Minimum weight proposal for 750ccmr vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brian View Post
    Sticks and stones..... The class does not want to race 90lb carbon boats. If you want to spend all of your money and time taking weight out to fight physics race 850. This is a time to grow 850. Haters and mean people who call names will never have the answer to any social issue. The vote was like 12-5. It was not even close. Use logic not hate. Not one person lost a ride. We lowered the cost in racing 750r. We made 750 safer.....less single boat crashes! We leveled the playing field. We had a class with no weights...no need for two. You are just lying to yourself if you think weight does not equal speed and this speed can be bought. We voted and this is an American value. Taste your food before you salt it. This might just be a good thing..... See vote. And for fun...my skinny, high point champion, race winning wife, with her allegedly fat, lazy, and cheap husband who races 750r adds 37lb to her 200h before every race. These are some of my ideas about the class. Notice no hate or names calling. In fact I will drop some kindness. Thank you George. I bet you will still be a kind person and help other people. I am sorry people are using your name to express rage and anger on your behalf. I know this to not be in your spirit. And I still will help you lift your boats to the scales!
    Brian............not to speak for Mike but reading between the lines i believe his frustration is the fact that the DMR class was rebuilt once the weights were removed and grew into the most dynamic outboard class in APBA to watch. Removing the weights spurred innovation and hence renewed interest!!

So by adding the weights back in the Mod Commission and voting members have basically taken a formula that worked and said FU to all the innovators and folks that worked hard to revive the class. Maybe it is just human nature to screw things up that are working..........i have spent years with George Luce and James, Mike Schmidt has understated what Luce has given to the MOD DIVISION by helping anyone who was interested in the big runabouts. Oh well, guess the members have spoken. Happy Easter.

Comment

~Sounds to me before the weight change that if you are over 200 pounds, boat racing is not for you!?!?, unless you can afford to spend thousands on a carbon fiber boat, hell with that being said I am going to bite the ears off from my Daughters chocolate Easter bunny!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by john527; 04-20-2014, 08:19 AM.

Comment

NBRA never did take the weights off, and the big Run classes continue to grow. Lots of Luce design boats, but they make weight. I wonder how how you explain that.
        Art K

Comment

agree to disagree? I wasn't goin 2 rite my 2 sense on this thread but after reading the posts again I am shaming myself into doin so. I just got done swallowin a smart pill so I *** across as bein somewhat not as dumb as what I appear 2 others. here is a summary of some past quotes and thoughts. matt:" heavywates","heavyfolks" "jenny craig" "fu 2 the innovators" "nocked my daughter out". I'm thinkin, if we all look at these in a proactive way there is a possible sponsorship just wateing 4 some 1 here. how bout mike:" quit voting", "protecting lunch boxes" I'm thinkin the beer cooler not the box. bob rus: "tipacal of apba"and "2oo# boat" I'm thinkin apba shouldn't b held responsible for this , it is the dam [as in water over] drivers fault.and if bob really thinks he needs a 200# runabout get in touch with big dave everheart. lol [I don't no if its 4 sale]. I been tryin to figure this one out cause I am 200# [not proud of this ,just sayin, in fact if dadeo was still with me I'm sure he would have me on a no beer [maybe fewer] diet. Jenny craig might be easier 2 deal with. When dadeo, at 83ish built my last dmr [thanks 2 g luces's un selfishness] he made sure it was light enough to b competitive and is by no means close to 200#. In 2010 my total dmr wate was 492#[I think I am still competitive] and in 2012 I flipped that rig at a nats racing 4 1st. Don't no if some bow lead would have made a difference. Sooo, back to others, mike s:"guys to lazy,cheap and fat" I'm thinkin, this from mike surprises me, no shocks me. Also "thought mod guys were smarter". I'm thinkin,if boat racers were actually,[I mean really ] smart, would we b doin boats? As far as bob d and bob rus: "i,am quitting" I'm thinkin there will b more in the near future, but not due 2 the wate thing. It will be the age issue. I don't believe the weight issue will weaken the class as that was never the reason [no weight] that some of us got into mod, for myself it was simply the music made by the horns helped 2 silence the voices in my head and continu 2 do so. Maybe some will b better able to control their rides and the first turn will be safer, maybe the front and back stretches will be safer, maybe coming out of the turns will be safer, JUST MAYBE. In closing, I have talked with most that I have written about in my reply and have enjoyed those conversations. I wish when we meet next we can again have a enjoyable chat. Gotta like what kevin b wrote: " throw money at the water"[ by the way, I still have his toilet paper trophy] and what big d everheart wrote: "fun" I'm thinkin we all need to remember the fun part and getin home and back to next event is what we should be focusing on. One of my lasting memories will be last season at depue when dave everh received his championship trophy on the top of the podium. his smile and finally his accomplishment is what this is all about!!![and he was by no means the fastest but quite possibly the biggest] He enjoys the sport. Been doin 2 much thinkin and I believe the 1st smart pill has worn off.

