I'm out.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm out.....

I want to thanks everyone who have responded to my questions. The folks from DVORA for taking the time to show me around and try like crazy to get me on the water. Great group of folks but after much assessment I have decided not to continue my quest to become involved with outboard racing. I wish everyone a safe and fun 2019 season. I may make it to a couple of races but only as a spectator, these are fun to watch......Sincerely, Dave Cofone

Take one for a ride, then make your decision.

Comment

Looks like one flew over the cuckoo's nest...
      Getting into stock outboard is one of the hardest things I've ever done
      But I'm glad I hung in there
      I think Mr Cafone needs to talk to Mr Novotny-
      Frank saved my boat racing dream from oblivion
      522-P

Comment

Try to stick with it Dave . I am new to racing also I started in 2017 . The people I race with are Amazing to say the least. I have borrowed everything thing to get in the water including an entire rig with the fuel.

Comment

This is not an easy endeavor to get into. You simply cannot go down to a dealership and buy a motor. This is a serious problem not having new motors readily available to purchase. It is seriously hindering growth. I’m not going to discuss what goes into being competitive in say 20 or C, that’s a whole other ball game.

Comment

dave, don't give up your quest. in the end we regret the things we don't do than the things we did.
            Don't Quit
            By Edgar A. Guest (1881-1959)?
            See Don't Quit: Who is the Author?
            When Things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
            When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
            When the funds are low and debts are high,
            And you want to Smile but have to sigh.
            When care is pressing you down a bit,
            Rest, if you must, but don't you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
            As everyone of us sometimes learns,
            And many a failure turns about,
            When he might have won if he'd stuck it out,
            Don't give up though the pace seems slow,
            You might succeed with another blow.

Often the struggler has given up,
            When he might captured the victor's cup.
            And he learned too late, when the night slipped down,
            How close he was to the golden crown,

Success is failure turned inside out,
            The silver tint of clouds of doubt,
            And you never can tell how close you are,
            It may be near when it seems afar,
            So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit,
            It's when things seem worst that you mustn't quit.

Comment

It really comes down to one question,"do I want to race"or not! You asked plenty of other good questions, and you got plenty of good answers.There is plenty of good equiptment available to purchase both used and new.Yes, there are several classes that new engines can be purchased, right now.There is not a more friendly motorsport racing division in existence than stock outboard boat racing.You just did'nt answer the most important question, or you would of found a way!

Comment

• Dave Cofone
                Dave Cofone commented
                Editing a comment
                Okay, I guess I didn't word things correctly in my opening statement. I was trying to say thanks for all the support and answers to my questions....while I collect information as to weather I want to get involved in Stock Outboard Racing. I have collected what I felt was enough information to ultimately determine SO is not the right fit for me. I am not 'quitting' I cannot quit something I have not even started. Yes I want to race and I am still involved with inboards and that is probably where I will stay. The outboards are cool and it seemed like fun but the expense in reality is far higher than what I was made to believe. After a used boat and engine I still have to buy a cut suit, new helmet, trailer, props, spares etc. That cannot be had for 25-3500.00. I was looking at closer to 5-8500 dollars to get started. It is for this reason plus the lack of available equipment that I have decided this isn't for me. As for all the comments that I am somehow a quitter because I have decided to go in another direction is a bit insulting. I am going on my third year as a cancer survivor........I know a thing or two about quitting and I think I have proven I am no quitter.....

• ZUL8TR
                ZUL8TR commented
                Editing a comment
                Great reasons Dave. Anybody that deal with the dreadful C deserves a big applaud. You will do what you know best and good luck with that and continued success dealing with C.

Best to you
                Pete

You have to get the same stuff to race inboards as outboards. There is a lot of used stuff to get started with. Then get better as you can. No one is calling you a quitter, just don't really want a fresh face to dissapear without trying to keep you around I Know what you mean about Cancer as I'm an eleven yr survivor of Colon C . Stick with a positive attitude no matter what you decide. Remember every day is a blessing. You could always go Pro and come race antiques with me.
              David Everhart S52
              David Everhart S52
              Avatar credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

• Dave Cofone
                Dave Cofone commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome, congratulations on 11 years. You are 100% correct. Every day is a blessing, every moment is a gift and I cherish them all......it's great to be alive. God bless you.

Interesting: It appears he’s also pulling out of racing inboards too:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3877...242044?sfns=cl

As much as we all like it, clearly our sport is not for everyone.

R-19
              www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

Comment

I think Daren summed this up best and everyone should keep this in mind when speaking to new folks in the pits etc. Never down sell or downplay the cost of getting started. Always be honest upfront and never say things like "you can get started dirt cheap" be honest. Also, make sure to tell new folks certain parts of the country can be described as powerboat racing deserts so depending on your location you might also need a huge travel budget. I know everyone here gets my point so no need to ramble on.

mercguy replied to Increasing participation in SO
                in General Hydroplane & Runabout Discussion

11-30-2018, 04:42 PM

we need to quit trying to "downsell" our sport and cheapen it trying to tell people they can get into racing for $2500-3500!...………...is that what we really want? Be honest and not try to be deceptive...….tell them it is a minimum $5000 investment, if that is too much for them, then so be..

HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

My all in investment for a 500 mod hydro with cut suit and a new helmet was $4600 so it can be done . That was in 2016.

Comment

Sorry, I'll argue with that $5,000. It cost me a tad over $3600...and that was boat, motor, trailer, and brand new cut suit and helmet. I will say, though, that if your goal is to jump right in and be a front runner, then yes, expect to spend more. I don't think telling somone it can be done for under $5,000 is deceptive at all. But, you do need to also explain that looking to go on the cheap means it's going to take longer to find your rig. Also, it's fair to tell them too that it's possible to get started on the cheap and not have to buy it all up front. One of the draws for us is that we're all interested in getting people on the water, so if you can get a rig, but can't afford a cut suit, someone will have some pants, sleeves, and jacket you can wear to race in until you can get your own, and so on.

I'm all for being up front, but make sure you give them all the details.
                    Dane Lance
                    700-P
                    CSH/500Mod

Comment

Working...
                    X