and osy 400 apba. John Maroney BMH and 125cch. That's all my brain can come up with now. I'm think they will be up on the APBA site soon. I for one had a great time seeing old friends and making new ones. Great food and stories sat. night. All drivers did a great job to allow our rescue and ambulance team's to remain spectators. EBBC and R-11 thank you for coming and hope you all have a fast and safe year.

Comment

The Peeters Records are as follows:
      CSR Kilo 70.014mph- That record was 25 years old!
      OSY-400 1/4- 78+mph- Are you kidding me?! 78 in a yamato with no pipe?!

Joe Johnson went 93+ in the 350ccr class on the 1/4 course.

John Maroney went 78+ in the 125cch class on the 1/4 course.
      Kyle Bahl
      20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

What engine did Joe Johnson use?

Comment

• Joe J
          Joe J commented
          Editing a comment
          Bob, I drove Rich Fuchslin's boat.

• Bob Rusnak
          Bob Rusnak commented
          Editing a comment
          Good job Joe, pretty impressive run. Sean always said this 500 Yamato could set another record. They keep winding up higher as the run goes on. I know he wanted to make a run as the only boat he has left is the kilo boat. I may be a while IF and when he returns.

It was a 4 cyl Yamato and it sounded sweet!
        Maroney Racing

Comment

• bill boyes
          bill boyes commented
          Editing a comment
          How about the CSR record???
          Oroville has the fastest and most records anywhere.

Congrats everyone on the hard work and being safe. I still cant wrap my mind around Jonny going 78 in his osy... congrats again!

Comment

APBA OSY 400 1/4 Mile = 78.329
          Previous Record 75.187 in 2014 by Bob Wartinger

The end of the day Sunday, second to last run, everyone was already packing up. The Jimi O built 302 had not run all day long, stalling out, not finding the rpm and all-around slow. Earlier in the day, in great air and water, I ran a 74+ run - it just wasn't fast. After several lack-luster attempts, I ended up switching towers/tuners as a last ditch effort to see what might be wrong. Finally, the boat got on plane like it was supposed to, with just that little extra oomf that was previously lacking, I knew I had something.

The course is about a mile away from the launch ramp, so I ran out to the lead-in at full speed to see what this cow could muster up. I saw 76.1 on the GPS and then I knew I had something special on my hands. The previous record was 75.2 or so, and seeing 76 on a run at the previous straightaway event, I had the expectations to at least post a 75.5. Typically, I bring the boat off of plane and send water through the motor and bring the temp way down, yet because of my stalling issues earlier in the day and the density altitude at over 3500 feet, I wasn't brave enough to bring it down and decided to just push water through the motor by pumping the throttle. That method typically works great in race conditions, and brings the motor down to about 330 degrees, but that isn't low enough for a straightaway attempt - keep in mind, because the Yamatos don't have an impeller, pumping through the traps just doesn't happen, so getting the motor cool through before the trap is essential.

I started my run in and knew the motor temp was going to be an issue. I passed the line-up buoy with a full-head of steam (literally), already going about 75mph, but then my 'red light district' light came on - 385 degrees on the top cylinder had already been reached... At this point, I don't care about the speed, and my eyes are fixed on the course and the temp gauge, now not-slowly rising. I entered the traps at already 405 degrees - 15 more, and it's time to shut it down. I knew I had the speed, but did I want to push it and possibly destroy the motor? I went with the proverbial, 'let her fly or die' and told myself not to look at the temp gauge, now reading 435. Normally at the end of the day, long perpendicular wave are present in the traps, just from boats making runs. They really hurt your kidneys as the back end of the boat smacks the 4-5 waves that are present and it does slow you down. However, none were out there this run.

I look at the GPS: 77mph. Oh my. 77.5 Oh my. I look at my temp gauge: 450. Oh dear. GPS 78. Ohhhh my. The exit to the trap was coming up, I look at my GPS and it finally reads 78.9; and the Temp gauge reads 470; I made it! Now I had to cool down the engine so I could make the run back.

As many of you already know, at the end of a straightaway run, you can't just let off the throttle - the boat will simply blow straight over - so you have to bring the speed down slowly. I scrubbed 10 mph, bringing the boat speed down to 70 and then I could pump the throttle and get water through it. Temp was up to 490 and generally speaking, pump the throttle a few times, the temp drops fast, especially at the high temps. I try pumping the throttle a few times and nope, no change in the temp. I'm not quite clear of the line up buoys for the re-turn trip and the last thing you want to do is bring your boat off plane and screw up your return trip. I keep pumping the throttle and no change. I had to bring the boat off plane in the exact location I knew I couldn't. I've never had a a motor not pump with the throttle pumping method, and flirting with 500 degrees, I brought the boat down. It took almost a full 30 seconds to get water going through the motor and the temp dropping. Even though I didn't stick the motor, I figured I had blown the head, exhaust and powerhead gaskets, making the return trip virtually impossible.

Off plane, motor temp went well below the 300 degrees I'm looking for. I get into position and get on the throttle a little earlier than I normally like, figuring I needed to make up for the wakes I was about to hit. I hit the wakes, the boat dives slightly to the right, loosing speed, but in pretty good position. I stay on the throttle with my eyes on the temp gauge, passing 300 degrees and rising again. I'm up to 77mph again and enter the traps at about 78. I can't bare to look at the temp. I finally do. 330 degrees. I look again. Still 330 degrees...hmmmm... I finish up the run exiting at 78.7mph. I knew I had the record and on the return trip, temp never went over 335 degrees. I get back to the beach, no red flag indicating a record yet, but I've never been more confident in my life that I set a record. I get onto the dock, pull the boat up to the scales. No word yet. I get the boat on the scales and weigh in about 12 over. Still no word. People are asking me, did you really set a record? I smiled and said yes. I got off the scales and the word from the barge is that I set a record, but final numbers weren't ready. I like to think that recalculated a few times! Only later was I told the official average times of 78.329, with either direction average speed within a tenth of each other.