Comment

I never have understood the argument for no weight.

If weight doesn't matter, why do we have weight limits on all the other mod and all stock classes? Why do we even bother with scales?

I guess physics doesn't apply to boat racing. It's amazing how race boats are void of Newton's law.

Tim
            Tim Weber

Comment

• Bob Rusnak
              Bob Rusnak commented
              Editing a comment
              The problem is the rules were changed after new boats were made and the class grew from that. It worked, so why change it? Please let me know what is a safe limit to how much lead should be added. If weight's were set for this class from the beginning, boats would have been built to meet that criteria. Will scrap 750 and run 850 from now on or just use the 750 class for testing and get DQ.

Originally posted by Tim Weber View Post
            I never have understood the argument for no weight.

If weight doesn't matter, why do we have weight limits on all the other mod and all stock classes? Why do we even bother with scales?

I guess physics doesn't apply to boat racing. It's amazing how race boats are void of Newton's law.

Tim
            Sir Isac's laws still apply....

Force still equal Mass times Acceleration, or at least it did the last time I looked...

And two objects can't occupy the same place at the same time... Another of his revelations that many racers still try to violate with predictable results (see the rule above)....

Comment

Look at the big picture folks.... I think the point is being missed here from all the anger. STOP protecting your own asses. Think about boat racing as a whole, not just your own dam rigs. The othe premier organiztion NEVER did remove weights from the class and it is has grown..... Like Art said figure that one out. You all are just nit picking on stupid stuff. And you wonder why APBA participation is dwindling.... here is a reason, read betwen those lines people.

And I stand here to state my opinion. The reason the class grew was NOT because the min weight was removed. I am willing to bet someone they never gave weight a consideration when they saw the class run and decided it looked like fun and wanted to get in it. It was a cheap second class for the 44 hydro guys. THAT is a big contrinuting factor to its growth. The other is how George revloutionized the designs and made the boats more safe. His first runabouts of that design were not that light. It eveolved into what it is today with all you stupid skinny people... see, I can name call too.

I think the few that want to leave the class should leave. Go run another class where your wallet can help you. Grow another class into a large exciting class.

Oh, and if you are coming to Mtn Home AR for the NBRA Nationals this summer, BRING YOUR LEAD as YOU WILL BE WEIGHED. Don't bother coming with the attitudes of we should let you run because you put all this money into a light boat... it won't fly. In fact, if you plan to come and complain just stay home. We have plenty of big runabouts to watch and race and have FUN with. I am not directing this to anyone in particular, as I know and like the posters on this thread. Keep the nit picking BS crap in stock and the engines of choice. Nothing is perfect in boat racing, so suck it up buttercups and have some fun.
              Dave Mason
              Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Was just looking at participation numbers in 750mr. Not even 1 heat of racing 750mr in region 4 & 5 this year! This wieghs heavy on my heart! Steve 10-Z

Comment

Any measure that has a material, negative impact on participation is like beating the disease, but losing the patient. We (outboard racing) do not have that luxury anymore. DMR was my favorite class at the local Region 4 and 5 events and now it is gone. Just a shame. I am one of those 200 pounders. When in doubt, I throw a lighter, younger driver in my 250cc. Bring back the noise!!
                  David Weaver

