No announcement yet.

125 Hydro design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are a several ways to go fast in the 125 class in the US.

A conventional kneel-down American Hydro-similar to a CMH works very well in clock- start in smooth to semi-rough water. A light lay-down American Hydro also work well.

The Euro boats work well on the race course and off the Jetty and in the rough water.

A typical American boat is about 10’3”-11’. 75- 81” afterplane with 48”- 58” sponsons. Typcially 34-36” wide. Weight can be anywhere from 90lbs to 130lbs depending on construction method.

Euro boats are usually 11’6” to 12’. ~80” afterplane with ~60” sponsons. The bottoms are 39-40” wide behind the sponsons and are necked down to ~32” in between the sponsons to reduce the air. They run almost entirely on the rear pads and sometimes on the back of the sponsons. Most of the euro boats are composite construction weighing 75- 90 lbs.

The most important thing is to have a good set-up/prop/motor combination.

Thanks,
    Mike Schmidt

Comment

Originally posted by mike_280 View Post

Euro boats are usually 11’6” to 12’.

Most of the euro boats are composite construction weighing 75- 90 lbs.
      Thanks, Mike. Was the first set of numbers something other than weight?
      (EDIT) Whoa, what happened, just now, temporarily, it showed me that it's feet and inches . . . . weird!

Originally posted by mike_280 View Post
      The most important thing is to have a good set-up/prop/motor combination.
      Hah, that's what I probably WON"T have for some time, since I'll be trying out some antique junk (esp. the driver!), and running at the back of the pack, mainly just helping fill the local 125ccH class and getting a boat-ride. But the whole operation should get better by stages, and meanwhile, I wouldn't want to get lapped more than once per heat, so I'm trying to get an idea of where to start out with regarding the boat.

Hope you are seeing areas for improving on the Euro-boats, Mike. Seems sort of embarrassing that they should be the leaders in outboard racing, since the thing was invented here. Best luck to you and your operation, and thanks again.
      Last edited by Smitty; 04-23-2014, 10:54 AM.

Comment

I will say since I am experimenting with a Euro design with my mods that you must remember that most of the stuff across the pond is designed with a driver 5'8" and 140 lbs approx.. I have a 6' 200lb driver with a heavier engine so a lot of changes.. I also have a US designed boat that works great but the Euro idea is much smoother for us old folks and likes rough water but in Europe a lot of their races are almost in white cap conditions..
        Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Call me, Bud Gann, you have my number or look at in on my ad on this site. Aero-Marine Design

Comment

Florida results: 1st: TBR Euro, 2nd and 3rd: Kala Euro, 4th Trombetta Euro and 5th O'Connor kneeler. Easy choice in my book....

Comment

Working...
            X