Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can You Identify These Drivers from 1976?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can You Identify These Drivers from 1976?

Something John Runne wrote recently made me remember that I had a set of photos from one or two races in Florida from the mid-1970’s. Can you identify these drivers?

I don’t know all the information but here’ s what I remember:

When: These photos would have been taken sometime from January 1976 to March 1977 and most likely was either January to March 1976 or January to March 1977.

What: This Florida race was part of the “Grapefruit Circuit” for drivers who couldn’t get enough racing in up north during the regular season and needed the extra adrenaline rush during the winter months. This accounts for so many out-of-Florida boats in the pictures. So don’t limit your thinking just to Florida drivers.

Where: Somewhere in central Florida, probably a few hours drive in any direction from Orlando. It was on a lake -- does this help? :{)}

Who: I don’t know. I didn’t make notes on the photos so I don’t know who they are. Can you help?

Still to come: I have one dozen to three dozen additional photos that may be worth viewing. They need to be digitized first and in most cases I have only the negatives. They show boats from several classes including SO hydro, Alky hydro, and if I’m not mistaken even some Alky runabouts. There are many Florida boats in the shots. Some shots show the pits and shoreline so they’ll help identify the race site. I’ll work on these if there’s enough interest.

Note: Do not adjust your computer monitor. These photos are in black and white.
    Last edited by High Point; 08-05-2004, 11:31 AM.

65-j

Whats up Highpoint, The photo with 65-J is my boat with Lenny Falcone behind the wheel. Had to be 1976 Ocoee Fla. Later that day Lenny got into a crash and got many prop cuts on his leg. The only thing that saved him was his pants got tangled up with the prop and created a tourniquet. The second shot is John Wlodarski driving Lenny's 15SS Craig Craft kit built by Lenny himself. I think the Bezoats 2-US may be Shannon's boat but it's not Shannon driving. 46-N is going to drive me nuts all night, it's on the tip of my tongue. Maybe some beer will help! See Ya, John
    John Runne
    2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

John the 15SS that Lenny had must of been the one me and him built in my garage in the winter of 1976 actually that was the second one built that winter the first we built for my Dad for Christmas which he sold to Jennings the third one was mine which after I ran it for a couple years Tom Matlack bought it. The last one I built was winter of 1978 which was a modified pickle fork from the same Craig Craft plans which is still around and belongs to a guy in region 3
      Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

• MBell5127
        MBell5127 commented
        Editing a comment
        The boat that Lenny drove numbered 16 N was a pickle fork. Do you have any information on this boat and information on Lenny? I now own the boat. Thanks.

The 2-US driver reminds me of a skinny younger Dee Berghauer, especially with the snap on bubble helmet face shield. Also known for being Bezoat customers and heading to Florida during that time frame.

Steve
      64*W

Comment

The Mystery Continues

I love irony. What are the odds that 28 years ago I took a photo of John Runne’s hydro (65-J) in Florida, which was one of only four 8 x 10 prints that I made out of a total of 96 photos I shot that day? And just last month I told him I had very few photos from the ‘70’s and none from Region 3 because I had forgotten about this box in my basement?

To help solve the mystery I pulled out two references: the 1976 APBA Rule Book and Speed & Spray. In 1976, the reigning champions from the 1975 SO Nationals were:

ASH - Jeff Hutchins
        BSH - Fred Townsend
        CSH - Shanon Bowman
        25SSH - Jeff Hutchins

So if my photos were taken in January to March 1976, it’s plausible that 2-US was Jeff Hutchins.

Comparing my 2-US photo to Jeff’s 25SSH photo on page 135 of Speed & Spray the similarities are both hydros are Bezoats and both are using direct steering. The differences are the driver’s faceshield and the location of the gas tank. I see other minor differences but I have the advantage of looking at an 8 x 10 original of my photo. If Jeff got a new Bezoats for 1976 this would account for some of the differences.

George, are you saying this couldn't be Jan - March 1976 because the CraigCraft wasn't built yet?

Who became the ASH, BSH and 25SSH national champions at the 1976 SO Nationals?

Comment

Would have to be Jan to March 1977 as Lennys boat was built in Nov to Dec of 1976 unless Lenny borrowed a boat from someone with that number. Mine and Lennys were the same boats ASH/15SS and the one in the picture looks like it has a 25SS cant see real clearly. The BSH/25SS boats were almost I dentical and built from the same plans just moved the ribs some and made it 6 inches longer. The 15SS boat would of been a real handful with a 25SS on it.
          Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

Steve may be right about the Bezoats 2-US. It's definately not Hutch. Still can't figure out that runabout. Oh well, time to absorb more beer, I mean work on boats. John
            John Runne
            2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

Four More Shots

Same race, believed to be Jan - March 1977 in Ocoee Florida, Feel free to add details!

Photo 1 - F101 getting started. Look for 55V, 12W, 23F, and 92W in the background.

Photo 2 - F20. Would this be a Konig? What class?

Photo 3 - I think the boat number only reads "11". But I think I recognize this guy's profile, if not his ASH rig. Any guesses?

Photo 4 - Same "11" ASH as Photo 3 but this shows the shoreline and pits. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is Ocoee?

John - The 1976 APBA Rule Book I have has a complete roster of all members. Give me a hint on 46N. First syllable of last name? First letter of last name?
              Last edited by High Point; 08-04-2004, 08:06 AM.

