My Dad, Dick Rees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Dad, Dick Rees

Some of you knew my Dad, Dick Rees. And some of you not only knew him, but also raced with him in Stock Outboard runabout and hydro.

Dad always had one project or another in progress. That's just the way he was - always busy building something or fixing something. He would work on almost anything. Additionally, he has built many race boats over the last 60+ years. He built his first race boat when I was a baby. Today I'm 64. He has even built a number of racing boats including classic reproductions since he retired from racing over 20 years ago. As a matter of fact, 2 years ago at 82 years young, he built himself a picklefork hydro to run his recently acquired KG-4H. He was incredible.

Early yesterday afternoon while working on a new project, Dad experienced a brain aneurysm and was air lifted to Lehigh Valley Hospital in Allentown, PA. They have an amazing staff at Lehigh. But as skilled as they are, there was sadly nothing that they could do to help my Dad. The damage was simply too great. Dad peacefully passed this morning into the loving arms of God. I'm going to miss him.

Schumacher & Benner Funeral Home
    359 King Street
    Pottstown, PA 19464

Friday, December 7th.
    Viewing: 10:00 am -11:00 am.
    Service: 11:00 am.
    Burial following service.

Barry
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Heliarc; 12-05-2012, 10:21 PM.

My Condolences

I always remember your dad wearing his waders all the time.......he was one cool cat and always kept Big Don Pontius on his toes!!

He always looked half his age!! Must have been all the racing that kept him young.

Matt D'Agostino

Comment

Sorry for your loss !

I remember your Dad as one of the Top drivers in CSR & DSR when i started racing in 1971. Always a tough competitor and a gentleman. Watched many good races of the 80-P . Tim Sidor

Comment

Dick Rees

I knew and raced against Dick for many years. He built me one of the Best CSR I every had. I am sad to lose a fine racer and friend. I will shall say a prayer for Dick.
        My condolences to Olga and Berry. I am sorry for your loss.

The Tower Family
        Jim, Judy, PJ and Jim Jr.

Comment

Barry Im so sorry to hear about your Dad he was a great guy and Im proud that I was friends with him. May he rest in piece and Im sure he is up on Lake Paradise now with with all his old friends.
          Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

Dick Rees

Our condolences to Olga and Berry. Dick was one of the first people I got to know in racing and remained one of the finest people I've known. Dick was a good and clean driver who built quality equipment and just an all-aroung fine gentleman. He'll be missed.
            Again, condolences to Olga and Berry.
            From Phil Doerle, Ray Hastings and R C Hawie
            Last edited by PopPop; 12-04-2012, 05:12 PM.
            !"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Comment

Sorry for the loss of your Dad Barry, God Bless
              Team Tower

Comment

I Rember His Smile

Originally posted by Matt Dagostino View Post
                I always remember your dad wearing his waders all the time.......he was one cool cat and always kept Big Don Pontius on his toes!!

He always looked half his age!! Must have been all the racing that kept him young.

Matt D'Agostino
                It has been a long time since I saw Dick, but I remember his smile. I'd forgotten the waders, but remember them now...I recall him as an honest competitor and clean driver. He was always friendly to me.....I just have this image of him, standing in the water (Yes, in waders) watching the races and smiling...enjoying Boat Racing and life.

Sorry for your loss, Barry.

Comment

Sorry for your loss a truely great craftsman he will be missed
                  PJ
                  118-P
                  If your not fast, your food
                  TEAM TOWER
                  RUNABOUT DIVISION
                  Suck it up buddy its only three laps (John Runne)

Comment

The 'Screamin Deamon' When I was ten heroes didn't come any better than him. We'll miss him too Barry. Shanon

Comment

I remember, when I was a kid, asking my father why Don Pontius and Dick Rees always beat him in CU. The answer "They were the best". He was a great boat racer and one of the nicest people I've ever known. Lots of great memories. Race in peace, Dick.
                      Our condolences to Olga and Barry.
                      John Runne
                      2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

Dick may you rest in peace

I purchase a DU boat from Dick when living in Beach Haven, N.J. in 1958.He was a great guy. Moved to california n 1966 and lost contact with most of back east friends. Larry Cranmer

Comment

Thank you for all the kind words, everyone.

Attached Files

Comment

To the Rees family I am very sorry for your loss.I never had the privilege to race with your dad,but had the privilege to know him. Tom Nuccio

Comment

Retired boat racers sometimes never really retire.

These pics of Dad were taken in August 2010 at an undisclosed location friendly to 'green tanks', gold colored engines, and former racers that really don't know how to completely retire.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X