Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

George....................

Originally posted by G Stillwill View Post
    They are all of my Dad the first set was a Marchetti(spelling) 36-J all the rest are Sids. That set was taken at the Delaware Water Gap. The second set was Dad and Donney Christy at Greenwood lake I think. The life jackets were Kapock if I remember right that one came from Sears and the Helmet was steel with leather straps I think been along time ago Heres some with the 20H all are Sids cant remember who the E boat was
    Your showing your age again with all these old pics!! I think it's passed your bedtime toooo!!

Matt.........zzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

That one was at the Philly Boat show where DVORA had a booth set up and non other then Mr Phils boat on display. They also had home movies going on to of boats racing. Great way to attract new racers. Heres one can anyone name whos in the picture. Two are easy.
      Attached Files
      Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

OK George,....Your Dad's hold'n the awards.....who's the young fell'a bust'n a grin look'n at him?.....(Nice suit!!)......I think I got the "easy ones"...any other guess's?

What color were the gas tanks on yer Dad's Kg's?.....There's a fell'a at the lake here that has a yellow tank powerhead that belonged to some "Doc" that was a team owner back in the day....He's wanted to run it on one of my rigs some time...maybe this year and will post some pics.........

Have ya got any pics of the 100N...Fast Freddie Bieger/Marchetti's and his Martins/Hot-Rods ?....Where the Martins any competition back in the day?

Very cool times!

Is there a area at the Clayton, NY. museum....or an actual "Hall of champions" to tour/store/donate/preserve some of this history?
        Still need to get to the Carnegie Museum/Pittsburg,Pa. to see Chuck Youngs display

Seems like it would interest'n if a room at the National Meetings was set up to display some of this,..it would be a big hit.....If we could a collection of those "home movies" on dvd I bet they make a great fund raiser!....some Gold cup stuff start'n to show up on U-tube ...Like Munsee ram'n and sink'n a Coast Guard boat with an Unlimited rig.......

There are books out on the history of outboard motors and the big hydros......anything on the kneel down classes?......would be cool to have some book that you could find each years history and how the kneeler's have evolved.

Looks like George could fill several chapters............

19P
        Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 12-14-2008, 07:07 AM.
        100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

There are books by Peter Hunn that have some of the history, but nothing near a complete history or accurate year by year evolution.

I have collected a huge mass of old magazines, books and racing newsletters to write such a book, but the work is more than you'd imagine. For instance, there have been about 150 different racing motors made by manufacturers that actually made a whole motor; this leaves out builders like O.F. Christner who only made powerheads and no lower units.

I started a thread to begin at the start and work its way along, but only got to the first 5 or 6 years ... 80 years more to go: http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...read.php?t=334

Comment

Look at the hoses on the 20H's

Some while back there was a discusion on this site or BRF about the color of the fuel hoses on the early 20H conversions. I remember putting one of the first kits from the NJ distributor together white fuel lines. Thanks for the photo's they help prove what I said.
            David Van Weele
            Attached Files

Comment

Great shots George. I too thank you for posting them. Sure brings back fond memories with the Sidcrafts.

Comment

Brings back a lot of memories

Seeing Don Christy running an "A" in all the locations my brother and I raced sure is great to see. Looking at Don's engines you could always see his white fuel tanks. I bought one of his engines some time ago still with the white tank. Also have his propeller collection, some 48 props in a really large prop box. I posted photos here:http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/sho...t=8549&page=15
                Alan
                Last edited by OldRacerBU; 12-14-2008, 11:25 AM.

Comment

a-u

my dad roy 54-55
                  Attached Files

Comment

You are correct the conversion kits did have white fuel lines and still say that the first few kits came with KA-2A carbs before they came out with the KA-7A. Most of Donneys stuff was Pink and Red boat decks were pink with red numbers and most of the A motors were pink tanks with red bands. But as many motors he had some were painted different. Steve all Dads stuff was painted light blue. The boat decks were light blue with darl blue numbers and the A motors were light blue tanks and white rims. Heres the last to to make the family complete. The first is me 1976 Cooper River, Camden NJ and my best A motor MK-15 Pumper which Ray Hammond has now. The second one is my sister Janice at Cooper River a little earlier. My boat is a Sid built by Paul DeFebo which has all of Sids gigs and templetts for the Hydros. Jans boat is a Sid short sponson A boat.
                    Attached Files
                    Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

Christy engine

Your right! I went out and looked close at the engine and pulled the recoil. The engine is a real light pink with a Red band. Sitting around all these years it must of faded a bit.

Alan

Comment

So who is the picture at DVORA??

I see Pappy Stillwill and John Schubert.

Cooper

Comment

Kim Birmingham's ASH

These pics aren't as exciting as George's, but here's Mr. Kim Birmingham's ASH from 1973 at Portsmouth VA. Is this a Sid-Craft or a Sid-Son?

Kim was an experienced driver by the time I started racing ASH in 1973 even though we were about the same age. Typically he and this boat were always in front of me.

Once we were exiting a turn and I was just behind him to his outside. He looked over his shoulder, saw me, and bumped his right hip against the cockpit just hard enough to shower me with his roostertail. Fun times for a rookie...
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Mark 72@E; 12-14-2008, 04:46 PM.
                          @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
                          72@E
                          Former Boat Racer
                          21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
                          20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

Yep Coop and right in front of John is Rich Kitchen and his Dad and the other with his back facing is Bill Parker cant remember who the young kid is smilling or the woman with her back facing.

Comment

George's Pictures

George: I think the one picture showing 163-N is Ed Liabach??? name spelling. I raced against his son Leo Liabach. One of my ASH heats in 1959 was as follow: Roy miner, Don Christy, Bud Goodwin, Ted Thompson, Herb Lanphear, and others. What a race!! I was too young to know who these guys were. Good thing though.

Sincerely,
                              Don Graham

Comment

Gary Pond step up to the plate.

I know Gary Pond has got to have some pics of his old racing partner Lynn Midgets A Hydro with the Merc on it.
                                Wow guys we are telling our age just a little.
                                Tim Lee

Comment

Working...
                                X