Comment

I Think #3 Is Jeff Hutchins

Comment

46-N is not a 25ssr it looks like a 35ssr
                  mike ross

Comment

Photo #1 - Boat F101 - I'm pretty sure was Chuck Gurr of the then famous (but now defunct) Odessa Boys Race Team. He usually ran in the 700 or 1100 class. Even though that is a Konig on the back of the boat, he usually ran a "LOUD" highly tweeked Johnson 150 on it. I think the guy launching the boat on the right side (exhaust side) is Marshall Eldredge III. I wish I could see more clearly & closer the people & trailers on the beach, as I think I could identify most of them.

Photo #2 - Boat F20 - I'm pretty sure was the late Dub Parker from (I believe) Gadston Alabama. He ran a variety of Alky classes (hydro's & runabouts). I miss him, he was really a great guy!

If those photo's WERE taken here in Region 5 (Florida) back in the 70's, then I'd say, this is most probably Ocoee. Back then, the pits also ran (and heavily used by alot of racers) further south of where the current Judges Stand is (along the narrow piece of land parallel with the road). The only thing seperating the trailers & boats from the houses, was a narrow 2 lane road. I've been to every single S.O. & PRO race site in Fla. throughout all the 70's (& 80's,90's, 200x's), and I can't recall any other race site with houses that close to the pits.

Got any more 70's and/or 80's era photo's? Keep em coming!!!
                    G

Comment

Hutchburger!

Second set, #3 is deffinately Jeff Hutchins. He built the boat himself too. I would bet a beer that he's wearing a black wetsuit top...with the crotch strap flying. Duct tape on the helmet is a clue too.

Guy, dont tempt me to fire up the scanner, not till winter
                      " It's a sad day when you've outgrown everything"
                      Art Pugh

Comment

Phun with Photoshop

Capt Speed - These photos were DEFINITELY taken in Central Florida. I'm too young to be considered an "Old Geezer" but I can't remember whether it's 1976 or 1977. I lived in Orlando those two years while I went to college and, all joking aside, my memories from those two years sorta blend together.

I intentionally keep my file sizes small when uploading photos to Dan's website. If you want a better quality file, send me an email to:

highpoint@championhotrod.com

and tell me which photo # you want. The file sizes I've scanned are about 1 MB. If you're on dial up internet access this will take several minutes to download each file so be prepared.

I took about 96 photos at this race but most are not worth viewing. For example, I have a shot of an ASH in the distance on the back straightaway. After the first scan I could only make out a "W" in the boat number. Now if you're the kid in that ASH, and this trip to Florida in the middle of the winter was the trip of your lifetime, then you'd want to see the photo. But for most folks I don't think it would be interesting.

I'm glad others think that photo #3 is Jeff Hutchins because that's who I thought too. But after finding these photos I had "Jeff Hutchins on the brain" and I was looking at every driver thinking it was Jeff. Perhaps that's because he was one of the few Florida drivers that I raced against before I actually moved to Florida. At the 1974 Eastern Divisionals in Lowell, Massachusetts I finished second to Jeff's first in two out of three heats of 25SSH with one heat thrown out for gun jumping (who, me????). Jeff was a better driver, and faster, but at 17 years old I was just thrilled that I could almost keep up with him. He went on to become the 25SSH champion that year.

Mike Ross - I agree, 46N is a 35SSR (Photo D)

Photo 5 - 103F in 25SSR. It looks like this runabout has dual fins: one underneath and one at the rear of the chine.

Photo 6 - Another alky, F14

Photo 7 - Some photos are going to be be harder to identify than others. There's no visible boat number, no visible engine to help identify the class, just "Smilin' Jack". This is the "before" picture of Photo #8.

Photo 8 - This is the tweaked version of Photo 7. I'm getting used to what settings work.

Enjoy!

Comment

Photo # 5 - F-103 is Bill Kuhn. He was also one of the many drivers on the Odessa Boys Race Team, as well as the founder/builder of "Samurai Raceboats". They were very light, tough & fast Hydro's. As a teenager, I was lucky enough to have Bill choose me to race his own very fast & competitive Samurai 20ssH/Formula 350H for quite a number of years (I always did pretty well in it). Bill really was a nice talented guy who knew exactly what he was doing on building a hydroplane. Bill (and most of the Odessa Boys) also had an incredibly funny sense of humor!! I'll have to start a thread on/about some of the hilarious Odessa Boys exploits that have happened in the past at various race sites...
                          Alas, Bill closed shop and quit making (and racing) Samurai's in the early 80's. Last I heard, he was working for Gulfwind Marina in Clearwater...

Photo #6 - F-14 - I believe is either Tommy Small (Tim Small's father) or Donald Eldredge in 250ccH (because his Son David's number was "F-114"). Oddly for some reason, I distinctly remember Tommy Small's 250 rig, because it always sounded like it rev'd somewhat higher RPM's then the rest of the 250's of the day.

Anyone remember the PRO Nationals @ Winona Minn. in (I believe) 1977? There were so many registered 250's, that EACH of the 4 Qualification heats could only put the top 3 (out of 12) finishers into the Final heat.
                          The final heat ended up being a veritable "Who's Who" of PRO boat racing, containing names like "Kirts, Compton, Harden, Henderson, Small, Cooper, Conklin, Eldredge, Pugh, Butts etc... Oddly, I don't remember who took home the title that year, but it was a race I still remember to this day.
                          G

Comment

#4 46-N could it be Bill Jeffery of Farmingdale NY in his Pickerell blunt nose runabout. Life jacket appears to be the type he wore as does his posture (driving style).

Comment

Working...
                            X