Alternative to crescent engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to crescent engine

Has anyone successfully adapted a petrol engine other than a crescent to use on a hydro. Preferably something that is readily available and 60hp plus. If you have can you post some info and pictures please.

Yes, it was called the OMC (Johnson and Evinrude) 45SS. It was raced briefly in both hydro and runabout classes in APBA.

Comment

The OMC 45SST engine is still being run in the OPC division and it's one of their highest boat count classes. APBA approved spares for the non OMC racing parts are being made by SeaWay I believe. From the tower up, all the parts are stock OMC fishing motors.
      " It's a sad day when you've outgrown everything"
      Art Pugh

Comment

The original 1986 OMC 45SS differed from the later tunnel boat version in that it was manual start and had fixed trim. No power trim allowed in the hydro and runabout APBA classes.

It was a great ride on a hydro, with speeds in the 85-90mph range, right out of the box.

I still have a copy of an Evinrude 45SS owner's manual, although my own motor was a Johnson. I sold that motor when the class changed to tunnels only, as I'm way too big for a 45SST tunnel.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
        X