No announcement yet.

Vintage Alky Boat Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, for the few who are interested . . . .

Try this, just for the sake of discussion. I'm not so invested in the ideas that I'll argue for them. I see this notion as just possibly having some interest to some APBA clubs, not USTS:

First point - - The idea here is to set things up so that the old motors are not left two and a half laps behind, BUT to avoid favoring them to the extent that they could run on an equal basis with the new engines. Nobody who has invested the megabucks for up-to-date equipment should have his competitiveness taken away by rule changes.

Second point - - As I hear it, the four-cylinder Konigs and Yamatos, as Fuschlin and Kirts have shown, still can be built to make a good showing against the newer motors, so no step-downs for them.

Third point - - Step down rules would only be in effect for local club races, not national events. But the local races are usually where more boats are needed to fill up a class.

Old motor step-down rule: Any two cylinder older than (pick your date, maybe 1980?) could step down one class. Old Class A/250 engines could step down to 175cc, old Class B/350 twins could run in 250cc, four cylinder Quincy loop C engines could run as 350s, and so on. These rules would basically apply to manufactured engines. Engines judged by the race inspector or referee to be sufficiently modified or hand-made that they are not representative of performance levels of 1980 would not be allowed to step down. Quincy loop sixes or copies could not step down.

Cross-flow motors with open pipes could step down two classes, with the exception of sixes, which could only step down one class. Thus, old A Mercs could run in the 125cc class, B Mercs and Champs could run in 175cc, and so on.

Step-downs would not be eligible for national or local points.

If there are enough boats to require eliminations to get to twelve-boat final heats, step-down boats would not be allowed to bump any regular class boat that had made a legal start and finished the eliminations heat.

There would be an APBA "step-down czar" who would take note of actual race results, and make adjustments to the stepdown rules to keep them in the spirit of my first point, above. And again, the local club inspector and referee could make rulings on the spot to keep things in compliance with my first point. Furthermore, the PRO commission could make rulings, or even terminate the step-down rules anytime during the season if it proves unworkable or causes dissention.

A couple of thoughts. It very well might be that hardly anyone will want to bother with running and possibly breaking their old museum-piece motors. An exception might be Yamato 80s from the Restricted B era (which could run as 250s) because, as I understand, new pistons are on order (yes? no?). Stock Model 80 pistons wouldn't work well for a full-house alky motor, but if owners got together maybe they could make a quantity purchase of semi-finished pistons from the new manufacturer. Could this work for some other motors? Are there motorcycle pistons that could be made to work in Quincy loopers? Could/would Konny make a small run of 500cc pistons with the skirt dimensions of the old FA Konigs? And do the collectors have anybody making new pistons for A/C or B/D/F Mercurys?

Still, it's highly probable that this is a lot of gimmickry that might only bring out a dozen old rigs, a couple of times each, spread around the country, and if so, it's not worth fooling with.

Fun idea though. There must be nearly a dozen old A Konigs and early 250 Yamatos and A/B Loopers in Reg. 10 alone that could be assembled and run, as a way to get a 175cc class off the ground here (and that's a good class for old guys).

Last edited by Smitty; 03-04-2015, 09:11 AM.

Comment

OK, so there are a number of you with interest in organizing a PRO vintage association. Now, go do it. Do not wait around for others to organize it for you. Figure out what you want to achieve (preserve equipment, have demonstrations, really race, etc.). Do not get frustrated with or upset with current racing clubs that are busy with their agendas and do not have time or interest to further your agenda. If you develop a value proposition for local clubs (entries, help at races, etc.) then you might be invited to join some races. You may also find that you are welcomed at antique/classic boat events.

Regarding current PRO racing:

1) There are a lot of step-down rules in place for sometime that have not been used by a single member in a very, very long time. These are basically wasting space in the present rule book. Two-cycle innovation has just advanced too far for catching up.
      2) You can race your "classic" engine so long as your boat and engine meet present safety requirements. If your classic rig is too slow, you and the race committee need to consider the safety of the field of boats (may not be an issue at some races with fewer entries).

