No announcement yet.

Top 10 reasons why you didn't win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I for got to tighten the water inlet on the back of the yamato 80 tower and lost it during a race and overheated.

My dad has a problem remembering to open the vent on his 102 gas cap. It happened like 5 times in one season.

Having a very fast setup in my first year in CSH which was my 3rd racing season overall which lead to me going out of my boat a few times that year. In-experience was the cause of not finishing 1st.

The best was at my first nationals. In 25ssr finals I was charging past Lyons and catching up to davids and in the 2nd lap turn 2 I blew a hole in the bottom of my boat. Then in the CSR finals my choke lever got pulled in the pits and I didn't know and the motor ran like crap the whole race.
    Last edited by wagner-racing16-s; 01-09-2013, 08:58 AM.
    MJR Composites racing...cleveland division

Comment

At Silver Lake NY , in the mid 70's, I passed McNeil and came out of the first turn out front. Then my powerhead (KG4) fell off. I grabbed the throttle cable and pull it back into the boat. Steve Nourey was behind me and laughed so hard he let go of the throttle and quit too.

Back on shore I saw the cable had pulled out of the throttle. My reflexes were probably better 40 years ago.

John McManus

Comment

I set up my closed course boat to run CMR with a Mercury that I was working on. I had emailed registration a few days prior to the race to inquire as to how many CSR's had registered. I was told I would make 3 if I registered, so I did. I would run my marathon boat, which didn't turn worth a ****, with the Yamato. I showed up Friday afternoon, no other CSR's so I went ahead and rigged the boat. Sat morning there were 6 or 7 of us, so since I had already rigged it I decided I would run it anyway and make sure I kept everyone else in front of me so I wouldn't hit any one when the flippin' thing hooked in a corner with no warning. I didn't bother putting in the 38lbs to make minimum weight since I had no chance. Everyone else jumped, BOTH HEATS! I even spun it once. Man did they have fun with me at the drivers meeting Sunday. BTW that boat helped heat the shop this winter, now I don't have to drive the miserable thing anymore and didn't wish it on anyone else. I have a new marathon boat, Darrell's latest design, and it drives a whole lot better.

My other story happened this past summer, I just started running ASR and have done fairly well where in the past I have generally been a back marker in CSR and CMR and follow other boats thru the turns. One heat I got to the first turn first and panicked, what the hell do I do now, I blew the whole turn and Tony Lombardo went on by.
        kk

Comment

Sounds Familiar

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
          Ok has anyone done this. I came out of the first turn and was in the lead and ripping down to the second turn when something did not look right.. I relized I had lined up on the exit pin for the second turn. Had to slow down and circle all the bouys and went from 1st to last..Everyone had a good laugh when I came in.. I was not impressed but its funny now
          Gee, that one sounds pretty familiar..................................
          Dave Mason
          Just A Boat Racer

Comment

I forgot to take the weight out of the boat so I was 30 pounds over... Oh, wait. That was just me...
            Silas Jordan
            Windham, Maine
            CSR 53A (2B till the boat gets redone)
            Sigma Nu, IN-549

Comment

I was racing in Grass lake one year in CSH and got a good start.Went in the first turn and the engine died.When i got back to the pits both spark plug wires fell off the plugs Another time getting ready for a heat ithe engine would not fire on the cart i swear i pulled it 10,000 times then remembered i forgot to pull the rag out of the carb.LOL What a dumb ass
              Bob

Comment

This is easy

1) my stupid crew chief left the restrictor plate in
                2) my stupid crew chief left the weight in
                3) my stupid crew chief put the wrong prop on
                4) my stupid crew chief forgot to put gas in the boat
                5) ....the list is endless, if there is a way to mess up a boat race this crew chief has tried it, probably multiple times. I feel sorry for you guys without a crew chief, it must suk not to have someone to blame
                Moby Grape Racing
                "Fast Boats Driven Hard"

Comment

Ski Racing Is Cool!

