my helmet smells like a locker room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my helmet smells like a locker room

after 3 days of racing at lock haven my helmet smells like a locker room in the summer. it smelled that way before the weekend too. what do you use to get it dry and to make it smell spring fresh I thought I had and old sock in it but there wasn't one.

frank
    52-E

Frank,
    First thing, you shouldn't have had the extra onions on your bratwurst at Lock Haven. Most motorcycle shops, especially the dirt bike dealers would have a spray product called Helmet Fresh., it's a 4 oz spray bottle. SpeedwayMotors.com also carries it.

Pete
    Don't laugh.....it's borrowed!!

Comment

I use febreeze, and let it air outside.

Comment

+1 for Febreeze, and direct sunlight.
        Ian Augustine

Comment

reprint from Motor Cyclist,
          So, what's the proper method to wash one's helmet? We asked a couple of helmet industry insiders, and their answers are a lot simpler than you might imagine. Arai recommends immersing your lid completely in soapy water, shampoo being a good bet as it's mild yet good at dissolving the dirt and oils that collect on the comfort liner. Shoei espouses a similar method, though it specifically recommends Woolite. Most of Arai's and Shoei's current helmets have removable liners, which make cleaning a much easier affair as they can simply be removed and dunked. Helmets with non-removable liners must be completely immersed. A word of warning: Although Arai and Shoei use adhesives that aren't affected by water, other helmets may not be so designed. Check with the manufacturer if you're unsure.

Warm, soapy water is an ideal mixture for cleaning your helmet's exterior and shield, too. Use a soft, non-abrasive towel or rag to gently remove dirt and bugs, and a soft brush or Q-tip to remove any pesky insects that dove kamikaze-style into a vent or crevice.

Remember that a thorough rinsing and drying-which can take as long as three days in a well-ventilated area-is key to a happy helmet. Don't use heat, which can damage the EPS liner. Dry your helmet after a hot and sweaty ride, too; few things are worse than yanking a lid off your sweaty head and putting it in a dark, damp place for the evening- though the surprise you'll get the next morning will likely keep you from doing it again.

Comment

Frank, do you really think it smells that good. That is an odor only an old racer can appreciate. The trick is putting it on and staying upwind. But then your pit crew wants to be upwind too.

It was a really good weekend at "the Lock".
            Jeff
            5-P

Comment

Open a box of Baking soda and set your helmet on top of it. Works for me
              Hebert's Racing
              Tylane Hebert 8L

Comment

Originally posted by hebert8l View Post
                Open a box of Baking soda and set your helmet on top of it. Works for me
                This is what I do too. I keep a bunch of baking soda around. Keep some mixed up with water for battery acid spills, and makes a good cleaner/hand wash.
                Mark 55P
                Team Tower
                Hydroplane Division

Comment

thanks for all the advise. actually I'm going to try all the ideas. after I dry it out i'll use some spray. after the season i'll remove the inner pads and wash them and dry them real good. see some of you at Wilson and Millville.

frank
                  52-E
                  the smelly one

Comment

I use dryer sheets when I store my helmet after a race and it smells fresh as a daisy at the next race!😎

Comment

Frank, you are working too hard if you're sweating that much. Chill out and enjoy the ride. Remember, "No Sweat". Jack

Comment

jack,

I think it's the 4 years of putting it away wet in the carrying case I'm gonna get it fresh as a spring breeze

frank

Comment

Working...
                        X