So, I encourage you to organize and develop a thoughtful agenda. Be patient and do not get frustrated with those who do not share your enthusiasm.
      David Weaver

Comment

Oltonbroad UK i believe runs a handicap race with many different classes in the race. Might be something to think about for racing what ya brung. Would be fun especialy if the rules were very simple and limited. For me you guys have already said tooo much.

Comment

If enough guys in a particular club really want to do this, and if the APBA, or the local club, or owners of new equipment get huffy and the thing looks like too much of a hassle, maybe they could work something out with the nearest wildcat club or antique club.

I would think some of the APBA member clubs would welcome the chance to fill out some of their poorly-attended classes. But trying to develop and pass new step-down rules along the lines I suggested, rules that might bring the old stuff out to the races, will probably generate so much wrangling that they might prefer to just continue to run their four-boat heats, institutional inertia being what it is.

(I'd be interested to hear comments about the questions I asked above about possible new pistons . . . ).

Comment

• David Weaver
            David Weaver commented
            Editing a comment
            Smitty, just an observation - Attempts to utilize step down rules in PRO have generated virtually 0 entries over the past 30 years. That is not institutional inertia, it is a lack of interest by the owners who the PRO commission attempted to attract back into racing. This has been tried...it was not successful.

• dwhitford
            dwhitford commented
            Editing a comment
            Smitty, I got a PM from you stating that you had no idea how to deal with somethiing about personal messages. Neither do I. Email me at sdwhitford-at-cox-dot-net, and we can sort it in a civilized, friendlier (than HydroRacer) way. I like your ideas.

• Smitty
            Smitty commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, Whitford, for all of the yapping I do on-line, there are a lot of gizmos and techniques I don't yet know about. I'll email you, but I'm not having a problem with the responses here. For instance, Weaver's objection to my suggestion isn't personal; he just thinks that hardly anyone would make use of a new set of step-down rules. And as I said before, this very likely would prove to be the case. Whatever, I don't take objections personally.
            Last edited by Smitty; 02-27-2015, 10:15 AM.

Dave, you will never make this work theTitle series racers are not going to let this happen period, they do not have but a handful of races now, and can very seldom have a full field of boats for the classes run now, the problem is not enough boats to really get the spectators interested to keep coming back, I remembr when the nationals were held years ago you had to qualify in an elimination heat or flight as it was called to get to run in the finals for the championship, you had as many as 30 plus in 350 hydro and as many if not more in the other classes, they surely do not have that many entries at the nationals now.

Comment

This has nothing to do with the USTS. Other then a very few of us, none of them run APBA anyway... this is for APBA races.
            sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

It is pretty Amazing how the USTS has less boats but gets more sponsor money every year. Figure that one??

Comment

• dwhitford
                dwhitford commented
                Editing a comment
                It doesn't take much figuring.

The answer is good promotion, and the overall race community, who is committed to working hard to be professional and get the racers paid and supported, instead of a bunch of Stock hobbyists who are content year after year to knuckle under and pay for their own boat rides 100%.

The money is out there to pay the racers. It's just a matter of working to capture it. Saint Lawrence Vally Boating and Racing Association and Hydro Club de Quebec proved it long years ago in the 1960s and '70s, and even I -- nerd that I am -- was able to do so at least twice in Charlotte in the early 1980s.

• rumleyfips
                rumleyfips commented
                Editing a comment
                Dave: I was one of those "hobbyists" with self esteem low enough to knuckle under. Anytime anyone asked I told them that I was a racer and counld'nt care less about trophies or cash. I was fine with financing races out of entry fees with no awards. I ran 13 to 15 weekends a year ( 26 to 30 races ) because I liked racing not because some local Chamber of Commerce guy was going to present me with the equivalent of a chamber pot.

