X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Photos (50's)

Hey guys, I came across this site looking up info about my grandfather, Ralph Scott, who raced in the 40's and 50's, and just thought I would share some of these old photos with you guys.

If you guys like older photos like this I'll upload the rest of what I have!
    Last edited by makuserusukotto; 08-15-2013, 11:01 AM.

Re: Vintage Photos (50's)

Scott

These are great must have been NOA keep them coming and some info if you have it

Comment

Fixed the original post, and here's some articles!

Comment

And some more.

Comment

Old photos

These photos are really great. I was a teenager back in the 50's and remember going to the Top O with my family to watch the race from Devils Elbow on the Crooked River. Also one of the guys who worked for my dad was a hydro racer in south Florida then and I used to go to the races with him. Thanks for posting.

Bob

Comment

Cool pics

Kinda is like a trip into 'The Twilight Zone"............great ole stuff!

Comment

20h

Note the Quincy open ex. on the 20H's and KG's this was used before the Stacks came out, I have a few of them. How about the pic's of Kingston Tn where the APBA Pro Nat's were held this year. Kingston has a long History of boat racing.. You need to put these on Boat racing facts in history so they will be saved

Comment

pictures

Would love to see more pictures. I was at the Breman Indiana race. The lake is only about 20 miles from where i live. The name of the lake is lake of the woods.

Comment

racing in the 50's

Those are great pics from a great time to race. I noticed long traps with depth at the rear in 1954 photo, looks like they were on to something. The earliest races I recall watching was in 1955 at the
                  Pelican Harbor Marina in Biscayne Bay, North Miami a salt water race. Top racers then were Skip Ritter, Don Baldicini. A few years later in 1958 at the Miami Yacht Club in Miami on Biscayne Bay
                  (another salt water race). Including the racers above I met Hal Kelly and bought a set of Wetback plans. I constructed that boat in 1970 after college and raced in 25SSH and 20SSH in REGION 5
                  in the 1970's. The races in the 50's were really very popular, lots of racers.
                  Last edited by ZUL8TR; 08-16-2013, 10:10 AM. Reason: add info on the 1950's
                  "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Awesome

Comment

Runabouts have sure come a long way since those days. Fabulous pictures from the heydays of boat racing. I got a chance to watch a race in the early 50's in Mystic Ct when I was about ten. About all I remember is how I couldn't wait to see those green tankers run.
                      kk

Comment

My Uncle Andrew Black was Ralph's pitman during this time period. I think he owned one of the motors that Ralph raced also. A lot of races were at Cairo Il and we lived in La Center Ky. about 25 miles away so I got to go to several races, I was about 9 or 10 years old at the time.

Larry Mac

Comment

Remember both Ralph Scott & Hunter Byrnes. Hunter was a master engine builder & a great innovatator in the A & B Mod classes all the way into the 70`s He supplied many a driver with winning engines. As I remember John Dortch & Charley Holman won many races with his engines. Wish I could get Charley to post he has many stories about Hunter.
                          Art K

Comment

Working...
                          X