Those two runs have been the only time that I've dropped RPMs as I went along and went faster.

CSR Kilo - 70.014
          Previous Record 69.787 in 1991 by Dave Froehlich

No story about this run, but it was set with another Jimi O built 302 with a 101lbs of lead in the boat.... The boat was built by Jerry Davids, originally for Greg Lyons. Need a driver for Wakefield - CSR drivers, please send me your resume! Fun/Sad/Amazing fact, it took 25 years for the Froehlich's to be removed from the CSR record book - hats off to those guys.
          Last edited by guedo499; 03-31-2015, 05:31 PM.
          http://vitalire.com/

Comment

• David Weaver
            David Weaver commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for sharing this John and congratulations!

Well one thing for sure, If you ever get tired of racing boats you could always write stories. I was just wonding if the tower was the same kind. I know they make a few differnt kinds. Or do you think it was a bad gasket or something?

Comment

Just curious... Why was there such a major temperature difference from run #1 and run #2??
            Anyway, you tell a very good story... I could easily see you in the boat. You have lived the dream!!!

Comment

Congratulations John - quite an accomplishment.

Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by tim king View Post
                Or do you think it was a bad gasket or something?
                Yes - Or something.

I don't have a clue with the temp differences. One thing is for sure, on tear-down, the gaskets were most definitely wasted and quite a bit of warping has occurred - good thing for good oil!

The tuner also looks fine. I've broken one before in a 302, and the performance drop was dramatic, where this time it was just a slight drop. Off to test and find possible issues before traveling to the Winter Nats.

Here's a link to all of the records:
                https://social.apba-racing.com/discu...ficial-records

I may have gone fast in APBA OSY, but Bob went smokin fast in UIM OSY (fat head, fat foot). We've tried our hand at that class and can't get out of our own way. Bob dramatically surpassed his old record set with a 102 but lost a blade on the 'fast one'.
                http://www.uimpowerboating.com/records/ and look under OSY 4000

Comment

[QUOTE=guedo499;n431986]APBA OSY 400 1/4 Mile = 78.329
                  Previous Record 75.187 in 2014 by Bob Wartinger

That was an interesting story and quite an accomplishment to remember.
                  Not knowing anything about the speed run rules do you have to comply with them for the class run in circuit racing?
                  If you don't mind disclosing how high was that engine set, rpms and prop pitch to get that great speed from a stock Yamato?

"Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
                  No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Originally posted by ZUL8TR View Post
                    Not knowing anything about the speed run rules do you have to comply with them for the class run in circuit racing?
                    If you don't mind disclosing how high was that engine set, rpms and prop pitch to get that great speed from a stock Yamato?
                    Yes, for the most-part, the straightaway rules are exactly the same as circle racing. However, in respect to the Stock classes, when running the 1/4 Mile, you cannot exceed the max race-height (Ex. CSH is 3/4" so you have run at or below 3/4") but when running the Kilo, there is not a max-height.

When originally setting up the race boat that Darrel Sorensen built specifically to go in a straight line, he said: setup is Level/Level - and I haven't veered much away from that since the beginning. RPMs are dramatically higher, at least in my experience - almost 8000, which is way past the torque curve for the 302, but it still keeps on pushing. Prop pitch is similar to your long course prop - 12.5-75 or so. Also, biggest secret I've found is to run a worn out motor. I've even tried not tightening in the spark-plugs on a run and there isn't any speed difference that I can see - just make a mess. I plan to test that more later.

Comment

• David Weaver
                      David Weaver commented
                      Editing a comment
                      So save those old rings and sloppy cylinders.....

• racer4s
                      racer4s commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great job, John!!! Congratulations!!! Was the osy record set in your kilo boat? Did Bob run a UIM 102 or 302? Are you planning on starting another string this year in APBA Osy? Good luck at winter nationals.
                      Be safe.

Congratulations to John on the OSY record. It is an accomplishment. The best that a Yamato had done through the traps prior to that run was our one way, 77 mph kilo run with a 102 at Oroville, March, 1997. On the return run at that time, at 77 mph, the gears/gear case broke about 200 ft short of completing the run (74 + avg.), so its been 18 years in coming. The water last Sunday when John ran was exactly the same mirror water that was there in 1997...and as John mentioned, without the late day small rollers at the far end. The stars have to align to see those average speeds, but with the knowledge we both have, there may be a little more speed to be had....but it does have to be ideal conditions. I have mentioned to a few people that in my mind, records aren't "owned", they are "borrowed". One person has them for awhile, then someone else "borrows" them for some time. John's excellent accomplishment indicates that the record may be residing with him for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Wartinger View Post
                      Congratulations to John on the OSY record. It is an accomplishment. The best that a Yamato had done through the traps prior to that run was our one way, 77 mph kilo run with a 102 at Oroville, March, 1997. On the return run at that time, at 77 mph, the gears/gear case broke about 200 ft short of completing the run (74 + avg.), so its been 18 years in coming. The water last Sunday when John ran was exactly the same mirror water that was there in 1997...and as John mentioned, without the late day small rollers at the far end. The stars have to align to see those average speeds, but with the knowledge we both have, there may be a little more speed to be had....but it does have to be ideal conditions. I have mentioned to a few people that in my mind, records aren't "owned", they are "borrowed". One person has them for awhile, then someone else "borrows" them for some time. John's excellent accomplishment indicates that the record may be residing with him for awhile.
                      Well said by one of the Masters. Congratulations Bob, on your UIM OSY record. I think you said to me, that is Number 132 and counting...... WOW.
                      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Working...
                      X