Looking for good Tach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for good Tach

Been chasing lost speed in my 500 Mod Hydro. Looking for a reliable tachometer. Haven't had much luck with Tiny Tachs. Any recommendation would be appreciated. Jack

Tried a TT with my 302 - never got any reliable data... then broke down and bought a Mychron 4 - never regretted it! Base model includes RPM, IR lap and temperature sensors (although IR lap sensor really for kart racing unless you figure out how to put a IR beacon on water course) - can also buy a GPS module for it that will provide rpm/speed data for acceleration, etc.. You can also purchase a data key to transfer all data to your laptop. Base model runs around $325-350, GPS module around $295.

Comment

I went to Mychron myself. Can not say enough about it. Just a not of what I found out and this applies to TT also. You can wire the tach lead into the kill switch hot lead. Both take reading right off the primary lead which is at the kill switch. For the TT, you can put a switch in the lead line to the TT. Switch it off when you start and after you get on plan, switch it on. You will no longer get the spike readings from getting on plane.

Comment

I like the DigaTron tach, set up to sense a rotating mini magnet via a transducer mounted close by.
        Either drill or glue the supplied micro magnet onto the flywheel and set the pickup within a 1/8",
        and the tach turns on when it reads a signal
        No need to break into the ignition system . No stray EM sources to give false readings .
        They will also supply multi channel heads that read cylinder head temps , lap times etc ,
        and will store data that can be down loaded onto a lap top via a data logger program they supply ,
        all for $$$, of course.
        Brian Hendrick, #66 F
        "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

probably 50% of Tiny Tachs don't work right out of the box. Stock or Mod Yamato you could use a Mychron 3 one carb adjust both cyl . The 4 2t is better for the Pro motors with the 2 temps but a lot more money.
          I tried a tiny tach on my 250 last year. I knew it sucked when it froze on 19,999 rpm and Eric Schmidt and Amy went past me so fast my boats feeling got hurt. Waste of $69 and maybe that day I was lucky if it was close 12,000 rpm
          sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

Tiny Tachs do have a problem with point ignitions, per their tech the plug wire signal is not clean. No go on my Yamato. They do work well on CD ignitions at least on mine but I have the old style TT1C with hour reading. Now they have the multiple engine settings TT's, those seem to be more problematic. So far at 8 years old my TT still OK until the battery dies?
            "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
            No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Working...
            X