Wheels and tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels and tires

I am building my new trailer to haul my hydroplane boat and I am in need of new wheels and tires. Should I go with tires that are radials or bias?
    flatiron44P

Get tires that are specifically for trailers. They are usually 8 or 10 ply tires. I'm not sure if they are bias or radial. Probably bias.

But for sure they are specifically for trailers.
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

I recommend a radial trailer tire -- like Dean said, it's a specific trailer tire. I've been happier with radial trailer tires; they seem to wear better than the bias ply.
      Dave
      42-C

Comment

use a ST205 75 r 15 0r a st 225 75 r 15
        Jeff

Comment

If you are building new from scratch, the size of the tire should be able to hold the amount of weight as the axle you are using.
          ​I.E. a 2000# capacity axle would equate to a 13" wheel & tire,, a 2800# axle would equate to a 14" wheel & tire and a 3500# axle would
          ​equate to a 15" wheel & tire. This is just a general rule of thumb. One must also take into consideration the total number of boats & motors
          ​that will occupy said trailer.

Comment

• ZUL8TR
            ZUL8TR commented
            Editing a comment
            also the balance of the loaded trailer should have tongue weight and total loaded weight compatible with the vehicle you are using.

Radials for sure. My trailer had 13" on it when I got it, so that's what I put back on it. A boat and an engine or two isn't a significant load (heck even two boats and two motors isn't much). I also opted for aluminum wheels (look better and don't rust).

Here's the site I bought my wheels and tires from and what I bought. They shipped fast and have good prices (best I could find after looking around): http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com...R17513C635545S

​I paid the $6.00 per wheel to have them pre-balanced also.

Also consider the fenders (if you need to add those). I bought fenders online and they ended up being too small, so bought some over at tractor supply (http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...n?cm_vc=-10005). Fenders to fit 14" or 15" wheels are pricier as well.

Dane Lance
          700-P
          CSH/500Mod

Comment

Working...
          X