DSH Weight - Let's Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSH Weight - Let's Discuss

Over the past couple of years, when I get on the scale for DSH, it seems that I'm the only one that is remotely close to the weight minimum of 480 lbs. My thought, and seeing what others tip the scale at, is to up the weight in DSH to 500 lbs.

Maybe I'm wrong, but vote below! If this gets enough interest, I'll put together a proposal.
    Leave it at 480 lbs
    26.32%
    Push it to 500 lbs
    47.37%
    520 lbs sounds about right
    10.53%
    I need to eat less cheeseburgers.
    5.26%
    Hey you! You eat more cheesburgers!
    5.26%
    Did someone say cheezyburger?
    5.26%
    http://vitalire.com/

Lol...good post John. I have also thought that 480lbs for dsh is a joke. I weigh maybe 30lbs more then you, and I still come in at around 500lbs dripping wet when put on the scales. I do not get the 480 thing....Dave

Comment

I don't see why you would mess with it. If there isn't and issue why create one.

Shaun

Comment

Just a question for todays racers.
        Back in the 70's and 80's when you did not have all the safety clothing and reinforced sides,ect in the boat. The weight was 455lbs. What is the weight difference of the mercury and toshau vs the old 55h? And what is the additional weight of the safety equiptment, ect?
        Kegs

Comment

Originally posted by guedo499 View Post
          Over the past couple of years, when I get on the scale for DSH, it seems that I'm the only one that is remotely close to the weight minimum of 480 lbs. My thought, and seeing what others tip the scale at, is to up the weight in DSH to 500 lbs.

Maybe I'm wrong, but vote below! If this gets enough interest, I'll put together a proposal.
          cheezeburgers? I need to cut back on the 7-11 hot dogs!!!!!!!!!! But, if your buying, I am still eating them!!! Heck, I am for bumping the weight to 550!!!! Might give me a better chance of catching the Mercs........
          Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Robert M Keogler View Post
            additional weight of the safety equiptment, ect?
            Kegs,
            I always figure 15 pounds for the safety equipment - jacket, helmet, kevlar...
            444-B now 4-F
            Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Sooooo, what is the weight difference between the 44xs Merc and the Tahatsu with the electric start and such????

When i ran the 44xs the weight was 470 and i had to add 40 pounds of lead and my body weight was 185 as it is now??

I am guessing the Tahastu is like 175 pounds all trimmed out??

i am not a fan of lead....just sayin.

Comment

Howie and Matt, Thanks. I forgot about elec start and battery. I wish they had back in the 70's. Would have saved me a lot of recoils.
                Kegs

Comment

I guess I'd have to say I'm not too happy to hear thoughts about adding more weight to DSH. I'm having enough trouble making 480 as it is. With the decline in numbers that this class is experiencing it can only serve to run out a few more drivers and I'm likely to be one that could go away. When I started running D the weight was 440. I know that the Tohatsu has the class wired anyway, but it could still use a few Merc drivers to keep it going here in the Midwest. I guess it also makes more sense to switch to Pro where weight minimums aren't even dreamt of.

Comment

leave it alone....
                    Last edited by Team 12R; 10-15-2014, 04:25 PM.
                    Bill Dingman "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

Thank you all for feedback on this informal survey.

I will say, I run a Merc and I ain't gonna let those Toohotsues take me - Black in the Blood!!

But seriously, I weight a solid 135 with gear, have an all honey-comb boat, with a starter and battery, add 10lbs and weighted in a 482 after I set the last record. I just figured the full-figured American male of 220lbs is more common than the scrawny kid that wants to drive the two heaviest stock outboard classes... Keep submitting your feedback; I'll be eating a Bacon-Cheese-Burger and waiting in anticipation.

JP
                      http://vitalire.com/

Comment

I built my current boat in 2011, after my first Tohatsu D stock was destroyed at Kilos. I weigh 154lbs dripping wet, but I still wanted a boat that was as light as possible, so I could put lead in boat to trim it out as needed. I used carbon fibre, honeycomb, and the best Okume plywood I could buy for the decks and the non trips. I also run electric start with my Tohatsu, and bought a very light motorcycle battery to keep the wight down, and i am still 20lbs overweight when I hit the scales at the end of a race...I honestly do not know how I would or could get the boat down to the 480 range, aside from me going on a starvation diet, or something along those lines. If we would lose drivers by raising the weight I would say leave it alone, if we could gain drivers I would say take a look at bumping the weight up a little. Dave

Comment

just some off-season banter here, as I would not be in favor of raising the weight (even though I weigh in at close to 560lbs!!).....but, a couple "fruitful" ideas

1) lower the weight for the Merc guys to 470 and raise the Tohatsu guys to 510.......we need the Merc guys to stay involved in the D class and this should help them on the shorter courses....the long course the Merc is still faster, which I can accept and will continue to work to catch up......

2) equalize the height restriction for the Tohatsu to 0", same as the Merc, but raise the weight for the Tohatsu guys to 540lbs.........what what this achieve, who knows.....

although I sure as heck know that ......."I" am the one that needs to lose weight........not raise the class weight to help people like me.........although the "big boy" classes with weights(D, Dmod) are not as fruitful as those under 450lbs classes!!! So you "featherlights".....well.........you get it....

and if ANYBODY "bleeds black"......it is me....EVERY DAY.....ahahhahahaha
                          Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

• Racerkyle20
                            Racerkyle20 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Can I get some data for these ideas?

It might not be a bad idea to give the Merc guys a break on weight....they do not accelerate as fast as a Tohatsu, and maybe having a lower weight in DSH for the 44xs dudes (and gals) would get a few more people out. On a side note, totaly unrelated to racing..I am in Honolulu right now, flying out in the morning. I was supposed to fly out Monday, but had to change stuff because of work...wow...did I make the right call! There is a very large hurricane headed straight for Oahu, and there is a lot of fear here that there could be a large storm surge, similar to what happened in New Orleans during Katrina. Most of downtown Honolulu, as well as Waikiki and the airport, is at sea level......I sure hope things turn out ok here.....

Comment

my D comes in at 520 on the scale. 3 of the Ds in region 1 are Oconner boats setup is similar weight is similar. I would say leave the weight alone. lets change the prop height and let us run the 4 blade props. the boats handle way better and are safer to drive. Wish there were more Ds. Thanks goes out to the ones we have.

Comment

Working...
                            X