Top 10 reasons why you didn't win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 10 reasons why you didn't win

OK, time to take a break about class restructuring, testing, and parity. I would like to know the main reason why you didn't place 1st in a race, and not because of boat set up, or engine class, but the funniest reason you can think of either because it happened to you personally or you saw it.

Examples:

I didn't bribe the scorer with the right amount of snacks on the judges stand, and they did SEE that I jumped the gun by 15 seconds. I was trying to cross the line before they stated the camera so I could dispute it later!

I forgot to remove the weight from the boat, and well I was 40 lbs over.

I was waiting for a red flag, and got a blue and white instead.

I went out and raced my ASH with the CSH and got lapped!

This is meant to be more of a humour approach, so please keep it light!

I am putting together a list for an award banquet.

Thanks!
    When it comes to boat racing and the wife, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission, and of course I spent a number of nights sleeping on the couch!

I went around 2 laps and slowed down,I thought I went around 3 times. WILD BILL

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill 96D View Post
      I went around 2 laps and slowed down,I thought I went around 3 times. WILD BILL
      I have done that three times now..Must be a age thing
      Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Ok has anyone done this. I came out of the first turn and was in the lead and ripping down to the second turn when something did not look right.. I relized I had lined up on the exit pin for the second turn. Had to slow down and circle all the bouys and went from 1st to last..Everyone had a good laugh when I came in.. I was not impressed but its funny now

Comment

• Smitty
          Smitty commented
          Editing a comment
          Happened to me, first heat of BSH at Vasa Park, Lake Sammamish, Reg. 10, in 1966. Came out of the first turn in 2nd, a little behind Wartinger. I was coming up on him to pass (this was Bob's first year in BSH, and it wasn't long before he was doing all the passing). Suddenly Bob looked madly around and then made a hard right correction. Yep, he had been headed for the center bouy of the second turn, and I was following him, with no awareness of the actual racecourse.. By the time I worked this out we were most of the way down the backstretch and it was too late for me to cross in front of the field as Bob had, so had to stay out of the way until they all went by. DANG!!!

It happened that Unlimited driver Bill Brow ("the world's fastest milkman&quot was our family milkman, so I made a point of being on hand when he made his regular stop. I asked, "Did you ever head for the wrong bouy . . ??"; He replied, "Who hasn't?!!"

(WHY does this site mess up quotation marks?}
          Last edited by Smitty; 09-09-2017, 09:43 AM.

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
        Ok has anyone done this. I came out of the first turn and was in the lead and ripping down to the second turn when something did not look right.. I relized I had lined up on the exit pin for the second turn. Had to slow down and circle all the bouys and went from 1st to last..Everyone had a good laugh when I came in.. I was not impressed but its funny now
        You must be a lot older than me. WILD BILL

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill 96D View Post
          You must be a lot older than me. WILD BILL
          Probably! Is you hair all grey?

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
            Probably! Is you hair all grey?
            What hair ?

Comment

It was the first year I races OSY so we were running every heat of every class we could - OSY, CSH, CMOD, etc - just to get boat time. We all knew with myself in an Altralight we were very light. Discussing this project with all the people in the know, they all told us to be very, very careful, so we always tucked the motor extra (1" over 12") and I carried a steal slab right in front of the steering hub.

We were racing at Silver Lake, Everett, where there we 20-22 or so CSH's so we had eliminations. I was out there testing a new setup, staying to the outside and out of the way, ended up getting a top 6 or something, so we had to show up to the scales after our heat. Everyone knew I was way light, but we had never put the boat/motor/driver on the scales. Heading into inspection was a convenient way to solve our mystery.

We tossed the boat up on the scales and I climbed in with a big smile and everyone watching. We watched the inspector closely looking at the scale, and the next thing we heard surprised us all; "legal!" he says excitingly. We didn't know what to make of it, so I started to get out of the boat, but as soon as I had one foot on the ground, my teammate graced the inspection area with a resounding "bull-sh*t!" The inspector looked up to see us all laughing and promptly told me to get back in the boat. Yep, I was light. Exactly 99.5lbs light for the 440lbs CSH minimum limit. The inspector had been watching the decimals bounce up and down and forgot to look for the "4" instead of the "3".

Needless to say, I was disqualified, but at least we knew how much is all weighed now…
              http://vitalire.com/

Comment

Not only did I not win which is not surprising, heck I didn't even make it out on the course.... I left the skeg protector on.
                Last edited by mdaspit; 01-08-2013, 07:08 AM.

Comment

OOPS-- but true

I put a 89 jet in the carb instead of 68. slowed the kid down ALOT..

Comment

1. Ran out of gas on the back straight of the last lap.

2. Broke a crank off right above the top bearing cap.. OMC flywheel on a
                    Hot Rod.. Also sheared off the ignition system and into the water it all went.
                    Thought I had run out of gas until I looked back... This was at Cedar Rapids, Iowa
                    at an ODA race about 1993. Pepsi was our sponsor,, a twelve pack per class entered.
                    Was not a profitable week-end. But just a beautiful drive from McPherson, Kansas.

Comment

Just taking off from the Pitts for a heat in CMH, I ran into a wake hole that submarined my Oconner boat. Oconner boats have a sealed cockpit, and it was half full of water now. I eventually got it on plane, but the handling was somewhat different now. When I came into the turns the water would slosh to the outside, and if I backed off on the throttle the sponsons dove down. It was a wild ride. I got beat by a 340# OSY boat that heat...
                      Maroney Racing

Comment

forgot to put the cap on the 102 tight, out of gas, but that never happens to a guy that has a yamoto
                        Jeff

Comment

How About...

All other boats were faster?

Comment

I jumped 11 wakes in the 1st turn
                            Team Tower

Comment

Working...
                            X