Worlds Fastest Outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worlds Fastest Outboard

Anyone remember this one? Boat by Karleson, Engine by Evinrude, Mach One propellers, Driver was Bob Wartinger. 178 MPH!!!
    Attached Files

Is it just me or does that engine look kicked under a ton?

Jake B.
    Jake

Comment

You are right Jake. As deep as it is, I assume that it ran on the sponson caps and propshaft, like an inboard. At that speed I dont think I would want to fly the nose

Also notice the lack of a skeg, The rudder is not there but I think I see the bracket. Skegs have been known to fail and at 150+++ you dont want that

The drag racers that use our boats lock the engine down and steer by rudder.
      " It's a sad day when you've outgrown everything"
      Art Pugh

Comment

I watched that record set in person

****ED impressive it was!

Comment

That rig looks a lot like the one a buddy of mine drove (George Andrews) in 1984 when he set the record at 157.4mph prior to losing his life on a subsequent run.

Georges rig ran an O'Dea Merc and was a kneeler if I remember correctly.

Comment

Remember that Bob?? Cool looking rig for sure.

From what I remember, George was sitting in the boat when he came up here to Welland, but kneeling when he was in Moorehaven.

I have some pics of when he was up here.

Remember running against him in St. Timothee'?? Fast 700 !!

Comment

I remember racing against him in St.Tim, when he won I remember him going to the winners circle and in his Grizzly adams style gave a big bear hug to the regatta queen. I thought the gal was going to pass out. Every time I drive past the little restaurant in St.Tim I chuckle remembering George trying to figure out what was what on the French menu and then giving a loud "Oh Yeah" when he picked something thathe liked. He ate all his meals that weekend because as he said he understood the menu!

Comment

the reason the motor is kicked in a ton is b/c with the motor kicked in it raises the back of the boat out of the water making it able to only ride on the motor. therefore less surfase drag. Dad told me that years ago. its the same reason when looking at old pictures of the spitfire boats.
                Youngest Member of the Flyer Raceboat Gang

Comment

Close

Very close! According to Bob Wartinger, the boat was designed to run on a pocket of air in the front so the sponsons actually were not supposed to even touch the water at top speed and the back of the boat was supposed to be out of the water.

Bob told me that when the sponsons did touch at high speed, that it was pretty scarey sometimes.

Comment

WOW!

Originally posted by sam
                    Like this:

Made of unobtanium (or at least titanium!) and the size of beach balls!

I wonder if, while he was making that run, he knew??? (I'd bet that was a smoooth ride.)

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

A freaking balancing act!

Makes sense about lifting the rear of the boat. The more you kick it in, the smaller component of force you have actually acting forwards. Wonder mow much that boat weighs? Any have a guess?
                      Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Sherlock
                        What a shot!

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

The most exciting ride of my life
                          The skeg was cut off and a rudder blade was attached to the side of the gearcase. At speeds of 150+ with a single engine boat trying to walk sideways the skeg was likely to break off.
                          Picture by: George Andrews
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Sherlock; 01-17-2004, 07:06 AM.

Comment

i talked to ed about that world record ..and did ya know they actually went faster first fewe times on the water than the record ..go figure ...

Comment

sweet pics.

Cheney, do you have any pics of your kilo run that we could see?

Thanks

Mike
                              Sattler Racing R-15
                              350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
                              TEAM VRP
                              The Original "Lunatic Fringe"

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

Working...
                              X