Big runabouts 40 ci

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big runabouts 40 ci

NBRA has seen the rebirth of the 40ci class hydro and runabout. Tohatsu motors with electric starts are becoming popular, particularly in the runabout class. Lack of Mercury parts drives the more reliable Japanese motor. This motor in the stock configuration has used for at least 4 years maybe longer. Many of these motors are still running with out major problems or even re-ringing. In the hydro class, over the last 4 years, the top 3 motors(high point) have been Mercury motors. This maybe due to the design change necessary in the Tohatsu boat, as most were run on old 44 boats and the bottom was too narrow for the heavier Tohatsu. The weight difference in the motors is around 40lb. If the 40 class wt. was raised, it would give the Tohatsu a chance. In the runabout, the boats are more able to carry the wt. and there has been more parity. The question remains, should old motors or new motors have an advantage? Because you (as hard as you try) can not make them the same.

Remove
    Last edited by Hydro doc; 09-11-2014, 05:43 AM. Reason: Please change

Comment

After going to the APBA nationals this year Tohatsu was the dominate motor in DSH.. I think folks need to up-grade their boats and find the right prop to make the Tohatsu a dominate motor with out rule changes in NBRA..
      Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

What year was the 40 CI merc sold new? I'm thinking that any person of sane mind, would be in agreement that you should make "sure" the motor that is currently available has a slight advantage or be at least equal??? Can you imagine if you took this principle up to the local dirt track level, and allowed a Rambler inline 6 the performance advantage over the current 355 chevy engine? BTW, I own a really good merc and NOT a Tohatsu!!!!

Comment

I am a real big fan of natural attrition. This class is not broke, don't try to fix it. Only a few Mercs left anyways. From what I have seen this season, the Tohotsu is pretty on the mark in the runabout.

However, as the rules process is in NBRA, if the drivers want it (majority) it will pass.
          Dave Mason
          Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Welcome Rick. Did the ride in Alans Run. hook you? This is a great class and gets larger each year.
            Art K

Comment

Last edited by Hydro doc; 09-11-2014, 05:40 AM. Reason: Ok

Comment

Doc, the weight was raised in the D Hydro and D Runabout last year along with the tuner pipe on the jap motor!
                "I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."sigpic

Comment

My dad is Hydro doc in these posts... and yes Art I did enjoy Alan's ride.. Must admit the push button start was the BOMB!!!! Am very seriously thinking of getting a rig for next year. Does look like a blast with great competition.. Gotta find room on the trailer for it amongst all the other boats and motors in the trailer..
                  Rick Miller 34-0
                  "Have not purchased a D Runabout yet,, but pondering"

Comment

I thought it was a mistake to approve the tuner pipe. It added an additional expense and so far, did little to improve the performance. On the West coast, they have been successful against the 44 stock Mercury and that maybe the reason to make the tuner pipe change. I would like to hear from those that bought the $1,400. unit.

Comment

Doc when you purchase anew Tohatsu it will come with the new style midsection it is the only one avaiable now. Tuner pipe will be a simple bolt on addition. I did install a tuner in the old style mid section last season my cost was $67.00 for a Tohatsu pipe from Alex. I did have to remove the powerhead and modify the pipe to fit inside the midsection. My total cost to do this was less than $100.00. Is it a game changer? No! But it has helped some. But with the new style mid section you will have a lot of options, such as pipe length and shape and that could be a game changer.
                      I made no modifications to the powerhead to install the tuner pipe on our engine. And you have to remember the 44xs that are really fast have been blue printed to the nth. Also the 40ci Merc that you are going to be running against is onlly slightly slower than the E Merc mod 44ci Also have heard claims from some drivers that it is just as fast as the E merc.
                      Art K

Comment

Weight was raised 5lbs WOW!!!!
                        Art k

Comment

Question - Is this class the largest growing class in NBRA ? Has there been an issue at any race of enough boats to compete ? Have you seen A Merc win ? Have you seen a Tohotsu win ?

I can answer some of these, I have seen the Tohotsu win against the Merc, in fact very recently. I have also seen the Merc win recently. I have never not seen D Hydro or D Runabout race at a NBRA venue.

I have seen the Merc 44xs win very recently. I feel this is the fastest engine in this class once it is modified per the APBA rules. NBRA adotped this engine into the class with APBA rules as it stands. I think the D drivers should be concerned more about this engine than anything else. Some of the very good ones in APBA could very easy dominate this class. I am also not a fan of height restrictions, and prop restrictions, etc, so how to deal with this ? I will support whatever the drivers of the class support. I again don't feel this class needs messed with.
                          Dave Mason
                          Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Its amazing how folks want to get the rules changed to fit the size of their driver or what they have on hand in their trailer
                            Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Dave, you and your dad have been very successful with Mercury motor and more recently with the 49 johnson. Would you buy$6,000 for new Tohatsu knowing that it hasn't beat a mercury in a national championship race? Vernon (Tohatsu)won on Sunday, but Kevin had motor problems. If you would ,then bring it, you can build the boat necessary to carry the weight. My concern, how do you build a boat that is 40lbs lighter and strong enough to last more than a year?

Comment

Working...
                              X