I did go to a Quebec stock race in the 70's where they had good prize money $50,30,20; a big step up from the usual $15,10,5. Quelle surprise when I went up to grab the cash and found it was per heat. 4 firsts in ASR and 3 seconds in ASH ( hard to beat Ron France ) and they gave me $300 ; more than I made a week. So: I bought a crank, a prop , some rods and took the gang out for dinner and went home broke. The next weekend I ran , and won, for cheap trophies and had just as much fun.

Does knuckling under mean enjoying myself?

Glad you said it Dave. lololo

Comment

USTS drivers still pay the registration fee's. We don't race for free. It pays show money, NOT Tow money. Its a big difference. As for less boats, Maybe from years past, ok But the Title series races I have been at in the past 3 years I have only raced against full fields in 250
                sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

We should not steal this thread from the original topic, organizing vintage PRO equipment owners. The "other" discussion should have its own thread. Promotion of boat racing already has multiple threads. I am not suggesting that these conversations cease, just hold them elsewhere. It would be fun to see some vintage PRO equipment set-up more static displays at racing events. Could be a good start.
                  Last edited by David Weaver; 02-27-2015, 06:02 AM. Reason: Typo's
                  David Weaver

Comment

• dwhitford
                    dwhitford commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I want more than a static display for my rig. I want it to run, even if I need to be the driver!

Its interesting that some of you are so proud of your racing division that you'll make snarky remarks about other racing divisions. Race your boat, protect your trailer box, do what you want but if you want to start slinging mud at the stock division then come join us for a weekend of racing and see how competitive it is and how much fun we have. By the way, I do not see anywhere in the rules that you can not race a vintage pro rig with the Title Series. It may be frowned upon but that does not mean you can not do it.
                  Joe Silvestri
                  CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
                  JH/JR

Comment

Don has an old Butts hydro and a 87 Yamoto reed valve engine. This was one of the most reliable pro engine we had. The only heat we ever missed was because of a shear pin. When the 92 Yamoto's and hybrid engines came out we were obsolete but that is progress. We tried to get it approved for the RB class but was rejected so we retired the rig. It still was not as fast as the new Quincy's that came out so never understood the reason for not allowing it. Don would love to run it again but doubt if we have the time to make the boat race ready.

Comment

• dwhitford
                      dwhitford commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What's a "hybrid engine", Bob? Remember, I was out of touch with boat racing from when I retired in OCT '86 until 2013 when I began lurking off at CVRA regattas: 27 years of not observing the evolution of PRO engine technology.

I encourage you & Don to ready the rig. CVRA is apt to run some VAH as a special event at the Club's regattas, pending member approval at the APR Tabor City regatta.

Meanwhile, I plan to enter my VAH as a "current" 250 at CVRA regattas & maybe elsewhere, just as an additional boat in the overall field.

I agree with David Weaver and by the way Dave long time no see. Lets keep the post on track for the purpose it was intended for. No need to ruffle any other categories feathers they are racers too. Ok Chick or Neil Larose I know where there is a LaRose 500 yamato

Comment

I have not paid attention over the past few years to boat racing, but the antique class is still around right in the pro division? Why they left formed their division and came back..
                      Well Chris Helston and I are always scratching are head over that one.
                      Just give them their own division again in A.P.B.A again
                      Just pick the popular classes like all the old 500 cc koinqs still around
                      Or all the old 250 cc and 350 cc koinqs and yamatos lying around , keep any new boats simple, and I don't know much about old stocks, mods or inboard stuff but take the old pre say 1995 stuff and pick which has the most numbers still around and make a new antique division

And do a kiss, keep it simple stupid

The guys with the old stuff just want to get in the water and play, throw races, do what pro wrestling did make it a show , get fans , to have a show a blast , with the old equipment

Just a thought
                      Last edited by Bear513; 02-28-2015, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Build a division up for just show, split all money 50/50 , a winner will just have bragging rights and old guys like chic can go out and just have fun

Comment

Working...
                        X