• Show
Clear All

• Photo "Gems" from the Past

Click image for larger version

Name:	HighPoint_DSC_6122_2R2.jpg
Views:	1318
Size:	912.8 KB
ID:	460544

So as I'm looking through years of boat racing photos trying to catalog them into something searchable that makes sense, I keep coming across "gems". Maybe a photo that I didn't notice before but now my "editor's eye" is seeing it differently after all these years.

I consider there to be one "flaw" in this boat racing photo. What do you think it is? Or I'll say it another way. If you were the driver in this photo, would you want this photo hanging on a wall in your home to show to friends and family? And if not, why not?

From Millville, NJ, Spring 2006. Please help me by identifying the driver (I feel like I should know).
    Last edited by Mark 72@E; 12-10-2017, 06:05 AM.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
    72@E
    Former Boat Racer
    21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
    20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Great pic!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark 72@E View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]n460544[/ATTACH]

So as I'm looking through years of boat racing photos trying to catalog them into something searchable that makes sense, I keep coming across "gems". Maybe a photo that I didn't notice before but now my "editor's eye" is seeing it differently after all these years.

I consider there to be one "flaw" in this boat racing photo. What do you think it is? Or I'll say it another way. If you were the driver in this photo, would you want this photo hanging on a wall in your home to show to friends and family? And if not, why not?

From Millville, NJ, Spring 2006. Please help me by identifying the driver (I feel like I should know it).
      Great photo..... I do not see any flaw in this photo. Sorry, I do not know who it is..... Obviously someone from Massachusetts. I’m sure someone will know who it is.

Yes, if that was me, I would want one.
      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Well I have looked at the picture several times and I can't find any flaws either. Will wait to see how bad my eyes are when you reveal it. Would I hang this up in a heart beat, great picture of the boat and driver, and great angle by the photographer.

Comment

helmet strap?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark 72@E View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]n460544[/ATTACH]

From Millville, NJ, Spring 2006. Please help me by identifying the driver (I feel like I should know it).
            No tow eye on the bow ?

Comment

There is a roll-up on his outside about to close the door and ruin his day!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Young 94-N View Post
                There is a roll-up on his outside about to close the door and ruin his day!!!!

That is the answer I was looking for, the "flaw" that I see, although it sounds like Dave may have some first hand knowledge. Specifically, most boat racers only want pictures of themselves "winning" or at least photos with the appearance of them winning. The turbulence in the water off the starboard bow shows that another boat is close and out in front of 2-B.

Part of this exercise was to see if I was "overthinking" this. Since no one figured it out right away, but eventually did, the jury is still out on this.

And the name of the driver? Anyone...anyone.....anyone...?
                Last edited by Mark 72@E; 12-10-2017, 06:11 AM.
                @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
                72@E
                Former Boat Racer

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

• 14J
                  14J commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thompson on the wheel

• dwhitford
                  dwhitford commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My post-mature comment is that compositionally, this great action shot shows the boat driving OUT of the left edge of the frame, rather than into more nearly the center.

I know . . . nitpicking!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n460565[/ATTACH] Sometimes having another boat or something else in the backround can make a photo more dramatic.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by racingfan1; 12-10-2017, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Or so far out in front he's about to lap the last place driver ...🤗
                  Untethered from reality!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	HighPoint_DSC_8434R1.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	460578

Originally posted by racingfan1 View Post
                    Sometimes having another boat or something else in the backround can make a photo more dramatic.
                    I absolutely agree! Having two subjects in the photo can make it more interesting!
                    @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
                    72@E
                    Former Boat Racer

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

There's no way in hello I would hang that 99 boat picture on my wall nope no way!!!!! Unless there was a picture prior showing ne passing him lol

Comment

Working...
                      X