Future of Boat Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future of Boat Racing

This subject comes up from time to time usually with no real answers to solve the problem we are undergoing. I just read a short interview with Don Prudhomme, whom I am sure needs no intoduction here.

One of the questions asked of him was "What is the state of drag racing today?"

His answer, not in entirety was "Now it's more of a cult following. It's on TV and they have a certain amount of ratings and ... that's it. They can't grow beyond that. The [event attendance] situation is the same. The fans are older now. And their kids don't especially care for drag racing. But they don't care for any other racing, either. And the proof in the pudding is you go to Bakersfield for the California Hot Rod Renuniuon and all you see are guys my age."

This coming from one of the guys who helped to put drag racing on the map. He and Tom hooked up with Matel to promote drag racing thru Hot Wheels. How many kids did he attract to the sport? Who knows? We are not the only ones who are struggling, with no real answer in sight. Even NASCAR, who seemed to have had it figured out through personalities and spectacular wrecks is having their troubles too. I don't know the answer either, I guess we just continue as best we can we programs like the NorCal 400. It's not the answer but it is better than doing nothing, but meanwhile do we continue as a "cult" or what? As has been stated we can't keep doing the same thing and expect different results. And all us old guys are retiring, going to Paradise Lake or just plain giving it up. We need some kind hook to attract new blood and get them off their ipads to see what the real world is about.
    kk

I think its time for the under 40 set to get out of the shop and into the sack- Start spittin' out J drivers like Pez.------------ Problem solved !!!

Comment

• dwhitford
      dwhitford commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL, that's funny, Shawn, despite borderline risque.

• LarryR
      LarryR commented
      Editing a comment
      Where is the "Like" Button?

Originally posted by krazy karl View Post
    This subject comes up from time to time usually with no real answers to solve the problem we are undergoing. I just read a short interview with Don Prudhomme, whom I am sure needs no intoduction here.
    One of the questions asked of him was "What is the state of drag racing today?"
    His answer, not in entirety was "Now it's more of a cult following. It's on TV and they have a certain amount of ratings and ... that's it. They can't grow beyond that. The [event attendance] situation is the same. The fans are older now. And their kids don't especially care for drag racing. But they don't care for any other racing, either. And the proof in the pudding is you go to Bakersfield for the California Hot Rod Renuniuon and all you see are guys my age."
    This coming from one of the guys who helped to put drag racing on the map. He and Tom hooked up with Matel to promote drag racing thru Hot Wheels. How many kids did he attract to the sport? Who knows? We are not the only ones who are struggling, with no real answer in sight. Even NASCAR, who seemed to have had it figured out through personalities and spectacular wrecks is having their troubles too. I don't know the answer either, I guess we just continue as best we can we programs like the NorCal 400. It's not the answer but it is better than doing nothing, but meanwhile do we continue as a "cult" or what? As has been stated we can't keep doing the same thing and expect different results. And all us old guys are retiring, going to Paradise Lake or just plain giving it up. We need some kind hook to attract new blood and get them off their ipads to see what the real world is about.
    kk
    Karl,

When was this article written ? Looks like some valid points. Younger kids might rather be playing video games... I guess ???

Nor Cal 400..... Region 11

Novice C.......... Region 10

302SS............. Back East, Mid - West, Regions 6 and 7.

Maybe some day these classes could be combined ?? But I would prefer it to be 302SS, because nothing is Blueprinted.

Back in the day, I built my own boats, worked on my own motors... But I did buy R. Allen "Papa" Smith propellers.

Good Luck,

Dean Hobart.... Racing Boats Since 1962.
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

This was in the "what i'd do differently" column on the last page of the latest issue of Car and Driver which I just got in the mail yesterday. The only thing Don said he would have done differently is to have stayed in school and gotten a better education. How many times have you heard that. I think he did pretty well for himself despite his lack of education. lol
      kk

Comment

I think we need to race in places like they do in japan. In four different spots in the us north west east and south. we would know where the races are and the public would know where the races are and it would just work out great if someone like lucus oil would build a new facility to operate our races..

Comment

Dean pointed out some interesting stuff....the popularity of different classes in different parts of the country....I want to see the 302 Super Stock hydro class grow......sure solves a lot of problems. I get a great deal of enjoyment out of designing my own boats and building them....my race shop fronts a busy road....and there are kids walking by all the time. I sometimes have a boat parked right next to the sidewalk, and in the 3 years that I have had the place I have had ONE kid stop, out of the hundreds that walk by....ONE. I just think that most kids are more interested in video games and stuff now....even though in Region 10 we have a fantastic J class......I do have some ideas on how to improve things nation wide, but they would not be very popular.

Comment

Our racing always is difficult,today's times are not favorable for us. Decisions have and will continue to cause harm as more often than not they are not what is good for the sport but good for only a few. Add to that the dwindling middle class and lack of prosperity and all sports are where they are.

