APBA vs USTS insurance cost question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APBA vs USTS insurance cost question

I saw Mark Wheeler's article in the most recent Propeller concerning the current insurance costs for an APBA race. As we know one of the reasons USTS left APBA was insurance cost.

My question is, is the K & K, NBRA coverage still a deal compared to what APBA has?

It would be nice to get everyone together again, especially at the nationals. It was like going home to visit Momma once a year.

Tim Weber

First USTS is no longer with NBRA
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Second NBRA has lowered liability to one million compared to APBA at 5 million so it is a Apples to Oranges thing

Comment

I didn't know about the NBRA
        thing.

Is the USTS all on their own?
        Tim Weber

Comment

The US TITLE SERIES now deals directly with the insurance companies to get the best coverage of all boating associations. Everyone is welcome to come to the USTS Nationals still at Depue the last weekend in July every year. Still getting around 200 plus in entries. Nothing has changed except last year we had nearly 40,000.00 in prize money.

Comment

• fcliff
            fcliff commented
            Editing a comment
            Darn! I just discovered this conflict. I thought Depue would be the last weekend in July not the first weekend in August. We always enjoy going to Depue and then traveling on to the APBA Mod nationals. Wont work this year with them scheduled at the same time. (or is there a chance the date on the Title Series web page is wrong?)

• adamallen
            adamallen commented
            Editing a comment
            So if I'm planning on attending DePue to race OSY. What are the coverages? As it would be a part of my decision to come and race.

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
          First USTS is no longer with NBRA
          This is the first I have heard of this but I think it is a good thing for both organization.
          Larry Mac

Comment

Darn! I just discovered this conflict. I thought Depue would be the last weekend in July not the first weekend in August. We always enjoy going to Depue and then traveling on to the APBA Mod nationals. Wont work this year with them scheduled at the same time. (or is there a chance the date on the Title Series web page is wrong?)

Comment

Originally posted by fcliff View Post

Bummin! I had my trip all planned to hit both Depue and Wakefield all in one trip as well. I thought Depue was held on the last FULL weekend of July. I thought wrong.
              http://vitalire.com/

Comment

Depue is always started on the last Friday in July with testing the Wednesday/Thursday before that Friday.

Comment

Ray-- Is there anyway for Depue to be weekend before which is last full weekend in July.. I know may be too late, but I think there are some of us who were planning on hitting Depue on the way to Wakefield...
                  Rick Miller 34-0

Comment

• David Weaver
                    David Weaver commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Rick,that date (last Saturday in July) was established a long time ago by the Men's club. Even if a change of date would garner more entrants (in the non-USTS classes) it is unlikely to occur.

Originally posted by blueskyracer
                  NBRA has lowered liability to one million compared to APBA at 5 million . . . .
                  A million dollars coverage doesn't seem like much nowdays, given the hordes of ambulance chasing lawyers . . . .

Comment

That's why one race already got cancelled this year.. One million covers nothing these days

Comment

Usually it is up to the town, county or who ever is granting the use of the water to tell the amount of insurance they want. If it is two million required, that is what they will need. Right now we don't know what amount the title series is looking into.

One thing I do know if there is a one million policy, lawyers will sue for 10 million and settle out of court for the one million. Same with a 5 million, will sue for 50 million and settle for the 5 million. Of course their are exceptions. Lets see where this will all go.

Comment

The first time I had anything to do with putting on an APBA race was 1964. For a one day race we paid $25 sanction fee, $44 insurance, $25 for the stand by ambulance (for the day) However the insurance was only for $20,000 liability. The entry fee was $3 per class. Our biggest expense was trophies $140 How have times changed!

Comment

• blueskyracer
                          blueskyracer commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes times have changed.. So how much was gas back then?? 25-30 cents a gallon??

NBRA at the National Meeting decided the one million option works best for us and our sponsors. We really don`t want to be compared to what APBA does. Our organization works for us. I am not familiar with Montana`s problems so i cannot comment on that. But if you want fun racing without all the bullcrap come give us a try. All of our races pay tow money, and it is not chump change. Check us out with some the racers that have come race with us, you might be surprised. As our motto says Competition last three laps, but friendships last forever. Art K

Comment

• PROPDOC
                          PROPDOC commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Well said Art, I too am tired of all of the comparisons.

• Racerkyle20
                          Racerkyle20 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'm just curious, but the Montana guys are NBRA right? Sounds like the new plan doesn't work for them. Hope you guys can figure that one out. As far as comparing with APBA, you are compared because you're still boat racing. Only three organizations in the US putting on insured boat races. It would seem to be a good question to compare the two or three orgs.

• Mrs blueskyracer
                          Mrs blueskyracer commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Venue in Montana requires a minimum of $2,000,000 general liability per occurrence (because they self insure to that amount so want to be sure any event held in their "territory" has coverage in place to that level). Yes the Montana Outboard Racing Association was with NBRA. At this point all MORA activities are on hold until we evaluate the situation in greater detail. The dates that we had have now been reassigned to another event so that the town & community does not loose money.
                      Working...
                      X