1. Skier fell. (Driver says this)

2. Observer didn't pay attention. (Skier says this)

3. Driver wouldn't slow down when I told him to. (Observer says this)

See why Ski Racing is cool...Nobody's fault they lost!

How about: Fell out of the boat?

Comment

Came back to shore on a rope when people would ask what happened I would say "my ground wire came off" and hand them the wire. After careful examination they would suddenly realize, "There's a chunk of block hooked to this"

Comment

Many years ago at the AOF Nationals when the C class were all Mercs, we had a pretty good one and expected to do well. Kevin was running the C class Brian was in D and I was in E. I was checking over things before Kevin went out and pulled off a spark plug boot and the cap on the plug was rusty. So I cleaned up all the plugs and sprayed on some WD-40. Kevin went out and the motor started laying down and he finished probably last(to long ago to remember). When he came in a plug wire had come off with all my cleaning and spraying. That was a case if it ain't broke don't fix it. I believe this was also the year I had E hydro wrapped up and the motor quite on the last corner of the last lap. They towed me in and I put a rope on it and it started on the first pull, I never did know what happened to make it die.

Larry McAfee

Comment

Ran out of gas (twice).
                        Came in early (once).
                        Forgot to secure battery.
                        Forgot key in prop but hey the nut held it for 2 laps.
                        I did win 1 race starting last when the other 5 boats all followed the leader to the exit pin of turn 2 dad was still mad i blew the start.

Comment

so we were having a few red cups at devels lake back in the day after racing and Schwartz shows up ready to race the next day, well he was about 10 hours late, so what the hell lets load up and go to Lodi Ca. its only 10 more hours !!!

Comment

One From This Last Seasons Nat's

It was in Centrallia IL, the Long Course nationals. Some may go for highpoints, but to me, the Nationals is the one I want, the one desire all season, win nationals !!!

It was in E Runabout. We had it dialed in fairly decent. It was a top runner and could hang with anyone in the country. The speed is there, I just need to drive it. Milling, I am out there doing my own thing, keeping tabs on the ones I need to, and trying to set myself up for the perfect start. Well I managed to get in lane 2, had an eye on those around me and when I looked up, oh CRAP !!! We are all late, except one boat. I nailed it and never looked back, I managed to catch the one boat before the first turn and pass, and proceeded to pull away from the pack. Clean water really does add a MPH or two !! I lead every lap, and going into the last turn before the start/finish line I had a big grin on my face, as we had this wrapped up a heat win at the biggest baddest race of the season ! I went into the turn wide open as was the norm at this race course. At the apex of the corner I suddenly swapped ends..... and went backwards as fast as i was going forward briefly ! I jumped to the bow to try and keep the engine dry. It settled down and shut off without getting any water, thankfully. My fierce competitor in second place went by me with that look... ya, that look. Well after the field passed me by and I had a moment to reflect (it took me a few minutes to stop mentally cussing) I looked down in the water and something was floating half under the boat. I reached down and it was a friggin bush !!!! The lake was down as is the norm during this draught. Well, the shoreline had a few dried up plants and this dang bush must have died, and fell into the water and somehow got in my path around the last turn. It was just under the water. I proceeded to point it out to the patrol boat in what I am sure was a friendly manner including some hand directions as to where the rest of the hit bush was floating. Just goes to show you, it takes more than skill to win a race. Me ? I will take luck over skill any day of the week.
                            Dave Mason
                            Just A Boat Racer

Comment

This message is for Dave M.. A 2-bladed prop in first place is better
                              than a 3 in the bush.. LOL.. Sorry,, I hope you find the humor in this..

Comment

At the nats in Dayton one year I was determined to steal the start flyin high wide and handsome, so I did all my milling deep at the far end beyond the second turn, forgetting all about the rule that says we had to "mark up" at the entrance bouy of that turn after the one minute gun...got dsq'd even before the start. Did not matter anyway...barrel rolled at the end of the backstretch on the last lap...in a non legal boat... yep...didn't win THAT one...

Comment

Working...
                                X