New Boats for 2014!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Boats for 2014!

Since i got into boat racing, the new boat threads have always been something ive followed, and just got so hyped up, i couldnt wait for the next one!
    Below is a photo of my not so new, 30 year old, Stippich A runabout, we completly redesigned the top, and hopefully it will be successful in B runabout, haven't wieghed it yet, but a rough estimate would be 70Ibs.
    Any other new rigs?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Apachemax; 10-13-2013, 10:08 AM.

rig

Nice looking restore, going au naturale or paint wood combo?. Pretty fancy support! Is that a 50's vintage AU against the wall?
    "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
    No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Looks awesome!!

Mike

Comment

That looks like a mid 70's boat with the wide bow. Carl started to narrow them up towards the end.

John Ramma would know for sure.

What, no fabric on the deck? You need to bleach the plywood for the full Stippich effect. Do you have the birds for the deck guides?

Tim
        Tim Weber

Comment

Very nice.
          Bob

Comment

The Stippich baots I remember from the 70's didn't have the sides tumble that much. Is that a change you made or original?

John

Comment

Originally posted by rumleyfips View Post
              The Stippich baots I remember from the 70's didn't have the sides tumble that much. Is that a change you made or original?

John
              This is John Rammas old boat, 5W was the number. I have an old picture of it before we redesigned the top. The boat is in pretty fair condition, so we decided to reshape the top and straighten out the bottom and hopefully we'll have a nice boat to race.

Comment

Meanwhile, in the Northwest

Things are looking a little Fishy at Anarchy Boat Works. Can you say 26 lb bottom?

ANARCHY BOAT WORKS:

A Lack of Institutional Control.
                Attached Files
                www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

Comment

Originally posted by sponsonhead View Post
                  Things are looking a little Fishy at Anarchy Boat Works. Can you say 26 lb bottom?

ANARCHY BOAT WORKS:

About time!
                  http://vitalire.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sponsonhead View Post

ANARCHY BOAT WORKS:

Looks good. I can't remember what mine weighed. I look forward to seeing your progress.
                    Looks like I will be working at Henderson hydroplanes again this winter on some inboards. Matt A

Comment

Famous Stippich

Originally posted by Apachemax View Post
                      Since i got into boat racing, the new boat threads have always been something ive followed, and just got so hyped up, i couldnt wait for the next one!
                      Below is a photo of my not so new, 30 year old, Stippich A runabout, we completly redesigned the top, and hopefully it will be successful in B runabout, haven't wieghed it yet, but a rough estimate would be 70Ibs.
                      Any other new rigs?
                      Wow... The famous Stippich name and runabouts go back a long way in the famous legends of Stock Outboard racing.
                      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

New Build

Although not technically a 2014 build (I finished in AUG this year), thought I'd pass along photos/tips of my CSH Hemp build for other new garage builders (I am totally a novice boat builder). I chose to reinforce some key parts with carbon fiber - used 5.9oz weave and vacuum bagged the cockpit girders (both outside and inside girders - inside 45 degree weave offset), airtrap girders (outside of girders only), and afterplane step (inside only - vacuum bagged one layer and then laminated 90 degree offset pieces between stringers once step mounted/epoxied to stringers). Used a cheap vacuum pump from Harbor Freight and 20mil vinyl from a local fabric store for the bag to keep prices down. Vinyl held vacuum nicely (with tacky tape) and released from cured CF well. Vacuum bagging did a great job of bonding CF to Okoume - you can see how thin the CF is and epoxy saturated into first veneer of plywood; I also used a veneer roller to get out all air bubbles when applying vacuum. I added CF-enforced gussets to frames 1-3 for added strength (pic, used parts cut out from inner cockpit girder) and used CF tape for additional bond to cockpit girder. Also added some reinforcement to outside (right) sponson and laminated some CF in rear outside (right) chine for strength. I found using a large double bastard file (pic) works wonders for shaping sponson stringers - also made a 48"x4" sanding block w/80 grit to ensure hull stringers were flat prior to attaching bottom pieces. I added sponson frame tip to ensure my tips are legal 1" radius. I made a composite cockpit floor with structural foam (see pic) laminated between okoume - top okoume 90 degree offset and scarf jointed in (noticed I left in the cross members for frames 1-3, had to mill off 6mm on underside before attaching bottom to allow cockpit floor piece to slide in); this provides a little extra strength and also gives me something to brace my feet against. I just clear coated the boat - only able to take out twice in SEP (see pic 07 - boat wet from rain shower), looking forward to tweaking the new motor in 14 to get it competitive. Really appreciate all the assist I got from myriad SOA members out here in Region 10 as I tackled this build!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Great looking boat!! Nice job!!

Mike

Comment

Meanwhile, at Anarchy Boat Works......

Bottom number 2 is out of the mold and looking good. More work this weekend!

ANARCHY BOAT WORKS:

Because Revolution is never enough.
                            Attached Files
                            www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

Comment

Originally posted by Shane_B View Post
                              Although not technically a 2014 build (I finished in AUG this year), thought I'd pass along photos/tips of my CSH Hemp build for other new garage builders (I am totally a novice boat builder). I chose to reinforce some key parts with carbon fiber - used 5.9oz weave and vacuum bagged the cockpit girders (both outside and inside girders - inside 45 degree weave offset), airtrap girders (outside of girders only), and afterplane step (inside only - vacuum bagged one layer and then laminated 90 degree offset pieces between stringers once step mounted/epoxied to stringers). Used a cheap vacuum pump from Harbor Freight and 20mil vinyl from a local fabric store for the bag to keep prices down. Vinyl held vacuum nicely (with tacky tape) and released from cured CF well. Vacuum bagging did a great job of bonding CF to Okoume - you can see how thin the CF is and epoxy saturated into first veneer of plywood; I also used a veneer roller to get out all air bubbles when applying vacuum. I added CF-enforced gussets to frames 1-3 for added strength (pic, used parts cut out from inner cockpit girder) and used CF tape for additional bond to cockpit girder. Also added some reinforcement to outside (right) sponson and laminated some CF in rear outside (right) chine for strength. I found using a large double bastard file (pic) works wonders for shaping sponson stringers - also made a 48"x4" sanding block w/80 grit to ensure hull stringers were flat prior to attaching bottom pieces. I added sponson frame tip to ensure my tips are legal 1" radius. I made a composite cockpit floor with structural foam (see pic) laminated between okoume - top okoume 90 degree offset and scarf jointed in (noticed I left in the cross members for frames 1-3, had to mill off 6mm on underside before attaching bottom to allow cockpit floor piece to slide in); this provides a little extra strength and also gives me something to brace my feet against. I just clear coated the boat - only able to take out twice in SEP (see pic 07 - boat wet from rain shower), looking forward to tweaking the new motor in 14 to get it competitive. Really appreciate all the assist I got from myriad SOA members out here in Region 10 as I tackled this build!
                              NICE JOB. I learned something from you about a Cheap way to Vacuum Bab. HOW long did it take you to get the Kit from HEMP.
                              bill b

Comment

Working...
                              X