No announcement yet.

New Boats 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped deck and clean up stringers Saturday and now fitting new decks Sunday.. Boat is still like new inside
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Just curious. Assuming the deck was glued and stapled initially, how do you remove the deck without damaging the stringers. Looks to me like a hammer, a chisel, and a dumptruck load of patience would be the only way.
      "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress". -- John Adams

Comment

basically we hit the areas between the stingers with a hammer and pulled as much as possible off by hand.. Then we went and hand pulled with dikes the staples and then sanded down the stringers to the original wood basically sanding down the deck ply and epoxy.. It really went very well.. It would be no fun doing it by yourself.. With two people we each worked a side

Comment

• ZUL8TR
          ZUL8TR commented
          Editing a comment
          Before hammer banging the ply in non glued areas I have been successful using a router set to just a tad less than the ply thickness. First remove nails or staples then buzz the router with flat bottom bit over the areas of stringers that can be reached, a lot of ply then falls off where not glued. Then hand work for other areas and sand as needed. Easier if not a plunge router
          Last edited by ZUL8TR; 01-28-2015, 10:29 AM.

• Smitty
          Smitty commented
          Editing a comment
          Make it easier yet by using a carbide cutter in the router. Set it to exactly the thickness of the plywood and it will buzz right through the tops of old staples and even boat nails along with the wood.

(EDIT) I was asked whether this would work with stainless nails. Never tried it, and wouldn't count on it. Stainless is a demanding material to work, and generally calls for low surface speed and heavy pressure from the cutting tool. If you try it, I'd like to hear how it works.
          Last edited by Smitty; 02-08-2015, 10:23 AM.

Ahh...the sander instead of the chisel. Makes sense. Thanks Mike
        "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress". -- John Adams

Comment

• blueskyracer
          blueskyracer commented
          Editing a comment
          We did use a chisel in some of the tight areas

Sending Florida boats to the Northwest. Aero-marine 350 almost ready to deliver. Should be some good racing this summer.

Comment

Great looking boat Budd!

Comment

Latest photo of new O'Conner JSH for Eli Campbell in Region 1.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryR View Post
              Latest photo of new O'Conner JSH for Eli Campbell in Region 1.
              can you tell me the thickness on the windshield plywood?
              Looks great

Comment

The cowl is 3 MM and it is doubled at the top . A strut runs from the nose to the dash to tie it togather

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice boat, but have you consider not using the cowling strut at all?
                  I bet the cowling would be plenty strong enough without it, and it would be safer to the driver in case of an accident.

New deck is on.. Now just prep work and a coat of protection and the boat will be heading home for final finish.. Hope J Michael likes it and can keep it strait for a couple races.. Also we only took 1 hour to remove deck and fasteners.. Its really not rocket science

Comment

All done.. Heading back to Yakima after the epoxy coat dries for final finish and hardware reinstalled next weekend..

Comment

Headed for Oregon, might want to see what second place pays when Lee gets through.

Comment

Last boat left the shop today.. Want to wish everyone a great 2015 season

Comment

Thought I would share my winter project..

Comment

Charlie,,,,,,,,,,, Am still planning on seeing you at the Lakeland race..
                          I fly into Ft. Myers on March 4.

Comment

• charlieblackwoodt47
                            charlieblackwoodt47 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            cant wait...what about lake placid? feb 26,27,28,and the 1st

• runabout333
                            runabout333 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Charlie,,, I will not be in Florida for the Lake Placid Race.
                            I fly into Ft. Myers on March 4.
                        Working...
                        X