Comment

In NBRA, we have large fields of A(20) and C hydros. We have Novice Class which has a restrictor plate for the motors which is provided free. It works best on the 80 yamato, which is available at reasonable price. Open to 10 years and older, runabout or hydro. The boats with this set up run in the 40'smph. When you turn 14, you can remove the plate and run in the A class. I have taken Braxton Miller through both programs APBA J program and the Novice class in NBRA. Both have good parts, the J program is highly competitive and expensive. Although you can compete in the next step, the AX classes for life, most kids out grow the weight restrictions by the age 14. You do get allot of seat time but it is more expensive than the Novice class. The growth in start up classes in NBRA, have the increase in females racing these classes. 50% of the participants in the classes have been in females, mostly in the 14-21 year olds. Fathers who race, have their daughters join them. So growth in racing numbers can be doubled by making boat racing attractive to females.

Comment

Region ten, with SOA and CORA running most of the outboard races, had a fantastic 2014 season. I have been involved "full time" from 1985, and I can't remember a year where we had full fields in almost every class we raced....that being said, we may have become a victim of our own success. We have so many classes, so many racers, that we sometimes can't get done with things by 6pm....we have a bright future, but we can't rest on our laurels.....

Comment

Karl, I really like your NorCal program. The one thing against is that after they're done racing we have to tell them you can't race that boat as there are no classes for that particular setup, go find another one you can actually buy and enter in a race. I remember talking to a NorCal driver recently, who has done it a few times. I asked him if he'd ever thought about getting his own boat to race with us. His answer, "I'd love to, if I could find one." Just think if those NorCals were instead 302ss rigs. Have fun? Well, it's yours, you can buy it, take it home, and continue to race nationally in it. Dave A., I know this is what you've been saying all along but I'm finally seeing the light; I wish we had a couple of racers that could each carry a spare 302ss rig around and hang a FOR SALE sign on them in the pits.

Incidentally, Dave, where do you guys find your J drivers for the boat-building program you have up there? I wonder if the answer to that can be applied in other regions?
                  Dave
                  42-C

Comment

Racing just to expensive in are region when you consider the gas to get to the races registration hotel food. Nearest race course is a 100 miles away for me. Most people aren't willing to pay 500 to 600 to race one weekend and that's a low number I spend much more when I race in arizona. 302ss class is a cool concept halestorm but. Probaly won't work in our region just because there just not enough time in a day to get all the races in as you saw at parker.

Comment

Originally posted by daveracerdsh View Post
                      Dean pointed out some interesting stuff....the popularity of different classes in different parts of the country....I want to see the 302 Super Stock hydro class grow......sure solves a lot of problems. I get a great deal of enjoyment out of designing my own boats and building them....my race shop fronts a busy road....and there are kids walking by all the time. I sometimes have a boat parked right next to the sidewalk, and in the 3 years that I have had the place I have had ONE kid stop, out of the hundreds that walk by....ONE. I just think that most kids are more interested in video games and stuff now....even though in Region 10 we have a fantastic J class......I do have some ideas on how to improve things nation wide, but they would not be very popular.
                      Dave,

Bring those "Not very popular" ideas to the next SOA meeting....... Dec. 16th, correct? I would like to hear them. That's how some good things can get done.
                      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

We have a wide range of boat racing in the U S. Drag boats have become the most notable because of their sponsorship and TV contracts. On the other side is stock race , sponsored by the racer them selfs. In the middle is USTS and NBRA still getting local sponsors that provide tow money. The numbers of racers has fallen sharply for a variety of reasons. This has caused more travel and more time between the races. One racer told me he spends $1,000 per weekend, but many get by for less. Tow money only pays for one gas fill up, on the average. Racing in the NBRA has had attempt to provide entertainment to earn the prize (tow) money from the sponsor. Very few knee down racers have a sponsor that pays for equipment or travel. The most entertaining races are those with 10 or more boats. Many classes with 3-4 boats are just not too entertaining, specially when the second heat has even fewer. I have been concern that racing last too long in the afternoon. The time to get home when you race after 4:00 is often stressful for the whole family. Very people are watching our races after 4:00. We in the Midwest, are doing Ok, if we continue to at least get a few new racer and continue to find lakes and sponsors. I do not have a weekend open for 2015, and now talking to sponsors about 2016!

Comment

The one thing that concerns me is that we have so many teams that are dependent on 1 person to keep it alive. Without old timers like myself Leonard Miller, Larry Mc, Alan Van weele, Dr. Glen Nelson, and I am sure I am missing others. Would these Teams continue on? Really hard to say. Loose these teams and you knock the heart out of NBRA. I am sure its the same in the other organizations
                          Art K

Comment

Very true when the families that have been around for generations are gone so is racing as we know it.. Younger folks have to many options to choose from theses days to spend they spare cash on. And many of them are cheaper than racing.. Also some groups put so much into the young kids programs that many of the old folks footing the bill never get out on the water.. They run out of time for the day..And when those young kids graduate from high school they go to college and move on.. Thats what I am see in our area.. If a couple more core groups move it will be over for this area
                            Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Working...
                            X