Comment

Why did the weight get removed and when? I took some time off from racing in the late 90's and early 2000's to raise my family and when I returned the weight was gone. It was affordable at one time then bam, time to pony up the money for a carbon fiber boat that weighs 100lbs. My rig and I have weighed 500lbs for the past 10 years, needless to say I am considerably slower than everyone else. Low and behold they put the weight back in and NO one races 750ccmr, they step up to 850ccmr where there is no weight. Class dead. Thats great. I didnt b.... and complain when i had it handed to me all the time. At the Lock Haven race I signed up for the 750ccmr class with my 44. The other two boats signed up for 850ccmr with there 44's. They said they wouldn,t make weight if they ran 750,so guess what class I had to enter? So whose fault is it the class is DEAD? I agree, always brought the fans and fellow boat racers to there feet when they would race. Everybody wants to know why our sports not in great shape, can't imagine why.

Comment

• Bob Rusnak
                      Bob Rusnak commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sad to say. Lock Haven had only three 750 Runabouts that showed up. I am still asking why. We knew we were under weight but would have entered and use the heats for a test session and run the 850 class. From what I was told they only had the 850 class for both days as a choice of two of the three drivers. It is the same boats, did it make a difference, I don't know. It was for fun anyway. There were so many classes to run off the last thing was to have another 3 boat 2 heat race of the same three boats. As it turns out only two were there to run on Sunday which was a not a legal race and would not start it. Just too bad the race committee did not know about this earlier. We only found out about this shortly before we were scheduled to race. It was never mentioned at the drivers meeting and the class was a go. So what happened? No 750/850 runabouts ran on Sunday. Boat counts are down all over, what is the answer?

Well the 7 people that voted the weight back in are the only ones that raced. Dead class and the way it looks now 850ccr isn't far behind. Look at the last 3 nationals for both classes. Not much to be excited about.
                    sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

What tha

Comment

The class may be dying in your part of the country but is thriving in ours. Our D runabout and E runabout classes are some of the biggest classes we run at every race
                        Keith Kampen

Comment

• David Weaver
                          David Weaver commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Keith, it is good that NBRA's class structure is working. Imagine how you would feel, if the rules were changed in your large runabout classes and then the participation dropped dramatically. I bet that you would be disappointed and would hope that the changes were reversed the following season. We saw this in APBA PRO with OSY 400. Class rules were adjusted in good faith and participation crashed over 2 seasons. Had too go back and consider reversing these changes

• DiGia54D
                          DiGia54D commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Keith, I was talking about the APBA 750 class. I know how big NBRA's classes are

What Keith Said... And they are GREAT to watch.. NBRA still runs a D-40c.i. class,, And I believe the "Hatsu" is a legal motor in NBRA "D".
                        Somebody correct me if I"m wrong. As I have had the priviledge of being on the judges stand for the past 2 years,,, it is really exciting to see
                        8-9-10 of these news BIG runabouts all within an arms length for the start... Also whether it be an ODA or an OBRA race,,, the amount of tow
                        money is well worth the trip. You east coast guys should consider making the trip to central Louisiana next spring.. Rick Miller could give you all
                        of the details. It probably wouldn't be any farther that making a trip to North Carolina. Also,, you would have a chance to try and beat the Y-44
                        boat of Kevin Mcafee.. If you can beat Kevin,,, you have beat the best...
                        Just my 2$$ worth promoting NBRA..

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dagostino View Post
                          Congrats to the' heavyweights' out there.............you have just knocked out my daughter from ever running the class again. But i am sure ya'll have new drivers coming in that will grow the class now that you have put weights back in. Kinda funny, a few years back the class was dead and the Mod Commission removed the weights in a hope to spur innovation and interest. Then thanks to George Luce and Matt Arlt with there' wedgie' lightweight boats the class took off and grew to the most exciting class in the Mod Division. Just saying.
                          Matt, Perhaps they added weight to make the class safer...just like adding the tuck rule in JH...

Comment

Working...
                          X