1980s Charlotte Regattas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980s Charlotte Regattas

This was a poster that the Charlotte Optimist Club produced for the 2nd annual regatta on Lake Norman, about 27 miles north of Charlotte. This post is for you, Bob Rusnak, probably the regatta that you attended with Pete Voss & Gibby.

I modeled this regatta the year b4 on what the St. Lawrence Valley Club and Hydro Club de Quebec had been doing for years: that is, to get the community to pay the racers for the show. We paid money by the heat in the order of finish. Entry fee was low to non-existent (I forget now how much, maybe $5).

The previous year I worked closely with Ann Fitzgerald and David Weaver's uncle in Raleigh to include the Inboarders, just as the SLVBRA and Hydro Club de Quebec clubs had always done, both Inboard & Alky at the same regatta, and I implemented the same schedule: 250 O, 145IN, 350 O, 280IN ... and so on interleaving the PRO Outboard and Inboard heats to keep the program running on time.

What happened that 1st year is that a tired ol' 145 IN popped loose its lifting ring and fell slam to the pavement while high on the crane lift, destroying the boat utterly. That soured the Inboarders on my regatta, so I neglected to invite them back for Year Two. Saved the cost of the crane!

I know I ran those 2 regattas, just can't quite remember whether we ran a 3rd. I think we did, but the optimist Club Geezers were tired. At 44, I was one of their youngest members. I'd proposed the regatta program in summer instead of their standing out in the cold to sell Xmas trees, their usual gambit.

The retired guy who produced this poster had been in the movie-promotion business for local theaters and had the necessary contacts to make this poster for our regatta. -- dave

I forgot to mention that the Optimist Club had the unique opportunity to charge admission because the access to the boat-racing site and pits were down a quarter-3/8-mile drive out of sight of the racing venue. That proved important because the elderly Optimists never got off their bums to sell ads in the program, which was supposed to be what was to pay for the race in the normal St Lawrence Valley Club style. All in all, the regattas came out OK, but when I moved on after 1984-85, nobody in that elderly club ever picked up the ball and ran.

Comment

It was quite a event. I remember there were a good field of "Alky" boats there. Not sure if there were any stock guys. I remember seeing one of the "chase" boats there powered by a MK 30 engine, I thought that was cool. I also remember Pete, Gib and myself going to a local bar to eat. I think we were the only ones in the place and ate catfish. Great meal and lots of beer. Jimmy Aderholt was sitting by himself so we invited him to set with us. The waitress was off duty by then but stayed serving us until we left. When we got the bill I don't think it cost us $10.00 each for all we ate and drank. We left a great tip for her.

Comment

Defiitely weren't any Stock boats there because I designed the regatta as a strictly "professional" Inboard & alky event from Ground Zero. The Mark 30 "chase boat" was probably my 14' Duratech, still have the engine awaiting resto, but I sold the boat.

I can't imagine wherever you found such a good bar/restaurant anywhere near that regatta site! I took Larry Latta to breakfast on Saturday morning. "Anywhere but a Biscuit Place", he requested. So I drove Larry down 2 exits toward Charlotte on I-77, stopped at a breakfast place, and what they served was biscuits! I was chagrined & embarrassed. Larry went to his grave probably cussing me out about that.

Comment

It was a little bar pretty close to the race site. I kind of forgot where we stayed that night but it was a small place, really old but clean. Maybe Pete Voss remembers.

Comment

Working...
          X