No announcement yet.

US Title Series Jetty Starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think both hydroplane heat start styles have merit given the dominant hull designs being raced. However, I agree that the Euro-designed hydroplane hulls and motors are built purely for jetty or beach starts (long narrow hulls & tunnels, planing shoes, inset motor mounting with deep settings, and small sponson contact surfaces). You can easily "submarine" the front right sponson and nose of a Euro-design hydro performing a slow, right turn while entering the course or milling (been there, done that). I do also agree that the Euro GRM and VRP italian motors are not currently designed to mill - they are designed to only race in full throttle, high rpm conditions with pretty crude carburetors compared to other motor sport racing engines with fuel injection (the GRM 250's don't idle down like some of the Yamatos used to do). I think Bill's comment was appropriate. A swamped hydro usually stops a heat and a flooded motor running in a heat can be a hindrance in the corners to drivers running at high speeds (been there, done that).

I think this start type decision for hydroplane classes should be made entirely by the drivers directly impacted and actively participating in PRO USTS hydro races, and not influenced by spectators to the sport. Change is always hard to adjust to in any sport. If US PRO hydro drivers and owners choose to continue to embrace the Euro hydro hull designs then we need to race them like they were meant and designed to be raced. It's purely a matter of marine "hydro" dynamics (pun intended) and the physics of a modern hydroplane hull's capabilities and characteristics. Yes, if everything goes right with no conflicts in milling a driver can race a Euro hull with a clock start. However, the UIM sequence used to jetty start helps to identify motors that will not run well before the heat begins and allows running the motor for a timed warm-up period before the start of each heat. I was never really skilled at racing the Euro Mostes hull I bought in 2008, but I drove it enough to get a feel of what it would do and what it would not do before and during a heat. That's my 2-cents worth. I hope to race at least one USTS O-250 race next year with my GRM 250cc setup before retirement from boat racing.

Al
    Last edited by Al Peffley; 11-16-2014, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• raceright
      raceright commented
      Editing a comment
      The VRP,GRM can be tuned to race with a clock start ask Tim Small. All alky two stroke engines can load up for many reasons to include Konigs and Konny. The worlds at lake Alfred were run by the USTS because of the Professionalism that the USTS association has. But the USTS style racing will remain the style it is because it pleases the sponsors. If you wish to change the way you race than you only have two choices. 1. change the elected officials at the yearly elections. 2. race were the changes you wish are at. Al one of the main reasons the USTS is as successful that it is IS because it does Please the spectators.
      The USTS makes its own rules as the Directors see fit.

• Al Peffley
      Al Peffley commented
      Editing a comment
      I think Tim operates his PRO motors primarily on runabout hulls, doesn't he? The hydroplane hulls have different design features and traits. I don't wish to change anything about USTS. I was just commenting on the pro's and con's of jetty/beach starts from my limited driving experience. I understand the features of Giuseppe's new ignition and fuel systems setup and it is designed to optimize the UIM starts. I realize one can set up the motors with different carbs and ignition systems to fit the racing conditions and starting method. I am used to clock starts and pulling (not pushing) the pipe(s). I think Ralph has more experience than I and had some good comments about safety issues in both types of starts. I think most boat racing spectators come to watch boats go fast around the course and don't really care about what kind of start is employed in a heat. They come to watch the competition during the entire race. The flying starts with a clock work well for stock and mod outboard racing because all of their races have used a clock for decades. Milling extents the time required to run a heat for a race with many classes run in one day. The nice thing about the USTS racing schedule format is that USTS keeps the number of classes run in one day to a reasonable number per day on a race weekend. Most spectators I know do want to know when their favorite class is expected to run during the day. They don't come to watch milling before the heat start.

I just wanted to express my opinion that I beleive the dead engine start is intrinsically safer. However I went to boat races wherever they were with whatever kind of start.
    RWD

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Ralph, "dead engine start is intrinsically safer" really?

Bill, I do not mean the whole race, only the start. When boats leave the beach or jetty they are accelerating from zero to whatever speed they can reach to the first buoy, and are supposedly to travel in a straight line. If they do this there will be no accidents. I know this does not always happen, and I have witnessed boats changing lanes, bumping, and even turning over, but no injuries and seldom boat damage. The speeds at that time are too slow. I have also witnessed and been a victom of collisions while milling for the start, some with serious injuries, not to me fortunately.
    A clock start would be safer if drivers had to stay on the course until the one minute gun to cross into the infield.
    RWD

Comment

"In 1980 I was invited to Berlin by Hans Krage to enter the MRC race at Oberhafel, which was a clock start with thirty boats entered. I had never been in a laydown hydro before and had only two laps of practice before the race. I was driving a Dannish with a 500 Koenig with Dieter Koenig as my pit crew. Oberhafel had these finger docks which were like many marinas here for pleasure boats. The boat was launched off of the dock just as they do now with jetty starts. UIM rules did not restrict starting after the one minute gun, so Dieter told me that he would watch the clock and when there was ten seconds to zero, he would start the motor launch the boat and I was to leave the jetty and make a 180 degree right turn and go straight towards the clock as fast as the boat would go. I did this for three heats and finished seventh overall."

Herr Ralph, you are DA MAN! None of you have been to OberHavel, but, it's narrow, half the river is open for traffic and we raced on the other half. The front strait has a dog leg, narrowing it down from the usual five lanes to about two and a half. Along the back strait, there are these tiny yellow bouys to keep you out of the barge traffic and the infield consist of the width of the turn bouy.

We used a pure jetty start at this International event. Gary placed third in 0-350 behind Christian Steineder of Austria and winner Lazlo Volenter of Hungary. Like Ralph, I like to ramble. I ran OSY, but wasn't too successful. I stopped in one heat to help a competito that disappeared into the river in front of me and in another heat I broke a blade

BTW, one of the most popular and exciting classes run in APBA is SST 45, jetty starts and 30 lap features.
      " It's a sad day when you've outgrown everything"
      Art Pugh

Comment

I personally do not like Modified LeMans (jetty) starts as much as Clock starts but they can be fun. With a clock start you do not have to be the fastest to win. I guess that sounds weird but with the best 3 of 4 heat format and qualifying for lane position, it makes it pretty hard for a mid-pack guy to take home the win. As someone that has mid-pack speed, I like knowing I can beat other drivers head to head at the start on the course not just in the pits.

That’s just my opinion.

Don’t shoot me for saying this…... And it may not help, But...…. There is a place you can race that allows the uses of jetty starts. APBA General Racing and Safety Rules page 7.

"“RULE 10 • STARTING METHODS
        1. Clock (sweep hand or digital), Modified LeMans, Pace Boat or Flag Starts may be used and must be stated in sanction application.”
        Talk to your local Race Director, get it on the sanction and wait for the flag to drop."

Zach Malhiot
        Last edited by R13racer; 11-21-2014, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X