No announcement yet.

Does Everyone Remember Bud Pinto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Scarlett;212092]Ok, everyone, thanks for your kind words and thougth on Bud. I have tweeked the essay a little to include some of your thought and ideas. I also put the picture of Bud and the Pinto in it. Now I need one or two more pics. Has anyone got a shot of Bud winning the Nats in 86? Pants down? How about one of hime in suspenders? Or one of Bud sitting around a campfire? Liz Bowman- go through your picture files and help me out here, will ya?

I don't know who would want it, but I may try to get it published somewheree. It tells the story of a real character. One or two more pictures woudl help all of the readers get to know Bud a little better.

Whe it is done, I'll get back to you all here with the final piece.

Thanks,
    I had a VCR tape recording at one time of the nationals when Bud won. The race was televised because it included a Merc Challenge race. I remember they interviewed Bud after his win and he was in tears. It was moving. I'll look for it but I think I've lost it. Maybe someone else has it. Frank

Comment

Thanks, Frank. Please find it. I'm sure it would be a hit here. And It might be a real opportunity to transform a simple, cute essay into a multimedia tribut to a really cool and unsung hero of boat racing.

Anybody else got anything? Suspenders and butt cheeks would go a long way to validating my verbal glimpses of Everybody's Uncle Bud...

Steve

Comment

He might have been a character but he was very ingenious also. Like the time he drove to the nationals with the ugliest camper you ever saw. However it had some unique Pinto sanitation devises installed. One was a funnel drilled in the floor in front of the drivers seat. He said we saved a lot of time by not having stop at rest areas. When he got back i asked how long was the trip he replied it took 2 cases and one six pack. Only Bud could come up with an idea like that

Comment

Is he in here anywhere? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dqIEiHZ0dk
          100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Look at the youtube in Steve's post.. Great footage of the Merc Challenge
            Series... Now 26 years old. I still have it and the Unlimited race on a VHS tape.
            I still watch it now and then..

Comment

Another.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pKa...layer_embedded

Anyone see Bud in it?
              Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 11-09-2012, 07:19 AM.
              100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Bud Pinto.JPG I found a picture of him running at the 86 Nationals. I will try to scan the picture and post.

Jim Petersen
                Last edited by jp183w; 01-30-2019, 12:09 PM.

Comment

So, it has been a while. But I saw this today and couldn't help but think of our hero, Bud Pinto. If he was still around, or if there was a Bud Pinto Museum, I would start a Go Fund Me to buy it for him. Seems like it could be a 21st Century version of the Budmobile. Right down to it being a little rough around the edges, and enough room on top for at least 2 runabouts.

Jet car, unfinished project car is Pinto Station Wagon w/ jet motor - $4995 (vermontville)

Vintage '78 Pinto Station wagon, has been converted to the "Jet Mobile". Unfinished project car, my husband passed away. The body has has "jet exhaust" looking fins adapted to the sides of this car. Much of the body work in done and near ready for paint. The interior was ready to have a dash panel of aviation controls put in for looks. ($800 more buys you over $1000 of these vintage controls, not included with this offer and sold seperately). The back end opens to show off the viper jet motor, from what I can tell on the data tag it's a P5-7, which he intended to do flame shows with. He bought this jet from the railroad, which used it to de ice the tracks. Had videos of the motor running. The man who worked with him on this project can possibly answer some of your questions abou this car. Will consider offers, and would consider selling the car separate from the motor. Call Five one seven, seven two six, zero zero two six, or email.

https://lansing.craigslist.org/cto/d...789099940.html

Steve
                  Last edited by Scarlett; 01-30-2019, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• Robert M Keogler
                    Robert M Keogler commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bud Pinto - Always Fond Memories

• spud62w
                    spud62w commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for bringing back lots of memories. Both with Bud And Warbie.
                    The pants was just down right funny no matter who you were.

We arrived at the pits in Indianhead, MD one Friday. There was no official testing. Here is Bud out running lap after lap. He was grinning ear to ear, as he tested. You could see this clearly, he was not wearing a helmet! I think he had some kind of life jacket. What a personality
                  David Weaver

Comment

Two additional thoughts on Bud Pinto. While people often think of Luce or Krier runabouts with the bulky but aerodynamic triangular front section, I always gave credit to Bud for this innovation he used on a J Runabout. (For Casey Minton?) The other was that Bud was an enigma to those of us from different regions who only saw him occasionally. There were 2 Buds and I never knew which one to expect. One Bud was the fuller-figured, beefy iron-worker Bud while the other was the svelte, right-on-weight racing Bud. He could change weight more than anyone I ever met and do it repeatedly, like 75-100 lbs. An amazing guy!

Comment

I have one and will try and find one day.. Bud when he won the Nationals in PA the year after Wakefield. He had made Pins with his picture on it and handed them out after he got past inspection. Hysterical
                      sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

Working...
                      X