"new" mirage tomcat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "new" mirage tomcat

I bought this boat from a friend for $100. It is a 12' mini mirage tomcat. I am in need of any help i can get to rig this boat for just a toy, not to race. The boat is in excellent shape and has never been rigged. I would like to rig it to "look" like a racer but i just want it for fun.

I would like to rig it with a 44xs and pretty much all new rigging and hardware.

right now it is just a bare hull. the seat and fairing arent even attached so i need everything including a trailer.
    Attached Files

Be careful its a full length tunnel hull which means it will blow over given enough speed and air under the hull.
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

yeah i know. Thats kinda why i am asking for advice. I want a safe setup.

Comment

Safe?

That's kind of a weighted question. I don't think I would ever climb into something like that with out any of my safety gear. Even in a bass boat that can do more than 60mph, I would still want my safety gear and a helmet.

Like HRTV says, "... it will blow over given enough speed and air under the hull."

Person could spin out and roll it turning over with a wake from a pleasure boat.

In Washington State, anyone boat over 10hp or 14' must be licensed. I'm not too sure what the regs are in your area.

Be careful wouldn't want you to get hurt.
        Blue Thunder 55U - Sharky 97R
        sigpic

Comment

I have an 18' tunnel v with a 260 that i take out pretty regular so i'm familiar with speed on the water and how unpredictable everything is. That is why i came to this site so that i can try to have this boat as safe as possible. A Scream and Fly member told me to come to this site and i would get all the help i needed. I have no intentions of running the boat without any safety gear but i have to get the boat rigged and in the water before i have to worry about that.

It is my understanding that they raced these at well over 70mph so i was just going to set it up to run in the 60's so i can stay dry.

Comment

A good D-Stock wheel should get you there pretty easily. I'm hoping one of the DSH guys will chime in with some prop dimensions. Then you can change the setup to where you like your boat to ride.

Do you know the stats of your boat? (I.E. tunnel width, weight, length, lift-point)
            Blue Thunder 55U - Sharky 97R
            sigpic

Comment

You will need a trim of some type on it. Most of these ran the 45ss OMC. use a short tower. I don't know if you will find a prop for this. It would like a bigger diameter and not a lot of pitch. Don't think anyone uses anything like that.
              I know a couple of MOD C guys had there rigs running around 65 with these. Think they we using Yamaha's but can't really remember that far back. They used standard gear cases with nose cones and shaped them.

Comment

Tilt & Trim

You will want a trim & tilt system on that, especially with a 44XS. I don't think you will achieve your desired speed without it. Maybe, but it will be tough. There is not a lot of punch with a 44XS set up compared to some of the other OPC stuff. Gear ratios.

Looks like it is going to be fun, hope you get it all ironed out.

Oh, remember, a 44XS is direct drive with no shifting gearcase if you are putting it on in racing format. Means no reverse either, so just something to think about.
                Dave Mason
                Just A Boat Racer

Comment

my main reason for wanting the 44xs is strickly looks. I'm not worried about the reverse. This is not something that i will be using alot. I want to turn it into more of a head turner than a racer.

Comment

Check out WinTec they sell all the hardware and rigging you will need from the steering shaft/bearings, to the pulleys and hot foot. As some have told you a trim system will be a definate boost. You should probably talk to Dave Losvar out at SeaWay Marine for a trim ram system. Good luck! Boat looks good.
                    444-B now 4-F
                    Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

I really want to find a motor before i do any rigging. I just hope i can find a good complete running 44xs but so far i havent run across much.

Comment

44xs

I know Larry Gotchaulk has one for sale. It is a top performer as well. He is on this forrum. If you need his contact info let me know. Larry's stuff is prolly some of the cleanest and best looking out there, definately show quality.
                        Dave Mason
                        Just A Boat Racer

Comment

This boat was built for the Sport C class. A 40hp tohatsu is the motor it is raced with and should get you to 50+mph. I do know there were some guys that tried the sst 45 motor on this boat and with the "S" bottom it was very quick but blew over easily. Definitely a cool boat you have there!
                          www.opc-racing.com

Comment

If I were you I'd put the tohatsu on it, what it was made for. But if you are dead set on getting a 44xs, there is a DSH rig for sale here with a 44xs, hes willing to separate the motor.
                            Silas Jordan
                            Windham, Maine
                            CSR 53A (2B till the boat gets redone)
                            Sigma Nu, IN-549

Comment

I just bought a 40hp nissan (Tohatsu), 2 cylinder with tons of punch... they had a sweet sport gear foot you could get for them as well, lots of props and parts available.

Comment

Working...
                              X