Max McPeek Dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max McPeek Dies

Just heard through the grapevine Max McPeek died on September 4th 2017. I can remember him well as I ran a boat he sold us and i won my first marathon National's with it. Anyone who has any info on his death please share it. Great racer! Won Topinabee several times and was always tough to beat in short coarse.
    mike ross

My condolences to his family. Max was a really nice person and a great boat racer. I always knew him as an A Stock Runabout 'AU' guy.

When he retired from Boat Racing he wrote a letter in the APBA Propeller telling everyone how he enjoyed racing and knowing everyone.

Did he build his own boats.... I can't seem to remember?
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• greatpumpkin
      greatpumpkin commented
      Editing a comment
      Race in peace Blue max.

Max was both a good friend and boat racer. He and I went to races together when we were young. Max was the first racer to win Top o 10 times,.

Comment

Originally posted by vic brinkman View Post
      Max was both a good friend and boat racer. He and I went to races together when we were young. Max was the first racer to win Top o 10 times,.
      10 times winning Top-O..... Now that is a real boat racing accomplishment.

Was that in A Stock Runabout 'AU'?
      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Obituary for Maxwell McPeek. Peters & Murray Funeral Home. Grand Ledge Mi.

Comment

9-M "The Blue Max". Max McPeek had a business card that read Max McPeek Racing Enterprises "The 007 of Boat Racing". For years he towed his rig with a White Corvette.Racing during the KG-4 period of the "A" class. His equipment was super-clean and meticulously prepared. I'm a bit too young to know his early history. I do remember in the early 70's he switched from Maloof hulls to Hansen. He campaigned Hansen's until the early 80's when he switched to Austin's.

While Max wasn't a boat builder, engine worker or prop guy, he understood the package and tested religiously. He was quite professional about it. More so than anyone else that I remember. In the late 70's Max would pick me up as his crew to test in the river by our home in Marshall, MI. He would usually test on a weekday to have the water to himself. We would spend the whole afternoon as he methodically ran through propellors and motors. Sometimes trying the same set-up two or three times. End of the day he would always slide me a couple bucks or take my brother Mike and I for an ice cream. Many weekends he would come back to match test against Andy. He really worked hard at the sport.

Max was a great friend to our family when we lived in Michigan. When he retired from racing he gave Andy his best Austin hull with a small brass plaque mounted on the dash that read "Andy, I'm riding with you". As a young person looking up to him he was super classy and cool. Race on Max.

Comment

I'm really sorry to hear about Max McPeek. I visited his home mid 70s. It was somewhere up by Battle Creek MI....I was taken there by my uncle Clark Maloof and my cousin Marc Maloof. Clark and Max were very tight and I, even as a young lad, could tell they admired and respected each other for their racing prowess and knowledge. I just want to say what a gracious host and a true gentleman he was. It was a beautiful home...very neat, clean and organized.....even his shop. I'd already known what a great racer he was so being in his home was a total honor. - Diz-

Comment

I'd love to see some pictures of Max and some of his equipment. Dig deep fella's I know there out there.
              mike ross

Comment

• greatpumpkin
                greatpumpkin commented
                Editing a comment
                Mike, A neat picture of Max on Michigan Hydroplane Facebook. Under -Posts-Comments-Connie Little/Dave.
            Working...
            X