Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woolworth Trophy

Great Memories Dan-
    I didn't want to hi-jack Dick O'Deas thread....!
    It is interesting to hear about the Woolworth Trophy once again. The trophy was started some time in the 1920's by the F.W. Woolworth family who had a summer camp on a lake in Winthrop, Maine. The basic rules where an engine displacement of not more than 40 cu. in. with a 1 heat winner take all format. I believe that you had to actually win the race either three or maybe five times in order to retire the silver trophy. Who knows what the insurance people would think of this race, but it created a lot of interest. In the 60's there were your usual DU or DSH rigs... along with B and C class boats. Mixed it were the people who were gunning for the cup- the alkies! They had various PRO hydros and even an occasional 700ccR. The water conditions could get very nasty too, but the race went on anyway!
    The last winners "Cup" was given to Stan Fitts and is now in the APBA museum in Detriot.

I realize this is a very old post but wanted to add some additional info regarding the Woolworth trophy. To the best of my recollection, the race was held on Lake Maranacook (sp?) in Winthrop, Maine as Peter mentioned. It was sponsored by the Maine Outboard racing Association prior to disbanding in the late 1950's. It was then picked up by the Westbrook Outboard Racing Association. As mentioned, outboard racers from all over the north eastern US ( and some from even further away) showed up to compete in this race. It was a one heat, five lap race with no hull or weight restriction. The only restriction as mentioned was that the engine could not exceed 40 C.I. . I recall seeing every stock, mod and pro engine of the day from four cylinders all the way down to a one cylinder alky on a O'Conner ASH. I can't recall if there was a restriction on the number of boats allowed to compete but it seems to me it was more than twelve. The winner had their name engraved on the trophy and was allowed to keep it for one year. It was awarded permanently to any driver winning it three times in any order. This finally occurred in the mid to late 1960's by John Bianchini from MA driving a stock DSH.

Comment

Working...
    X