Mod Commission Wrap UP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mod Commission Wrap UP

As the newbie on the Mod Commission, I would like to report that no matter where you came down on the various topics I found the meetings to be kept on focus and business was conducted as fairly and objectively as one could hope for. I was particularly encouraged that the inspirational essence of Mod emerged in the form of enthusiastic good wishes for an inexpensive little powerhead that was never even intended to be an outboard and a relaxation of rules so more of the motor heads can have fun with the likes of the old 22 cu in OMC which litter the landscape at least in our area. There is no denying that the issue of weight for DMR brought out some conflicting emotions. My own support for the proposal to lower the current weight by 20 lbs was an obligation on behalf of Region 2 and does not represent my own feelings on the matter. Now it goes back to the vote by the class members. I can say in good faith that George Luce well earned this re-visitation having been largely responsible for bringing the class back from oblivion. I can well remember when Don Fryckland kept the class going in the northeast. No matter how you vote on this latest proposal, all should hope that George continues to carry the DMR banner which he inherited from Don. Good luck to all in 2015 and keep Modifying !
    Hunter III

Good post Hunter, hope a good decision is made to help get the 750's back on track.

Comment

before i reply to the [back on track] thought and before I get drawn deeper into this than my previous posts i would ask the following. # 1 = what would the cost be to purchase a built 70# [ heard this is what some weigh in at] 750 luce style runabout [or for that matter, any style]? OR a used one? Since most [ only guessing at this ] would be giving a 20# plus advantage to the drivers that already have these rigs [if the proposed weight reduction to 475# is passed] I would be interested in knowing what the cost would be to remain competitive. Maybe some boat builders can respond to this.

Comment

Be interesting to see if there are any of these Luce boats that actually weigh the so called 70 lb. We have one and it is no where that weight (heavier) . A good engine will make up any difference in weight of the boat as a good prop and set up ( good driver). You don't need to buy a lighter boat, just a good designed designed one. Just my opinion.

Comment

"I was particularly encouraged that the inspirational essence of Mod emerged in the form of enthusiastic good wishes for an inexpensive little powerhead that was never even intended to be an outboard"

So... What is it?

Comment

Google PRD Fireball 125. Single cylinder kart engine, light , $1200, lots of hp. Google Yamaha KT100, it would make a great Astock. $700 on sale, 16 hp, lots of parts and expertise around, simple- single cylinder , air cooled.

Think outside the box.

Comment

• Shane_B
              Shane_B commented
              Editing a comment
              That PRD Fireball 125 looks impressive - 26 hp @ 15K rpms. Simple to modify to mount on LU - would scream.

I like the idea.............a Stock/Modified engine that is ready to go without having to be butchered up. Can't beat the price tag either!! What a great entry level class and simple motor.

Comment

125 Mini Mod

The PRD Fireball on pump gas makes 26ish HP at 15,100 rpm. The complete engine pack is a bit over 1600 bucks, has, I think
              6 replacement pistons in .002 increments, so can be run quite a while, BUT if you roast a jug, that's gonna cost you over 500.
              The engine can also be purchased as a replacement and doesn't have many of the Kart related parts. Carb not included this way.

I would restrict it to original exhaust, pump gas and original Carb . It looks like a big B boat or C boat I would think.
              Any gear housing. Possible ratios 12/15, 16/21, 14/19, 11/15, and 11/16.
              The pipe is an enclosed chamber but they have around 4 different length intermediate pipes that go between the manifld and chamber.
              Oh yes, let's not forget to give drivers a weight so they have something to grumble about. Yikes!!

It should be limited to just the PRD engine, there are a lot other of Kart engines available but they are 2 to 3 times the price of the Fireball.
              Some observations . Sorry Matt, if it's going to be a Mod engine, Something's gotta get butchered. This is the MODIFIED OUTBOARD category isn't it? Its not gonna fit right out of the box.

In a Kart this engine is mounted on the right rear and the exhaust exits the engine toward the left in about a 30 degree angle.
              Because the engine, when mounted as an outboard is turned 90 degrees, the exhaust will need to be turned.
              So your choices are, make a new exhaust manifold, or if don't mind cutting and re welding, the original manifold can be used.
              The stock manifold has 3 studs attaching it to the block so when you rotate the pipe an adapter would be needed. I am still working on those details.

Carb needs to be rotated, the manifold here is also the cover plate for the reed block and the pulse port for the pump diaphram
              is also in the manifold. possibly a new casting or some machine work and a plate to relocate carb and pulse channel.

You still have to make spray shield, full butterfly, and throttle hook up, and chamber bracket and mountings, flywheel cover and rope plate.
              This on a stick tower with an alkie gear housing would be nice. I want to build one even if it did end up on the rack along with my D mods.
              When I see what the Commission actually specified, I will start making patterns, and hopefully ordering an engine.
              This is a nice little project, what size props would a mosquito motor need? Who else would build one?

Pete
              Don't laugh.....it's borrowed!!

Comment

Working...
              X